Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Trump strikes deal to allow $800M in beef imports from Argentina to enter US

ElQueso

Active member
Poor US farmers that voted for Trump.


President Trump has struck a new deal increasing beef imports from Argentina despite facing push back from Republicans and allies in the agricultural sector.

Argentina’s foreign ministry said in a statement the agreement was signed Thursday and grants “an unprecedented expansion of preferential access for Argentine beef to its market by 100,000 tons.”

The country’s foreign ministry added that the agreement will ensure an additional 80,000 tons of beef from Argentina can enter U.S. markets by 2026 in addition to the 20,000 tons already allowed. This will amount to an increase of $800 million in Argentine beef exports to the U.S.

The foreign ministry also noted the U.S. government “reaffirmed its commitment” to reviewing its tariffs on aluminum and steel.

Trump is expected to make the announcement Friday.

“President Trump pledged to ink fairer trade deals while supporting our nation’s agriculture industry. Promises made, promises kept!” White House spokesperson Anna Kelly told The Hill’s partners at NewsNation.

The Trump administration announced in November it had reached frameworks of trade deals with Argentina, along with Ecuador, El Salvador, and Guatemala.

The deal is a win for Argentina’s President Javier Milei, who is considered one of Trump’s closest allies in Latin America.

“As you can see, we are strongly committed to making Argentina great again,” Milei said, following the framework’s release last year.

While the deal is a major win for Argentina, Republican lawmakers have voiced opposition to the prospect of boosting Argentine beef imports due to its effect on the U.S.’ agricultural industry.

In a letter sent by more than a dozen House Republicans in October to Agriculture Secretary Brooke Rollins and Trade Representative Jamieson Greer, the GOP lawmakers expressed concern over the Trump administration’s plan to increase beef imports.

Additionally, the then-proposal sparked backlash from the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association and lawmakers on both sides of the aisle, particularly in states with high cattle inventory.




 
Back
Top