Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Tremendous inflation increase in long-distance train prices

Avocado

The pricing has been unrealistically low for many years. Taxpayers shouldn't be subsidizing trips to Mar del Plata or anywhere else. Prices had to go up. Same thing with utility rates.

Look at the crazy price increase to go to Mar del Plata!

1197 pesos to 25,431 pesos! How the people will travel? These prices crazy for all the things.

I agree. Sure prices were very low and should go up. But how do you raise the prices that much percentage-wise?? This is the complaint of most people that price increases need to be measured. Making people pay 300% to 400% more in electricity and gas prices overnight is a recipe for disaster.

Services are going up 3X but they are still horrible and outages all the time in the summer.

The pricing has been unrealistically low for many years. Taxpayers shouldn't be subsidizing trips to Mar del Plata or anywhere else. Prices had to go up. Same thing with utility rates.
Correct. The thing that concerns me is do we even now how much the actual cost is to run the train? I don't think the right hand knows what left hand is doing or what it costs. I would guess that no matter what they charge it won't be the actual cost to run it. Many people can't afford these already deeply discounted tickets.

Most countries subsidize the railways in some way, shape or form. Even in the US they are subsidized too. The issue in Argentina is things are so inefficient and plagued with issues I wouldn't think they can ever charge enough to cover their true costs.

And no company is going to invest in a money losing operation so they will always need to subsidize it. It's not reasonable to expect them not to. I worry about social unrest in the future.

Look on the bright side! It will be much easier for all of us to get tickets to MDP. They are still a fraction of plane tickets which I find expensive for such short flights.

Back