Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Argentina's Milei faces biggest protest yet as students march over budget cuts - Riots going going to start soon

Avocado

People's patience will wear off. You are starting to see it already. Hundreds of thousands of students protested.

I do believe the foreign students should have to pay but not sure what % that is. I think it would be reasonable to make students pay something for University but it's a slippery slope once you allow them to charge and doing what they did on health insurance rates.

Argentina can't afford to pay for other students. The question of should it be free for all Argentines? That is a good question.

What they should probably do is charge something but give guaranteed student loans by the government that maybe can be forgiven if they work in various professions for a few years for the State like being a doctor at a public health clinic.

I never understood Argentina's desire to provide free university tuition for all of Mersosur. That didn't make sense at all. Most of these people don't even stay in Argentina so Argentines are not benefitting. I don't believe they should charge too much for University for citizens. Take a good education away from people that don't have much and it's a recipe for disaster.

I do believe the foreign students should have to pay but not sure what % that is. I think it would be reasonable to make students pay something for University but it's a slippery slope once you allow them to charge and doing what they did on health insurance rates.

Argentina can't afford to pay for other students. The question of should it be free for all Argentines? That is a good question.

What they should probably do is charge something but give guaranteed student loans by the government that maybe can be forgiven if they work in various professions for a few years for the State like being a doctor at a public health clinic.
I totally agree with the idea of charging a monthly fee to foreigners, this would solve a large part of the problem.

I believe this has been the most intense and genuine protest during the Milei era. It serves as a wake-up call, especially considering that a significant portion of the attendees are Milei's supporters; in fact, around 60% of his voter base comprises young people.

Back