Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Paying for real estate in Buenos Aires with Bitcoin or crypto?

Digital Nomad

I am reading articles that say bitcoin should become more widely adopted but I don't actually see any developers accept it or have any interest in it. Has anyone talked to any property developers or pozo properties where you can pay in crypto? I saw a few apartments for sale and owners only wanted cash and would not allow payment abroad as they want the US $100 bills here.

I saw this article but I can't seem to find the link to properties with properties for sale with crypto. And also, even if someone would allow bitcoin for payment it looks like there is no free way to buy and then send crypto. It looks like the platforms all will charge a % fee that seems like it would cause you to have fees anyway. Correct?

bitcoin should become more widely adopted
hey @Digital Nomad - this is my main interest in Argentina! here's some chatter about buying a place with Bitcoin (especially Bitcoin Cash/BCH for me)

El Salvador's president Bukele made BTC legal tender years back, and now he's re-elected and enjoying some profits. but BTC is slower and more expensive (this week $5 USD median fee, so it's worse than just using an app to send "fiat" money like Dollars/Pesos)

i use Bitcoin Cash because it's worked for years and serves as the original blockchain of Bitcoin, with less-than-one-cent fees and quick transactions, peer-to-peer https://whybitcoincash.com

Wallets: the best wallets are non-custodial, so you control the password, and if you mismanage it, your crypto is all gone; no FDIC or similar protections.

i use the Bitcoin.com wallet for my 'hot wallet' daily spends, but it's recently become not open-source. i use ElectronCash as my 'cold' wallet for storage on my laptop.

there is a ton to research about Bitcoin/crypto; it's still the Wild West, not as user-friendly, and has its risks. but so does holding Dollars or Pesos or Stocks. if you end up making a Bitcoin Cash wallet, post your public address and i'll send you a couple bucks to try it out :)

Maybe in the future but I'd be very wary of doing it now.
based on what? so many people recommend staying away from new tech and tools, but i still have never met someone who has used crypto that argues this. have you ever sent a Bitcoin transaction? can you explain the Blockchain in 15 seconds without using the internet? i'd be "very wary" of holding Pesos, buying US stocks at all-time-highs, living in a country where you can be imprisoned for misgendering someone, etc. - yet most people on this forum are doing these things. it just depends on your risk levels; there are no perfect solutions, ony trade-offs (Thomas Sowell quote). i'd be happy to send some Crypto links if you actually want to know how Blockchain tech works (it's not just penny stocks or another CashApp/PayPal).

this year is starting off strong with crypto, as the world continues into instability:

The volatility is crazy.
and what about Pesos? US Dollar inflation in the past 100 years? the Internet didn't work perfectly in the 1990s, and Bitcoin/crypto are still very much fighting against the Central Banks (which Bitcoin was created to fight, if you read the original 'block' by Satoshi).

When sheep buy it goes up but then when they dump it also has fallen.
"Sheep"? you mean regular people, like here on this forum? so, they trade fiat/Dollars for crypto, take some profits, and that's somehow...bad? explain, please. because i'm certain you would do the same, and all of us have done the same when it comes to stocks/investments.

Not sure what will happen this time
this seems to be your only educated comment on this topic.

but I know a few people that got in at the last high and watched it plummet.
oh, really? how many people? so they made a high-risk investment into a tech they didn't understand, watched it lose value relative to the USD after a huge spike, then sold at a Low? wow, what a powerful anecdote! sounds exactly like everyone on the Stock Market with their gambling. meanwhile, in the land of facts and reality, there is literally no one right now that traded USD for BTC, who are 'down' (attached photo)
Now watching it go back up has gotten then to even in all those years.
no, you're lying, as usual. you're making a claim that you know people who bought Bitcoin at an all-time high at the end of 2021, and kept it without dollar-cost averaging or investing in lower-priced crypto, and they suddenly now look at their portfolio and it's even. it's not even; it's higher. and the USD lost value to inflation in that time, so it's even higher than just its price. so again, anyone listening to Larry on this forum (just Mute him) is going to have a bad time.

Bitcoin Cash (BCH) works great and is basically free to send. it's only around $400 USD per whole coin (you can invest up to 0.00000001 BCH - divisible by 8 digits, and just since Jan2023 it has quadrupled relative to the US Dollar. still a bargain, to slowly and safely off-load Dollars, in my investment strategy.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    69.8 KB · Views: 1
hey @Digital Nomad - this is my main interest in Argentina! here's some chatter about buying a place with Bitcoin (especially Bitcoin Cash/BCH for me)

El Salvador's president Bukele made BTC legal tender years back, and now he's re-elected and enjoying some profits. but BTC is slower and more expensive (this week $5 USD median fee, so it's worse than just using an app to send "fiat" money like Dollars/Pesos)

i use Bitcoin Cash because it's worked for years and serves as the original blockchain of Bitcoin, with less-than-one-cent fees and quick transactions, peer-to-peer https://whybitcoincash.com

Wallets: the best wallets are non-custodial, so you control the password, and if you mismanage it, your crypto is all gone; no FDIC or similar protections.

i use the Bitcoin.com wallet for my 'hot wallet' daily spends, but it's recently become not open-source. i use ElectronCash as my 'cold' wallet for storage on my laptop.

there is a ton to research about Bitcoin/crypto; it's still the Wild West, not as user-friendly, and has its risks. but so does holding Dollars or Pesos or Stocks. if you end up making a Bitcoin Cash wallet, post your public address and i'll send you a couple bucks to try it out :)

based on what? so many people recommend staying away from new tech and tools, but i still have never met someone who has used crypto that argues this. have you ever sent a Bitcoin transaction? can you explain the Blockchain in 15 seconds without using the internet? i'd be "very wary" of holding Pesos, buying US stocks at all-time-highs, living in a country where you can be imprisoned for misgendering someone, etc. - yet most people on this forum are doing these things. it just depends on your risk levels; there are no perfect solutions, ony trade-offs (Thomas Sowell quote). i'd be happy to send some Crypto links if you actually want to know how Blockchain tech works (it's not just penny stocks or another CashApp/PayPal).

this year is starting off strong with crypto, as the world continues into instability:

and what about Pesos? US Dollar inflation in the past 100 years? the Internet didn't work perfectly in the 1990s, and Bitcoin/crypto are still very much fighting against the Central Banks (which Bitcoin was created to fight, if you read the original 'block' by Satoshi).

"Sheep"? you mean regular people, like here on this forum? so, they trade fiat/Dollars for crypto, take some profits, and that's somehow...bad? explain, please. because i'm certain you would do the same, and all of us have done the same when it comes to stocks/investments.

this seems to be your only educated comment on this topic.

oh, really? how many people? so they made a high-risk investment into a tech they didn't understand, watched it lose value relative to the USD after a huge spike, then sold at a Low? wow, what a powerful anecdote! sounds exactly like everyone on the Stock Market with their gambling. meanwhile, in the land of facts and reality, there is literally no one right now that traded USD for BTC, who are 'down' (attached photo)

no, you're lying, as usual. you're making a claim that you know people who bought Bitcoin at an all-time high at the end of 2021, and kept it without dollar-cost averaging or investing in lower-priced crypto, and they suddenly now look at their portfolio and it's even. it's not even; it's higher. and the USD lost value to inflation in that time, so it's even higher than just its price. so again, anyone listening to Larry on this forum (just Mute him) is going to have a bad time.

Bitcoin Cash (BCH) works great and is basically free to send. it's only around $400 USD per whole coin (you can invest up to 0.00000001 BCH - divisible by 8 digits, and just since Jan2023 it has quadrupled relative to the US Dollar. still a bargain, to slowly and safely off-load Dollars, in my investment strategy.
Thank you for all this info. I am heading to Rio and then will check this out when I get back. Have you had any luck with developers or individuals willing to take crypto? I have found no one that is even remotely interested in this at all. Contrary to articles that say people are interested, no one wants to seem to complete a transaction. They only want cash.

I have found no one that is even remotely interested in this at all. Contrary to articles that say people are interested, no one wants to seem to complete a transaction. They only want cash.
Indeed....hence my previous reply. It might be popular in the US and elsewhere but certainly not here. I'm getting the impression StatusNomadicus has an ulterior motive for this show of enthusiasm for it. 😁

Thank you for all this info. I am heading to Rio and then will check this out when I get back. Have you had any luck with developers or individuals willing to take crypto? I have found no one that is even remotely interested in this at all. Contrary to articles that say people are interested, no one wants to seem to complete a transaction. They only want cash.
Agreed. I have never heard of anyone here accepting crypto for payment for real estate. I have been here in Buenos Aires a long time. I have many friends that are in real estate and they said they have never come across anyone that transacted in crypto in real estate. Cash works well here for as crazy as it sounds. There are just many older segments of the population here that will probably never feel comfortable in using it for real estate. I am not saying that is right or wrong. Just reality.

More and more Argentines are buying crypto but none of them want to accept them for an apartment purchase. I have asked several developers if they would accept cyrpto and they all say NO. The # of crypto scams in Argentina is also very high and going higher.

Seems like all countries are heading that route.

But isn't this a positive? I am not familiar with crypto but isn't this a net positive? Why would any legitimate holder of crypto care about this unless they were shady and avoiding taxes, involved with trafficking of drugs or buying drugs. Normal banking across much of the world has been regulated. Why should bitcoin or crypto be any different?

But isn't this a positive? I am not familiar with crypto but isn't this a net positive? Why would any legitimate holder of crypto care about this unless they were shady and avoiding taxes, involved with trafficking of drugs or buying drugs. Normal banking across much of the world has been regulated. Why should bitcoin or crypto be any different?
From what I am reading online, much of the world is already like this with reporting. Argentina is trying to attract foreign investments and get above board so this is not surprising.

Back