Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Paying for real estate in Buenos Aires with Bitcoin or crypto?

Purely based on this being Argentina we live in.
So true @Scottishgaucho! I posted this in another post but posting here too.

Forget buying an apartment in crypto. It isn't really accepted here for anything from the sounds of things. I saw this guy in Argentina now that is big into crypto. He is saying Bitcoin is illiquid here at any price. And even gold and silver with a 50% discount! That is insane. Locals only want cash.

Nobody here wants to do anything but cash! It's crazy!
It's crazy but it's not because locals want it that way: it is the result of past governments restrictions (cepo cambiario) on US$ purchasing and international wire transfers that led locals to just keep the US$ in their homes.

That being said, governments and banks anywhere in the world don't like crypto because they don't have control over it. This is not related to crime, drug trafficking, etc. they just want to control it and make you pay taxes:

It's crazy but it's not because locals want it that way: it is the result of past governments restrictions (cepo cambiario) on US$ purchasing and international wire transfers that led locals to just keep the US$ in their homes.

That being said, governments and banks anywhere in the world don't like crypto because they don't have control over it. This is not related to crime, drug trafficking, etc. they just want to control it and make you pay taxes:
I agree. It will take time for the system to change. Seems like the governments are hell bent on controlling crypto.

Back