Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Safety prep for Buenos Aires, opinions?

Tano

During our 11-night stay in Palermo Soho next year, I'll be employing some precautions to ensure our safety. I have a discreet Pacsafe Coversafe waist bag that sits comfortably under my shorts, concealing my phone. Additionally, I plan to stash credit cards strategically around my body beneath my clothes, with a small amount of cash in my pockets for any unexpected encounters.

To avoid drawing attention, we won't be flaunting designer clothes, jewelry, or conspicuous bags. While I do have Ray-Ban sunglasses, they're expendable, and I'm hopeful that thieves won't be interested in them.

To minimize reliance on our phones, I'll sketch out routes on paper for navigation. We intend to use Uber or pre-booked taxis from inside establishments to avoid displaying our phones on the street. Our phones will primarily serve for photography, and we'll be vigilant about our surroundings before capturing any moments.

As an extra precaution, we'll leave valuables in the apartment once we've familiarized ourselves with the area and taken sufficient photos. Before departing for Argentina, I'll delete sensitive banking apps and back up important information on my laptop. While preparation is essential, I acknowledge that some aspects rely on luck.

During our 11-night stay in Palermo Soho next year, I'll be employing some precautions to ensure our safety. I have a discreet Pacsafe Coversafe waist bag that sits comfortably under my shorts, concealing my phone. Additionally, I plan to stash credit cards strategically around my body beneath my clothes, with a small amount of cash in my pockets for any unexpected encounters.

To avoid drawing attention, we won't be flaunting designer clothes, jewelry, or conspicuous bags. While I do have Ray-Ban sunglasses, they're expendable, and I'm hopeful that thieves won't be interested in them.

To minimize reliance on our phones, I'll sketch out routes on paper for navigation. We intend to use Uber or pre-booked taxis from inside establishments to avoid displaying our phones on the street. Our phones will primarily serve for photography, and we'll be vigilant about our surroundings before capturing any moments.

As an extra precaution, we'll leave valuables in the apartment once we've familiarized ourselves with the area and taken sufficient photos. Before departing for Argentina, I'll delete sensitive banking apps and back up important information on my laptop. While preparation is essential, I acknowledge that some aspects rely on luck.
Yes, you seem to be well prepared. And let me say: Bs.As. is not much more dangereous than London.

Welcome!

I suppose you've been imbibing information from fear-inducing sources, but it's okay to be prepared. Once you get there and settle in, you may realize that the sources you used need more vetting, and you might find that you're just in Buenos Aires, not in enemy territory.

Having only some cash and one card on you is fine, and I do it all the time now. Don't be surprised if everyone around you knows you're a tourist; as soon as you open your mouth, they'll know.

When you're out and about, observe what others are doing. Have they also been influenced by the same fear-inducing information, or are they doing something different and enjoying the area?

Good luck.

Whether it was 2pm or 2am I always felt completely safe in Palermo. Partly due to the wide sidewalks and whereas there were areas of broken and uneven sidewalks all the bright street lamps worked great. The combination of wide walkways and bright lights made it easy to see if someone was coming up close, not that anyone did. As long as you store valuables in an inside or pouch inside your shorts/pants you'll be fine.

This is what I used. Lightweight, inconspicuous, and easily accessible.

For what it's worth, I generally feel pretty safe in BA. Ironically, a little less so in Palermo than when I lived on the edge between Congreso and San Nicolas, but it's still safe. I also tend to do things like not carry too much cash on me, keep my phone in my pocket and dress modestly, fwiw.

Buenos Aires is honestly a very safe city. I never am scared to use my iPhone in public. I have had every model new iPhone every time they come out. When I go to Buenos Aires with my kids (2 teenagers) and my wife, we all have iPhones and none of us have had any issues. You just need to be careful you don't have it out at intersections or have a look out for motorcycles but we've never had any issues.

However, I had a LOT of employees and many of them had their phones stolen but mostly on the Subway. I think that's the #1 most dangerous place for cellphone theft. I have actually in 21 years never taken the subway in Buenos Aires. I lived close to my office in Recoleta and there wasn't a subway station. I also work while I'm in the taxi/Uber pretty non-stop so that's not possible on the Subway. So I've never taken the subway in Buenos Aires and probably never will. I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing. I'm just too busy.

Just practice good common sense and safety like any major city.

Whether it was 2pm or 2am I always felt completely safe in Palermo. Partly due to the wide sidewalks and whereas there were areas of broken and uneven sidewalks all the bright street lamps worked great. The combination of wide walkways and bright lights made it easy to see if someone was coming up close, not that anyone did. As long as you store valuables in an inside or pouch inside your shorts/pants you'll be fine.

This is what I used. Lightweight, inconspicuous, and easily accessible.
Thank you FuturoBA! I will order this on Amazon now for my upcoming trip!

Back