Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Price of Beef will skyrocket at Parillas and steak restaurants! Good time to become a vegeterian!

Larry

Oh, brace yourselves, folks! Beef is about to become the caviar of everyday meals, and those beloved parillas in Palermo? Well, get ready to dish out a cool$ 100 USD per head at La Cabrera and the other restaurants in Palermo. This new government is like the harbinger of culinary doom, causing heaps of distress among the masses. The days of affordable asados might be numbered, and that's a meaty tragedy unfolding! Prices are already like the USA.

Absolutely the majority wanted a change!! The last several decades have been a living hell. If Massa won things could be 10X what they are. Hello hyperinflation. No regrets at all. You Massa supporters don't want to even acknowledge all the inflation that went on with previous Presidents. Milei is trying to fix their messes. I want Argentines to have some semblance of a future for our country before worrying about how far my expat blue dollar goes.

VIVA LA LIBERTAD CARAJO!​

You appear to have quite a bit of confidence in Milei's plan, especially in terms of benefiting the Argentine people. What would need to unfold for you to question whether it's a good idea?

Many anticipate at least 6-12 months of hardships, and that alone doesn't necessarily mean the plan will fail in the long run. But how prolonged would the suffering have to be for Milei supporters to lose faith? The entire four years?

It's conceivable that this could play out in a way where the average Argentine sees reduced inflation, the nation as a whole gets out of debt, new foreign investors roll in, and corporations thrive. However, what if the poverty rate doesn't improve, or perhaps even worsens? Would that still be considered a win by Milei supporters, or is that outcome not within the realm of possibilities?

Well you Milei supporters wanted "change". You are sure getting it! Ha, ha. Prices were controlled for 100 years and now you will see international prices for many things including beef.

Goodbye to the good old days of price control that felt like it's been going on since the invention of the wheel. Now, we're taking a wild ride on the international price rollercoaster, but guess what? The twist is, it comes with the bonus feature of slave wages for the Argentinian folks. Ah, the sweet taste of change! Who knew it would have such a distinctive flavor of irony?

I went for lunch at El Litoral yesterday, and brace yourself for this one – the price for the exact same meal was a little over double what it was nearly a year ago. If you're familiar with the place (you know, the spot with those 'popular' prices for some darn good meat), you'd usually see a line of locals in previous years. Not yesterday, though. And that restaurant on Pasco that usually gets the overflow of impatient customers? Empty.

Now, seeing shorter lines at Don Julio is one thing, but when even the restaurants in the poorer barrios are feeling the heat and emptying out, I'm left wondering how they'll survive. I mean, salaries aren't exactly skyrocketing, are they? This is the part of the economic recovery plan that has me raising an eyebrow – unless salaries keep pace with inflation, we're looking at a one-way ticket to Depression-ville, right?

And here's the kicker: If those folks at the top of the literal food chain can't resist the urge to maximize profits with their deregulated pricing, we might end up with Buenos Aires resembling NYC. Picture this – small businesses shutting down, and the big chains swooping in to take over all those once-charming spaces. It's like a foodie's nightmare.

Oh, and as a side note, they didn't even have any lomo. Maybe they decided to quit selling the fancier cuts. Who knows? The mysteries of the culinary world!

Well you Milei supporters wanted "change". You are sure getting it! Ha, ha. Prices were controlled for 100 years and now you will see international prices for many things including beef.

Goodbye to the good old days of price control that felt like it's been going on since the invention of the wheel. Now, we're taking a wild ride on the international price rollercoaster, but guess what? The twist is, it comes with the bonus feature of slave wages for the Argentinian folks. Ah, the sweet taste of change! Who knew it would have such a distinctive flavor of irony?
Absolutely the majority wanted a change!! The last several decades have been a living hell. If Massa won things could be 10X what they are. Hello hyperinflation. No regrets at all. You Massa supporters don't want to even acknowledge all the inflation that went on with previous Presidents. Milei is trying to fix their messes. I want Argentines to have some semblance of a future for our country before worrying about how far my expat blue dollar goes.

VIVA LA LIBERTAD CARAJO!​

You appear to have quite a bit of confidence in Milei's plan, especially in terms of benefiting the Argentine people. What would need to unfold for you to question whether it's a good idea?

Many anticipate at least 6-12 months of hardships, and that alone doesn't necessarily mean the plan will fail in the long run. But how prolonged would the suffering have to be for Milei supporters to lose faith? The entire four years?

It's conceivable that this could play out in a way where the average Argentine sees reduced inflation, the nation as a whole gets out of debt, new foreign investors roll in, and corporations thrive. However, what if the poverty rate doesn't improve, or perhaps even worsens? Would that still be considered a win by Milei supporters, or is that outcome not within the realm of possibilities?
Well, yes, that's certainly a conceivable scenario; it might be considered a long-term victory since, in the grand scheme, the free market is often seen as the most effective tool for reducing poverty.

Admittedly, cleaning up the mess left by Peronism is bound to be a messy affair, with plenty of fallout hitting individuals and families. Sadly, the prior status quo was just leading to more poverty each passing year and heading towards a complete breakdown. It's like choosing between poisons, and in Milei's case, some might argue it's more of a therapeutic one (in my opinion).

Only time will unveil the outcome. Fingers crossed for the best.

Oh, my, the uncertainty is keeping me up at night! You Milei supporters have this unwavering faith in Milei's grand plan to rescue the Argentine people, but what if things take a nosedive? What would have to happen for you to think, "Uh-oh, maybe Milei is not such a great idea after all"?

Now, everyone's bracing themselves for a whopping 6-12 months of suffering – sounds like a picnic, doesn't it? But hold on, does that mean it's destined for failure, or is that just the appetizer? How much longer does the Milei fan club endure the agony before they start questioning the whole shebang? The full four years? When will you all admit you made a mistake? What will it take?

Picture this: inflation takes a chill pill, the nation shakes off its debt like a bad habit, foreign investors are popping up like mushrooms after rain, and corporations are swimming in profits. Sounds like a victory parade, right? But wait for it – what if the poverty rate decides to play the stubborn guest who just won't leave? Would that still be a win for the Milei enthusiasts, or are we in for a plot twist that even they didn't foresee? The suspense is killing me!

You know something? After @Larry's decade of the "Sky is falling" attitude he might finally be right. Even a broken clock is correct twice a day. I see the price of everything going up. My Airbnb, my steaks, my Ubers and just about everything else. Before the blue rate kept going up but it's flat lined compared to white rate.

The price of steak was down in Coto today.

The butcher confided with me, 'We aren't selling a thing'

We should remember that the founder Alfredo Coto made all his fortune selling beef.
Yep. Not so many are buying beef as it's too expensive. I wonder how this will affect prices.

Various nuances of poverty exist, and addressing this issue demands serious consideration from any government. Presently, Milei appears somewhat nonchalant about the gravity of the situation. It's one thing if people can't afford luxuries, but it's an entirely different scenario when they struggle to meet their basic needs. Historically, the poor in Argentina managed to maintain a modest lifestyle, residing in relative poverty. However, there's now a looming threat of them slipping into absolute or even extreme poverty—an unprecedented situation for Argentina.

Consider someone earning $1,100 in 2015; today, that income has dwindled to $325, placing them in relative poverty. Stripping away subsidies for transportation and energy would push them into absolute poverty, rendering them unable to cover essential bills and rent.

These vulnerable individuals won't withstand economic upheavals akin to chemotherapy. They shouldn't have to. Fortunately, the government possesses tools to shield its most vulnerable citizens, provided it chooses to wield them. This is where Milei's success or failure hinges. Promises of a brighter future are ineffective on empty stomachs; a stronger force is required to maintain order, and Milei may lack such influence.

In my view, Milei could navigate this challenge more effectively by delaying certain drastic measures, such as devaluation. Worldwide inflation is on a downward trend, and Argentina is experiencing a relatively stable period in agriculture and energy. It would be prudent to assess incoming resources, identify deficits, and strategize before implementing sweeping changes. Milei's actions may appear irrational to the global community, inducing an unsettling factor.

A truly free market is a theoretical concept; there are inherent reasons for regulation. Blindly removing all constraints risks market chaos, inviting speculative capital and prompting established capital flight, as seen under Macri's administration. While capital may return eventually, it's unwise to rely on such a premise.

Caution is paramount, selectively opening valves and allowing time for adjustments. There are varying degrees of market liberalization, and choosing the right approach is crucial. Merely stating that time will reveal the outcomes and expressing hope isn't sufficient. The poorest citizens must be safeguarded at any necessary cost. They are not the architects of the predicament, yet they bear the greatest sacrifices.

Beef is usually expensive worldwide, but not so much in Argentina. However, it looks like prices might go up here too. This could mean some changes in Argentine traditions, like enjoying steaks. Instead, we might end up having more BBQs with sausages and burgers, like many other places do.

Even though meat prices are higher here, the butcher shops I pass by always seem busy, especially on the weekends with lines outside. They also look like they have a lot of meat in stock. Also, most of my Argentine friends stream Netflix, have expensive cell phone along with great plans, and wait in lines at cuevas.

Lastly, the next time I look at supermarket ads in San Fransisco, Miami, NYC or any major metro area, I'll share some examples. As I mentioned in another post here, the prices there are sure to surprise you!

Various nuances of poverty exist, and addressing this issue demands serious consideration from any government. Presently, Milei appears somewhat nonchalant about the gravity of the situation. It's one thing if people can't afford luxuries, but it's an entirely different scenario when they struggle to meet their basic needs. Historically, the poor in Argentina managed to maintain a modest lifestyle, residing in relative poverty. However, there's now a looming threat of them slipping into absolute or even extreme poverty—an unprecedented situation for Argentina.

Consider someone earning $1,100 in 2015; today, that income has dwindled to $325, placing them in relative poverty. Stripping away subsidies for transportation and energy would push them into absolute poverty, rendering them unable to cover essential bills and rent.

These vulnerable individuals won't withstand economic upheavals akin to chemotherapy. They shouldn't have to. Fortunately, the government possesses tools to shield its most vulnerable citizens, provided it chooses to wield them. This is where Milei's success or failure hinges. Promises of a brighter future are ineffective on empty stomachs; a stronger force is required to maintain order, and Milei may lack such influence.

In my view, Milei could navigate this challenge more effectively by delaying certain drastic measures, such as devaluation. Worldwide inflation is on a downward trend, and Argentina is experiencing a relatively stable period in agriculture and energy. It would be prudent to assess incoming resources, identify deficits, and strategize before implementing sweeping changes. Milei's actions may appear irrational to the global community, inducing an unsettling factor.

A truly free market is a theoretical concept; there are inherent reasons for regulation. Blindly removing all constraints risks market chaos, inviting speculative capital and prompting established capital flight, as seen under Macri's administration. While capital may return eventually, it's unwise to rely on such a premise.

Caution is paramount, selectively opening valves and allowing time for adjustments. There are varying degrees of market liberalization, and choosing the right approach is crucial. Merely stating that time will reveal the outcomes and expressing hope isn't sufficient. The poorest citizens must be safeguarded at any necessary cost. They are not the architects of the predicament, yet they bear the greatest sacrifices.
Unfortunately Milei inherited such a horrible horrible economy, he doesn't have the luxury of taking it slow and easy. He is pushing to fix things and while it's painful, this is probably what is needed to finally fix things. Time will tell if it's too quickly but everyone agrees it needs fixing except maybe @Avocado and @Larry

Even though meat prices are higher here, the butcher shops I pass by always seem busy, especially on the weekends with lines outside. They also look like they have a lot of meat in stock. Also, most of my Argentine friends stream Netflix, have expensive cell phone along with great plans, and wait in lines at cuevas.

Lastly, the next time I look at supermarket ads in San Fransisco, Miami, NYC or any major metro area, I'll share some examples. As I mentioned in another post here, the prices there are sure to surprise you!
Where was it? Don't tell me. Recoleta? Palermo? Ha, ha. Those are wealthy enclaves. Go by some poorer neighborhoods and real people are struggling. Recoleta and Palermo will always have more affluent population.

We have been traveling inside Argentina a few months. I don't pretend to know what is going on but I read a lot of articles and news from this forum. I feel like the poor are suffering the most. They aren't to blame for what is going on but they are feeling it the most.

So, you know what grinds my gears about these Mileistas? It's like, easy peasy to be all "Yay, adjustments!" when your wallet is basically singing the cha-ching song or your family tree is a money forest. But for those teetering on the societal edges, life was a rollercoaster with Alberto, and now it's like they're riding the rollercoaster to Crazytown.

And where did the caste feel the pinch exactly? Last time I checked, they're sipping fancy drinks on Easy Street, while the working poor are getting a roundhouse kick to their incomes and livelihoods (as much livelihood as they had to begin with). People here jabber on about their Argentine buddies being cool with the agenda, but I bet those buddies are playing in a different sandbox than my in-laws down in Zona Sur, just one step above a "barrio popular."

Despite what online haters say, these folks aren't "parasites" as Milei's fan club likes to think. My sister-in-law is the real MVP, hustling as a domestic worker, scrubbing the mansions of the middle class and the richy-rich Argentines. With the New Year "raises," domestic workers now rake in a whopping $1.50/hr. She's working six days a week, raising her kid, shuttling him to school, and making sure he's not on the express train to Troubleville. She's the one swallowing the bitter pill of adjustment, not the fancy folks on this forum or the big shots in Milei's posse.

I'm not saying we're all villains here (well, maybe not most of us), but I see so many folks yapping about these issues like they're discussing the latest sci-fi movie. The average salary in Argentina? Oh, just a cool $530 a month, according to some article I read last week posted last on this forum. Millions are earning even less, slaving away full time for peanuts. Sure, they suffered under Alberto, no denying that, but now they're doing the cha-cha in the pit of despair under Milei.

As a wise man wisely pointed out, what good is chemo if you're basically killing the patient? That's my fear – the adjustment train never reaches us regular folks beyond the wild ride of dollar inflation, while millions like my sister-in-law are stuck doing the poverty shuffle. She's got my husband and me in her corner, but she's too proud to hit us up for help. It's like, come on, girl, we're here for you! But she's out there thinking she shouldn't have to ask when she's putting in an honest day's work. What about the rest of the peeps with families suffering just like hers? It's a real head-scratcher.

We have been traveling inside Argentina a few months. I don't pretend to know what is going on but I read a lot of articles and news from this forum. I feel like the poor are suffering the most. They aren't to blame for what is going on but they are feeling it the most.

So, you know what grinds my gears about these Mileistas? It's like, easy peasy to be all "Yay, adjustments!" when your wallet is basically singing the cha-ching song or your family tree is a money forest. But for those teetering on the societal edges, life was a rollercoaster with Alberto, and now it's like they're riding the rollercoaster to Crazytown.

And where did the caste feel the pinch exactly? Last time I checked, they're sipping fancy drinks on Easy Street, while the working poor are getting a roundhouse kick to their incomes and livelihoods (as much livelihood as they had to begin with). People here jabber on about their Argentine buddies being cool with the agenda, but I bet those buddies are playing in a different sandbox than my in-laws down in Zona Sur, just one step above a "barrio popular."

Despite what online haters say, these folks aren't "parasites" as Milei's fan club likes to think. My sister-in-law is the real MVP, hustling as a domestic worker, scrubbing the mansions of the middle class and the richy-rich Argentines. With the New Year "raises," domestic workers now rake in a whopping $1.50/hr. She's working six days a week, raising her kid, shuttling him to school, and making sure he's not on the express train to Troubleville. She's the one swallowing the bitter pill of adjustment, not the fancy folks on this forum or the big shots in Milei's posse.

I'm not saying we're all villains here (well, maybe not most of us), but I see so many folks yapping about these issues like they're discussing the latest sci-fi movie. The average salary in Argentina? Oh, just a cool $530 a month, according to some article I read last week posted last on this forum. Millions are earning even less, slaving away full time for peanuts. Sure, they suffered under Alberto, no denying that, but now they're doing the cha-cha in the pit of despair under Milei.

As a wise man wisely pointed out, what good is chemo if you're basically killing the patient? That's my fear – the adjustment train never reaches us regular folks beyond the wild ride of dollar inflation, while millions like my sister-in-law are stuck doing the poverty shuffle. She's got my husband and me in her corner, but she's too proud to hit us up for help. It's like, come on, girl, we're here for you! But she's out there thinking she shouldn't have to ask when she's putting in an honest day's work. What about the rest of the peeps with families suffering just like hers? It's a real head-scratcher.

The concept of an "average" salary may harbor some ambiguity, but presently, $530 (USD) is considered a commendable income in the context of Argentina. It is noteworthy that a significant portion of the populace earns substantially less. I am keenly observant of how the privileged strata, referred to as the "caste," will navigate the evolving economic landscape. In light of this, I propose that Mr. Milei consider implementing a directive to curtail Congressional salaries by 40%. Such a measure would afford ample means for their sustenance while aligning with the spirit of equitable fiscal adjustments.

Back