Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Economy The AFIP monitors your consumption with credit and debit cards: from what amount it observes them - Infobae

All the Answers

The AFIP monitors your consumption with credit and debit cards: from what amount it observes them - Infobae​

1715363601154.png

Source:

May 10, 2024

The collecting entity reported the new values of information, withholding and collection regimes that must be declared for payments with plastic money

1715363639831.png
Since May 1, the new information values for bank card payments apply. (Getty Images/Tom Werner)

The Federal Public Revenue Administration (AFIP) has recently communicated the update of the amounts from which the obligation to report or act as a withholding or collection agent in certain tax regimes is activated.

These adjustments are based on the coefficient derived from the annual variation of the Consumer Price Index (CPI) , provided by the Institute of Statistics and Censuses (INDEC), comparing the month of December 2023 with the same period of the previous year.

The AFIP updated the values from which the obligation to report the operations of different information, withholding and collection regimes governs within the framework of the automatic annual adjustment established by General Resolution No. 5370/2023

According to the collection entity led by Florencia Misrahi , the purpose of this update is to preserve the representative objectivity of the affected economic activity. The regimes subject to this update are the following:

1. VAT withholding regime (RG No. 140/1998) and Profits (RG No. 4011/2017) in credit card and purchase card systems : Exempt from the regime when the amount to be withheld is equal to or less than 6,000 pesos , increasing from the previous 2,000 pesos.
  2. VAT collection regime in operations of grains not intended for sowing and dried legumes (RG No. 2459/2008) : The regime will be applicable when payment is made through the transfer of grains and seeds in the certification process, with an amount greater than 11,500 pesos. This adjustment replaces the previous amount of 3,800 pesos, effective from 2023.
  3. Information regime in public services for relevant consumption (RG No. 3349/2012) : Companies providing services such as electricity, water, gas, fixed and mobile telephony, must present information only for operations equal to or greater than 95,000 pesos per month or its equivalent if the billing period is other than monthly. This modification replaces the previous value of 31,000 pesos.
These changes are effective as of May 1, 2024.

In June of last year, General Resolution 5370/2023 of the AFIP updated the values from which the obligation to report the operations of the aforementioned information, retention and collection regimes governs and established that the aforementioned values will be adjusted annually by the coefficient arising from the annual variation of the General Level Consumer Price Index (CPI) provided by the Institute of Statistics and Censuses (INDEC), corresponding to the month of December of the year prior to the adjustment with respect to the same month of the year immediately preceding the latter.

According to the AFIP, the purpose of this update is to preserve the representative objectivity of the affected economic activity.

According to the aforementioned regulations, in the month of April of each year, the AFIP publishes the updated amounts, which are applicable as of May 1 of each year. Through the updating of amounts established by General Resolution 5370/2023 , the character of an objective parameter representative of the economic operation achieved is safeguarded, as indicated by the organization itself.

COUNTRY tax​

Likewise, this Friday the AFIP adapted its rules regarding the new operations reached by the Tax for an Inclusive and Solidarity Argentina ( PAIS ), in accordance with Decree No. 385/24, which a few days ago established an extension of the tax for profit transfers. and dividends , and for those who subscribe for this purpose the Bopreal (Bonds for the Reconstruction of a Free Argentina).

Through General Resolution 5,509 , published in the Official Gazette, the AFIP established new provisions that will be applicable to the purchase operations of banknotes and currencies in foreign currency referred to in subsection f) of article 13 bis and subsection a) of article 13 quinquies, of Decree No. 99/19 and its amendments, and the subscriptions of bonds or securities provided for in subsection b) of the aforementioned article 13 quinquies, in both cases, carried out after the entry into force of the Decree No. 385 of May 3, 2024, inclusive.

This is the chronology of the application of the PAIS Tax:

1. General Resolution No. 4,659 , its amendments and supplements, established the form, deadlines, requirements and other conditions for the declaration and payment of the “Tax for an Inclusive and Solidarity Argentina (PAIS)”, both by the collecting agent and the taxable subject.
  2. General Resolution No. 4,815 , its amendments and supplements, established a regime for the collection of income tax or personal property tax, applicable to the operations covered by the “Tax for an Inclusive and Solidarity Argentina (PAIS)”.
  3. The General Resolutions Nos. 5,272, 5,393 and 5,468 adapted General Resolution No. 4,659, considering the new taxable events achieved by the “Tax for an Inclusive and Solidarity Argentina (PAIS)”.
  4. Decree No. 385 of May 3, 2024 , incorporated as operations covered by the tax the purchases of banknotes and currencies in foreign currency for the distribution of profits and dividends received as of September 1, 2019 and for the repatriation of non-resident portfolio investments generated in collections in the country for the same concept, and the subscription of “Bonds for the Reconstruction of a Free Argentina” (Bopreal).

Anybody know if/how this affects expats using foreign cc? Given that you are not consider a resident until you get your DNI?
No it doesn't because the government has no way to match up foreign credit cards with people. Also, many people have same name, etc. but I am told there is no way the government can track foreign credit cards at all. This is only on local credit/debit cards. This is why so many locals prefer to only use cash.

No it doesn't because the government has no way to match up foreign credit cards with people. Also, many people have same name, etc. but I am told there is no way the government can track foreign credit cards at all. This is only on local credit/debit cards. This is why so many locals prefer to only use cash.
Correct. One of my neighbors in my building works at AFIP. He told me that there is no way they can track foreign credit cards. Many locals also have foreign credit cards outside of Argentina. They only have the ability to track local banks.

I got my girlfriend many years ago a credit card from my UK bank. I have my DNI but I never use my local bank account card for anything other than paying minor utility bills. It's always better for you not to put big purchases on local accounts. Milei seems to be really tracking everything. I have many local friends that have consulting businesses and were getting paid by Western Union and Western Union has blocked several transactions lately. They were saying that they were "friends" helping out but it seems like AFIP also is tracking Western Union payments that are sent over and over to locals. I don't believe there is any way for them to stop tourists getting funds but they are watching local transactions.

Anybody know if/how this affects expats using foreign cc? Given that you are not consider a resident until you get your DNI?
No problem with foreign credit card. Government have no way to track who is who. Many people have same name and government have no control. My family all have Spanish passport and we have credit card from Spain. Almost all the people here don't like to use their credit card from Argentina on the purchase.

Back