Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Trying to make a budget for a month in Buenos Aires. How much do these things cost?

George99

Hello everyone, I am a 30 year old man. I am trying to make a budget for a 1 month stay in Buenos Aires, e just to estimate what my expenses will be and have enough money.

I already have lodging, so I'm not factoring it in.

- Groceries for one person for a week. I cook a lot at home and would probably only eat out once a fortnight at a restaurant, and a couple of times a week at street food stalls (which I love!). I'm pretty good in the kitchen, I love doing it!
- Two haircuts in a month (I don't need a fancy hairdresser/stylist).
- Sim card with lots of data for a month-.
- One visit to the laundromat per week, with 1 full load.
- Maybe a coffee in the morning at a coffee shop a few days a week.
Maybe a beer in the evening at a bar a couple of nights a week.

Can you think of anything I'm missing?

At the moment prices have increased almost exaggeratedly but for someone who has an income in dollars or euros this is not a problem.

A week's worth of food, depending on what you eat, can cost between 70 and 100 USD.

Haircuts, no more than 10 USD.

A SIM card for a month, something like 10 USD

(https://www.claro.com.ar/personas/planes-prepago-pospago/turistas), maybe less with other companies, I'm not sure.

Coffee at a coffee shop, depending on the area and location, I'd say about 3 USD, a little more if you order something sweet to go with it (like a croissant).

Beer, again, depending on where you go, I'd say 3 to 7 USD.

Laundry, they charge you by the kilo or by the bag, and prices really vary. In my neighborhood they charge 4 - 7 USD per bag.

I live in one of the most expensive areas of the city and the prices I quote are from stores and supermarkets in my area.

I hope I have helped you!

Hello everyone, I am a 30 year old man. I am trying to make a budget for a 1 month stay in Buenos Aires, e just to estimate what my expenses will be and have enough money.

I already have lodging, so I'm not factoring it in.

- Groceries for one person for a week. I cook a lot at home and would probably only eat out once a fortnight at a restaurant, and a couple of times a week at street food stalls (which I love!). I'm pretty good in the kitchen, I love doing it!
- Two haircuts in a month (I don't need a fancy hairdresser/stylist).
- Sim card with lots of data for a month-.
- One visit to the laundromat per week, with 1 full load.
- Maybe a coffee in the morning at a coffee shop a few days a week.
Maybe a beer in the evening at a bar a couple of nights a week.

Can you think of anything I'm missing?
Do you only plan on walking around or will you take Ubers around? My friend there said Ubers are much more affordable than the US but she said she spends over $10 USD per day just taking Ubers. But she is kind of lazy. She is walking a good bit but she said she takes a few Ubers each day. So you may want to add in some transportation costs.

On my budget, I also have added things like entertainment. Do you plan on going to any movies or concerts or events?
Or do you plan on going on any dates? Our other friend there is blowing through his budget as he only made a budget for his expenses but he is dating many local girls and taking them out to eat so his budget is more. So do you plan on dating there or taking girls or guys out to eat?

My friend blows quite a bit going out to eat and drinking at bars which she said adds up.

Cooking at home will save you a lot of money. The restaurants and especially Palermo is expensive these days.
Cooking will save you a bundle of money. I went down several months ago and I saved a lot of money cooking vs. dining out. Just beware I didn't find the big supermarkets too good vs. the USA where I generally found fresher products and more items. Some larger supermarkets like Jumbo had imported products but some of them were crazy expensive.

Some restaurants were decently prices and some were no par with USA pricing. I used Google Maps to see the restaurants and it will give you a general idea of what pricing is like per person. Even when I was there a few months ago many restaurant menus were changing week to week in pricing. I can't imagine what it is like now.

Do you only plan on walking around or will you take Ubers around? My friend there said Ubers are much more affordable than the US but she said she spends over $10 USD per day just taking Ubers. But she is kind of lazy. She is walking a good bit but she said she takes a few Ubers each day. So you may want to add in some transportation costs.

On my budget, I also have added things like entertainment. Do you plan on going to any movies or concerts or events?
Or do you plan on going on any dates? Our other friend there is blowing through his budget as he only made a budget for his expenses but he is dating many local girls and taking them out to eat so his budget is more. So do you plan on dating there or taking girls or guys out to eat?

My friend blows quite a bit going out to eat and drinking at bars which she said adds up.
This is good to add to your budget. I did not like taking buses as it was hot and crowded. I only used the subway a few times. I saw people stealing phones on the subway and it was also crowded. I walked a lot but used Uber as it was so convenient but it can add up if you are taking them often.

Back