Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Police Report Procedure

earlyretirement

POLICE REPORT PROCEDURE

Buenos Aires Has Four Reporting Channels:

• In person at the police station

You can make your complaint in person at the different police stations in the City, attended by a police officer.

It is advisable that you proceed to the nearest police station and formally report the incident. It is imperative to furnish comprehensive details including the specific location and time of occurrence, the presence of any potential witnesses, and a detailed description of the individual responsible for the criminal act. Additionally, you are required to present a valid form of personal identification. A law enforcement officer will meticulously transcribe the account of the events, after which you will be requested to thoroughly review and affix your signature to the prepared statement or complaint.

It is noteworthy to mention that this process incurs no associated costs.

• Telephone:

By calling 911, a police officer will take your report and ask you for all your personal information and details of the crime.

• Complaint Booths:

From the "Complaint Booths" strategically located in high traffic areas (such as subway stations).

The neighbor or tourist can also go to one of the booths strategically located throughout the city.

First, through the computer, they initiate a video call to file a complaint.

Then, the operator will validate the identity of the complainant and take his personal and contact information.

Once the report has been made, the resident will receive a reliable notification of the procedure by e-mail.

Finally, the file will be forwarded to the courts.

The booths offer a safer environment for reporting on public roads.

They are in operation at the following Subway stations:

-Congreso de Tucumán (Line D)
-Constitución and Diagonal Norte (Line C)
-Juan Manuel de Rosas (Line B)
-Corrientes (Line H)
-Plaza de los Virreyes and Bolívar (Line E).

cabinas-de-denuncias-caba.jpg

• QR Code:
By scanning this QR code, you can access a website that allows remote reporting.

QR Crime Report.jpg

The neighbor or tourist can scan the QR Code found in buses, cabs, commercial areas and points with relevant information.

Then, he/she will choose the option to make the report and will be able to select among the available options: robbery and theft; drug sales; losses; and other crimes.

You will also have the possibility of selecting the language in which the procedure is carried out, in order to facilitate the process for foreign tourists.

Then, you must complete the online form with your personal and contact information and the details of the event.

In this way, the QR code will imply an immediate digitalization of the procedure.

If necessary, the City Police will contact the complainant to complete the information.

At the same time, the file will be forwarded to Justice.

Crime report 1.jpg

Police Stations

RECOLETA:
  • Comisaría Comunal 2 (Ex 17)
Address: 1861 Las Heras Avenue
Tel. Number: (11) 4801 - 1698 / 3333

• Comisaría Vecinal 2B (Ex 19):
Address: 2844, Charcas St.
Tel. Number: (11) 4822-3333 / 6311

PALERMO:

• Comisaria Comunal 14 A (Ex 23)
Address: 4000,Santa Fe Avenue
Tel. Number: (11) 4821 - 5056 / 4832 - 5260

• Comisaría Comunal 14A (Anexo):
Address: 1350,Scalabrini Ortiz St
Tel. Number: (11) 4832 - 3333

• Comisaría Vecinal Comunal 21:
Address: 2373, Julián Alvarez St.
Tel. Number: (11) 4823 - 0142

• Comisaria Comunal 53:
Address: 2961, Republica Arabe Siria St
Tel. Number: 4801 -3332 / 4805 - 7928 / 4806 -1666

• Comisaria Vecinal 14B (Ex 31):
Address:232 Cabildo Av.
Tel. Number: 4771 - 3333

BELGRANO:

• Comisaría Vecinal 13C:
Address: 2263, Mendoza St
Tel. Number: (11) 3197 - 1029

• Comisaria Comunal 13:
Address: 2081, Artilleros St
Tel. Number: (11) 4784 - 4047 / 9940

SAN TELMO:

• Comisaría Vecinal 1F:
Address: 1050, Peru St
Tel. Number: (11) 4323 - 8900

• Comisaria Vecinal 1E
Address: 1500, Ingeniero Hugo Av.
Tel. Number: 4309 - 9922

• Comisaría Vecinal 4:
Address: 770, Tacuari St
Tel. Number: (11) 4331 - 9643

RETIRO:

• Comisaria Vecinal 46:
Addres: 2550, De Los Inmigrantes Avenue
Tel. Number: 4312 - 3333 / 4393 - 0076 / 3333 / 7058

• Comisaría Comunal Vecinal 1A (Anexo II):
Address: 1156, Suipacha St
Tel. Number: (11) 4309 - 9615

Here is a link to an interactive map displaying the locations of all police stations in the city of Buenos Aires:

www.buysellba.com

Last edited:
What a great post! Thanks for sharing. I am honestly shocked how safe it is in Buenos Aires. I feared the worst before my trip. I read about 150% annual inflation and I thought everyone would be mugging everyone but it is very safe. I stopped in San Francisco before my flight to EZE and everything is locked up at the pharmacy! I had to get some razors for the trip to shave and it was all locked up. Same as aspirin!

I haven't seen one person get robbed. A very civilized place for how bad the economy is. You would never know an economic crisis was going on!

i was just in Tampa FL and it was sooooo shady. been in BsAs for 3 days now, walking around all day (not late at night, yet) and it's super safe, clean minus the dog poop on sidewalks, no mosquitoes at all, and only 2 people asked to sell me stuff in Palermo when i was sitting at a cafe. 10/10

i was just in Tampa FL and it was sooooo shady. been in BsAs for 3 days now, walking around all day (not late at night, yet) and it's super safe, clean minus the dog poop on sidewalks, no mosquitoes at all, and only 2 people asked to sell me stuff in Palermo when i was sitting at a cafe. 10/10
Yes! Tampa and much of Florida I don't really like. Bad and humid and hot weather, too many old people, bugs. No thanks. Buenos Aires is a great city. I am also amazed at how safe it is. I thought I'd have to worry about my iPhone 15 Pro max but it's a none issue.

I have been here the past few weeks and it keeps getting better and better. I"m going to explore the rest of Argentina and head to go see the waterfalls this week.

Yes! Tampa and much of Florida I don't really like. Bad and humid and hot weather, too many old people, bugs. No thanks. Buenos Aires is a great city. I am also amazed at how safe it is. I thought I'd have to worry about my iPhone 15 Pro max but it's a none issue.

I have been here the past few weeks and it keeps getting better and better. I"m going to explore the rest of Argentina and head to go see the waterfalls this week.
safe travels! any plans to do Patagonia/south while it's hot Jan/Feb here?

I may extend my trip and go down to Bariloche. I talked to earlyretirement on the phone yesterday for a real estate consultation. I'm getting serious about possibly buying something in Buenos Aires. I have fallen in love with this city. I honestly don't see any negatives at all about it maybe other than stepping in "land mines" with people that don't pick up after their doggie doo doo. That's about it.

I realize the economy is horrible for locals but they seem to have an ok attitude about it. I'm still shocked how safe it is for such a poor economy but everywhere has welcomed me with open arms.

earlyretirement - thanks for mentioning www.apartmentsbariloche.com You should be proud of selling that franchise. The properties are some of the most beautiful I have ever seen in my life. The views! I have traveled extensively in Colorado and I haven't seen anything like those views. Which property would you recommend?

I am proud of my city of Buenos Aires. In many years living here even with a poor economy, I never fear walking around late at night as a female. It's not uncommon to walk home from friend's apartments very late at 3 AM. I have never experienced crime here. The only crime my friends or family have experienced is getting a cellphone stolen while on the Subte.

Florida is a dump! I always call Florida the armpit of the USA. I don't understand the attraction there other than NO state income tax. You have to deal with horrible weather. Hot, humid, hurricane. No thanks. There ARE parts that are very nice like Sarasota but other cities but I much prefer the West Coast. I live in San Diego which is paradise other than the horrific cost of living. You have to be richer than God to live here and live comfortably. But the weather is beautiful. It's pristine and really safe. Much of Florida is super sketchy.
I am proud of my city of Buenos Aires. In many years living here even with a poor economy, I never fear walking around late at night. It's not uncommon to walk home from friend's apartments very late at 3 AM. I have never experienced crime here. The only crime my friends or family have experienced is getting a cellphone stolen while on the Subte.
I totally agree Buenos Aires is totally safe. I kind of laugh when locals say it's dangerous. Most of the people that complain are Porteños that left Buenos Aires many years ago and exaggerate how "dangerous" it is. From the big crash of 2002 when I was there until now, I can still walk around at all hours of the night until dawn and NEVER have had issues or scared or nervous to walk around. I can't say the same thing about many parts of the USA now. Even San Diego where I live, walk around at night in the Gas Lamp District or downtown and it's super sketchy!
I may extend my trip and go down to Bariloche. I talked to earlyretirement on the phone yesterday for a real estate consultation. I'm getting serious about possibly buying something in Buenos Aires. I have fallen in love with this city. I honestly don't see any negatives at all about it maybe other than stepping in "land mines" with people that don't pick up after their doggie doo doo. That's about it.

I realize the economy is horrible for locals but they seem to have an ok attitude about it. I'm still shocked how safe it is for such a poor economy but everywhere has welcomed me with open arms.

earlyretirement - thanks for mentioning www.apartmentsbariloche.com You should be proud of selling that franchise. The properties are some of the most beautiful I have ever seen in my life. The views! I have traveled extensively in Colorado and I haven't seen anything like those views. Which property would you recommend?
Thanks! Yes, I'm super proud to have sold franchises in Bariloche, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo, Mendoza and Lima, Peru. I told the owner of the franchise I'd make him a millionaire within 3 years and I'm proud to say I did just that!

I've stayed in many, many properties in Bariloche with that website (over 10). I think my favorite and most memorable was this property - http://apartmentsbariloche.com/accommodation/td7-bariloche/

I rented this several years ago on a ski trip with my family. They had a HUGE snow storm. You can't imagine how beautiful it was. Here are some photos I took of the view from this property. Bariloche is a dream! Honestly all of Argentina is a dream. I have spent 21+ years traveling around all of Argentina. It's all a dream! Totally safe and I'm so proud to be a 21+ year permanent resident and to have 2 kids that are Porteños and born in Argentina. They are proud to be Argentines and love THEIR country.

IMG_4122.jpg

IMG_4131.jpg

IMG_4134.jpg

Wow! Those are some amazing photos. Are they from http://apartmentsbariloche.com/accommodation/td7-bariloche/ ? ALL of those properties on that website look so amazing. I didn't realize Bariloche had such high end properties.

I'm sorry to go off topic as this is about safety but I'm amazed about how beautiful those properties are.

On topic - Buenos Aires is one of the safest cities I have lived in. I lived in Paris for 4 years and I can tell you about so many incidents I saw of crime there. I've never witnessed anything like what I experienced in Paris. Buenos Aires is a very safe city.

Kudos on taking the time to put this crime section together. My only experience with crime was when I was here for a business dinner. One of my business associates had a Rolex watch on. I told him to be careful and NOT wear that out. Sure enough, he told me the next night he was robbed on the street of his Rolex. Do NOT wear expensive watches to BA. That was my only personal experience with knowing someone that got robbed.

Wow! Those are some amazing photos. Are they from http://apartmentsbariloche.com/accommodation/td7-bariloche/ ? ALL of those properties on that website look so amazing. I didn't realize Bariloche had such high end properties.

I'm sorry to go off topic as this is about safety but I'm amazed about how beautiful those properties are.

On topic - Buenos Aires is one of the safest cities I have lived in. I lived in Paris for 4 years and I can tell you about so many incidents I saw of crime there. I've never witnessed anything like what I experienced in Paris. Buenos Aires is a very safe city.
Yes, those photos I took were from TD7 from that website. They have the most luxurious properties in Bariloche. I'm especially proud of that site as it was the first franchise that I sold worldwide.

Kudos on taking the time to put this crime section together. My only experience with crime was when I was here for a business dinner. One of my business associates had a Rolex watch on. I told him to be careful and NOT wear that out. Sure enough, he told me the next night he was robbed on the street of his Rolex. Do NOT wear expensive watches to BA. That was my only personal experience with knowing someone that got robbed.
So very true you can NOT wear a Rolex or Cartier watch around. I can't stress enough the fact that it is NOT safe to wear those 2 brands. I had a nice Tag Heuer watch that I wore around the entire time I lived in Buenos Aires and never had any issues. This was probably a $4,000 watch. It was a non-issue but keep in mind I used to own the largest property management company in Argentina.

We had over 100,000 tourists stay with us. We always told them to keep their expensive jewelry at home. But we would inevitably get people that HAD to wear their Rolex or Cartier watches. Those were the only ones that experienced major crime. You have to keep in mind some of these watches are $10,000 to $50,000. And in Buenos Aires you can get a false sense of security since it's so European. In most major cities in Europe you can wear a Rolex without issues. But here in Buenos Aires, they will have paid partners at restaurants that will call their thief pals if they spot you wearing one.

Then they will describe you and then as you leave they will rob you. I had that happen once to a client of mine many years ago walking out of the Alvear Palace hotel. He only came down from his room and went to dinner and then as soon as he walked out they robbed him. So my theory is that there are people that call their friends to tell them if they spot something on their wish list.

One time we had a client that resisted and 2 guys jumped on him and broke his nose. This was many years ago. But you have to be very careful and keep these watches at home.

Look at this robbery of a Rolex from this tourist. This is in Palermo Soho in one of the most active and popular areas where you wouldn't expect this in the middle of the day. But it happens -

There’s a reason I wear a Seiko when I wear a watch out, most of the time. Or if I’m feeling really fancy, I have a 60s-vintage Zenith I really like.
Ha. Yeah, I used to wear a Rolex that my grandfather got me. But when the Apple Watch came out I sold it and have had an Apple Watch since. I did ask him first if he minded if I sold it and he said he was never prouder of me.

Zenith! I'd love to see a photo of that beauty! I had one of those in high school and college! What memories.

Thanks for this. It came in handy. My friend had their iPhone stolen last night. He had to fill out a police report for his insurance company. Police said it is long gone and tried to discourage a report but he explained he needed it for insurance. I bet that hardly anyone fills out a police report so the statistics for crime in BA are probably not accurate.

Back