Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer This hate crime in 2024 has left me in shock

Karol

I'm a lesbian, and even though I've faced difficult situations, I've never felt discriminated against or hated because of my sexual orientation. That's why it's shocking and distressing to read news about hate crimes. It's heartbreaking that these situations continue to happen, especially in a country like Argentina, which is considered quite advanced in terms of diversity and inclusion. It's hard to understand and deeply sad to see that these forms of intolerance and violence still persist.

I don't think you can use this outlier to say how the situation is for the LGBT community. My girlfriend has a lot of gay and lesbian friends and they say Buenos Aires is the best city in the world. Unfortunate event nonetheless.

It has been confirmed that the attack was a hate crime, and unfortunately, it has been announced that another of the assaulted women has passed away. I hope the other two recover soon. Argentina is known to be a very open and accepting country in this regard, so I believe this was a very unfortunate but isolated incident. Additionally, I have gay friends who are happy living here because it is a very inclusive country.

I thought Buenos Aires was one of the best cities for gays and lesbians. This is surprising to read about. All my lesbian friends love BA. They were surprised when I sent them this.

I heard that a lot of government workers were getting fired. Is the person in the article really saying that her only other job she can get is being a prostitute??? Am I reading that right??
Yes you are reading that right. That is the attitude of some of the noquis that got government jobs where they really had no skills. It would stand to reason if someone got laid off they could get another job in the private sector without becoming a prostitute.

What ever happened to the best man or woman for the job? The free government hand outs are over.

I saw the same thing on AP today (below). I was curious after being a sex workers for so many years what made the government hire her to be in the Foreign Ministry office?

I saw the same thing on AP today (below). I was curious after being a sex workers for so many years what made the government hire her to be in the Foreign Ministry office?

It is very common when an outgoing President is getting ready to leave office or before the election that he will hire thousands of people. Many times relatives, friend or friends of friends. Sometimes they have absolutely no skills at all. Sometimes they don't even have to report to an actual job and getting a paycheck. All of these people got fired by Milei's administration after he won.

People shouldn't try to turn this political. There have been hate crimes every year so it is not about politics but some sick individuals. They will always be out there.
But Milei has gotten rid of all the various departments to deal with this sort of hate crime. Before there were offices to deal with the complaints or crimes. Now no one seems to care.

But Milei has gotten rid of all the various departments to deal with this sort of hate crime. Before there were offices to deal with the complaints or crimes. Now no one seems to care.
Sure there are departments to deal with the crime. The police and other investigative units. Trying to make this political is a mistake. As others mentioned, there will always be violence and hate and stupidity by some.

But politics has nothing to do with this. Where were you and your posts in previous administration hate crimes?

I think Milei's point is that if a crime or wrong doing is committed, then it can be reported to the police. Just like in this hate crime scenario the police will investigate it. Argentina is limited with funds and you don't need to spend $30+ million USD on multiple governmental agencies that can be handled by another agency.

Sure there are departments to deal with the crime. The police and other investigative units. Trying to make this political is a mistake. As others mentioned, there will always be violence and hate and stupidity by some.

But politics has nothing to do with this. Where were you and your posts in previous administration hate crimes?

Exactly. ˙Hate crimes against gays and lesbians has been going on in Argentina for a long time. Buenos Aires is known for being tolerant but that is really limited to a handful of the touristy neighborhoods like Recoleta, San Telmo, Palermo, etc. Sure BA has gotten some good PR and in magazines and expats or travelers talk about how gay-friendly it is. But if you travel around the countryside or other parts of Argentina you will find that people aren't as tolerant as all of the press you see online. Sure the younger generations are much better with this but the older school locals haven't really changed their opinion on this in a long time. And thisn't shouldn't be blamed on any specific political party.

Speaking of crime, I'm amazed at how safe Buenos Aires is. Even with the bad economy I felt so safe there walking around late at night. Statistically it is safer than many major US cities.

GNtZiDLXAAM_ZXL.jpeg

Back