Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Rip-off painters!

Considering the quality of work from many contractors, especially in painting, doing it yourself might yield better results. I had an experience with a local contractor, and their work was quite sloppy—no drop cloths or tape, resulting in paint stains on the floors. They even charged for cleaning up their mess. When choosing paint, opt for a highly recommended brand with a durable finish. I made a mistake by not shopping around, and my walls now seem to mark up easily. It's almost as if chalk is an ingredient. I'll need to repaint because the walls can't be cleaned.

The point is that you're always better off having a local who knows what the going rate is do the negotiating for you. Again, that's a truism in every country, not just here. No need to hide the family

YEs, you would have to have the family clear out! I've gone through this nonsense for years. It's a great shame but that's the way it is. Few people in Argentina seem to think there is anything dishonorable about the custom.

Hi,

We face the same issue with overcharging for simple tasks, especially when service providers see our appliances and assume we're wealthy. However, my husband found a clever solution. We have a janitor next door who is skilled in various household tasks. He charges reasonably because he knows we'll call him regularly. He's fixed plumbing issues, painted, and even repaired and varnished a wood table for us. It's a great trick to find someone trustworthy. If you need a Spanish speaker, find a janitor you trust, start with a small task, and see how it goes. If they're good, you can give them more work, always negotiating the price upfront. We live in Monserrat, and if you're nearby, I can connect you with our handyman. I have 9-year-old triplets, so there's always plenty to do at home! It's worth noting that even as locals, we still get overcharged at times. Regards, and remember, there's always a solution!

Oh, I forgot to mention another experience. While sharing an apartment with an Argentine gentleman, we needed to have the antebaño and office area repainted. The person who came for the estimate tried to charge double his regular rates just because it was our space, and we were foreigners. This happened even though we were renting a furnished room in a shared apartment at the time and had an Argentine negotiating on our behalf. It's truly unbelievable. So, hiding the entire family might indeed be a good idea!

Hello
I have a flat rented to expats but when there is something to fix there I go with a person to fix things and I pay for it, this is on the owner`s not on the renters.
regards

I want to offer a defense for Argentine painters. I've had some bad experiences with Irish workmen who either never showed up or did a botched job. So, the fact that I've had the same painting and decorating company for both my home and office for the last four years is a success for me. They recently repainted my entire four-story house, both inside and out, including roof repairs and internal woodwork on floors and stairs. They even built some niches for me because I'm tired of plain walls these days. The total cost, including materials, was just 12,000 pesos. It's companies like these, which are very professional and reasonably priced, that make me see the best of Argentina.

Hi,
Hello
I have a flat rented to expats but when there is something to fix there I go with a person to fix things and I pay for it, this is on the owner`s not on the renters.
regards
I appreciate your response, especially considering my mention of painters wanting to charge double for the "gringo room." I want to clarify that in that particular case, the owners were responsible for paying for the painting (as owners should handle repairs in a rental). However, because we were foreigners living in the room, the painter, who lived in our building and whose wife is a seamstress I had brought repeat business to, wanted to charge more. Maybe he assumed we would be covering the cost, but the principle remains. I understand it's not an isolated incident.

I'm pleased to hear about your positive experience! Companies with strong work ethics should indeed receive recognition, and their names should be shared to help them thrive based on their merits (while, of course, hoping that success doesn't go to their heads!).

Hi,

I appreciate your response, especially considering my mention of painters wanting to charge double for the "gringo room." I want to clarify that in that particular case, the owners were responsible for paying for the painting (as owners should handle repairs in a rental). However, because we were foreigners living in the room, the painter, who lived in our building and whose wife is a seamstress I had brought repeat business to, wanted to charge more. Maybe he assumed we would be covering the cost, but the principle remains. I understand it's not an isolated incident.

I'm pleased to hear about your positive experience! Companies with strong work ethics should indeed receive recognition, and their names should be shared to help them thrive based on their merits (while, of course, hoping that success doesn't go to their heads!).
Hello
YOu are right when I see someone working honestly I recommend him all the time anyway I always, always ask him how much he is going to charge me, my husband says that nowadays all janitors hired must know plumbing, painting, fixing pipes, to get a job and in my case we were right he does all the small jobs at home, he lives next door I always greet him every day he knows who Iam and I know who he is, if he overcharges me he know I won`t call him again either for my house or for the flat I have rented, where he did a lot of things, changed the counter`s board for one in marble, fixed and varnished a table and changed the shutters he even gave me an address to pay less for the same shutter I needed but if you do this start giving a small job and see what`s happens, I only speak for my experience, there are honest people who need to have some extra money, for me this works perfect! Ah and changing the sink board including the marble board and his work was around 800 or so and I did this year, he did everthing, he bought the board while I was with the kids at home, I went to the flat just for the delivery of the board, and he installed it in a while!
ciao

Well, the second painter just quoted me more than the first! But that was someone recommended by expats, so they are probs used to charging high. Have just contacted the mercadolibre person, will see what they quote.

Back