Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Economy No dollar purchases (for locals) unless travelling abroad?

SailorCaps

Has anyone else come across this recent development?

My spouse just visited Santander Rio to acquire dollars, and to our surprise, they flatly declined the purchase. According to the bank, you're now only allowed to buy dollars if you can provide proof of upcoming international travel and have completed the relevant AFIP forms related to that specific trip. Could this be misinformation relayed by a bank teller, or has there been an official announcement? We checked AFIP and La Nacion briefly, but couldn't find any information on this matter.

My mom lives in Cordoba, she works in a public school (government) and she is coming to visit me in a month. She has her airplane tickets and her visa (not the first time she comes), however, when she went to the AFIP to fill out the 'form', they wouldn't even give it to her. All they said was "forms are not being handed out for indeterminate time''. No offense, but I feel like if we talking about Cuba or Venezuela...

My mom lives in Cordoba, she works in a public school (government) and she is coming to visit me in a month. She has her airplane tickets and her visa (not the first time she comes), however, when she went to the AFIP to fill out the 'form', they wouldn't even give it to her. All they said was "forms are not being handed out for indeterminate time''. No offense, but I feel like if we talking about Cuba or Venezuela...
Coming soon to a banana republic near you.

Cuba, Venuzeula, or... Europe. Today Brussels let countries in the EU know that they can close their frontiers to capital flows or freeze bank deposits/withdraws in preparation of what it could be Greece leaving the Euro.

AFIP's dollar sniffing dogs will soon require to identify the smell of euros. Dog's life is becoming more demanding.

In Spanish
http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2012/06/12/economia/1339499486.html

Coming to the original thread... everyone I know, local or foreigner, has been unsuccessful in buying official dollars the last two weeks.

There were no announcements, Afip is doing this ipso facto. Did you check on Afip´s site to see if he gets approved?
Husband local, up until now has been approved for purchase of up to 1000USD a month. Yesterday at both Santander and at Citibank (he has accts at both) he was told that NO ONE is authorized from this point forward to buy dollars for savings. The only dollar purchases allowed from this point forward are for travel abroad and then only for the amount approved by AFIP (husband travels 2 weeks out of the month so he'll be taking advantage of his trips to get authorization from now on).

This morning I briefly caught something on C5N regarding the same thing, and saying that as of yesterday this is the case.

According to my mother-in-law all plazo fijos in dollars will have to be converted to pesos upon maturing -- however, I have not seen anything to confirm this so can't tell you if that is rumour or truth.

I don't believe there is anything secure in Argentina. Property or "bricks" used to be the exception but that is less secure than it used to be. Apparently sales are to be pessified. The situation just gets worse and worse. How far can this government go in curtailing freedoms? I honestly never ever imagined that things could get so bad.

I don't believe there is anything secure in Argentina. Property or "bricks" used to be the exception but that is less secure than it used to be. Apparently sales are to be pessified. The situation just gets worse and worse. How far can this government go in curtailing freedoms? I honestly never ever imagined that things could get so bad.
I have a good friend in real estate and he tells me that prices are collapsing and enquiries are down 90% and the only buyers are sharks looking for distressed sellers. Real estate here is the driver of the economy and if this goes a full blown depression will set in soon

Sailor, what happened to your husband is happening to all of us. I was able to exchange a large amount only up until last month. I posted about it here last month and thought that I couldn't exchange because I had gone on to AFIP's website and put in a figure twice in one month. http://baexpats.org/expat-life/21940-buying-dollars-legally-gets-even-harder-now-3.html But alas, no. I cannot even exchange the equivalent of 1 dollar. It's very hard for me not to get extremely frustrated about it, so I'm not going to write more. But he's not alone.

People can say what negative things they want about the USA but honestly the quality of life here is still probably the highest in the world. Things are amazingly efficient. Supermarkets are great and have fresh produce, electronics are cheap, great customer service, roads are in great shape, it's very safe and a million other things.

I think the USA right now has the best quality of life vs. most places around the world, especially with the instability in Europe and I think everyone will agree that Argentina certainly isn't a desirable place to live with all these restrictions.

People can say what negative things they want about the USA but honestly the quality of life here is still probably the highest in the world. Things are amazingly efficient. Supermarkets are great and have fresh produce, electronics are cheap, great customer service, roads are in great shape, it's very safe and a million other things.

I think the USA right now has the best quality of life vs. most places around the world, especially with the instability in Europe and I think everyone will agree that Argentina certainly isn't a desirable place to live with all these restrictions.
I wish it were so..but the general quality of that mass produced "fresh produce" is what worries me now I'm in my 40s. The rising rate of morbid obesity in US is just a sign that something in the system isn't working, be that farming, education..que se yo. The potential quality of life there is a damn good theory but then look at what % are really living good quality lives or driving round in mobility scooters. Makes me think that movie Wally was the most visionary thing produced this century so all aboard Branson's space tourism..time to build a brand new shiny world on another planet!

Moving on from the bashing of the US, it is a very disturbing sign. To be honest, I'm getting less and less comfortable and more and more grateful that my money isn't sitting in the banking system here.

Mercer Quality of Living Survey - Worldwide Rankings, 2011

1 Vienna Austria
2 Zurich Switzerland
3 Auckland New Zealand
4 Munich Germany
5 Düsseldorf Germany
5 Vancouver Canada
7 Frankfurt Germany
8 Geneva Switzerland
9 Bern Switzerland
9 Copenhagen Denmark
11 Sydney Australia
12 Amsterdam Netherlands
13 Wellington New Zealand
14 Ottawa Canada
15 Toronto Canada
16 Hamburg Germany
17 Berlin Germany
18 Melbourne Australia
19 Luxembourg Luxembourg
20 Stockholm Sweden

http://www.mercer.com/press-releases/quality-of-living-report-2011#City-Rankings

Mercer Quality of Living Survey - Worldwide Rankings, 2011

1 Vienna Austria
2 Zurich Switzerland
3 Auckland New Zealand
4 Munich Germany
5 Düsseldorf Germany
5 Vancouver Canada
7 Frankfurt Germany
8 Geneva Switzerland
9 Bern Switzerland
9 Copenhagen Denmark
11 Sydney Australia
12 Amsterdam Netherlands
13 Wellington New Zealand
14 Ottawa Canada
15 Toronto Canada
16 Hamburg Germany
17 Berlin Germany
18 Melbourne Australia
19 Luxembourg Luxembourg
20 Stockholm Sweden

http://www.mercer.com/press-releases/quality-of-living-report-2011#City-Rankings
I have the pleasure to say I've been to just about every one of these cities on the list and I'd gladly live in the USA vs. most of these cities any day of the week.

Plus, with the crash in real estate prices, you can buy a nice property in most desirable cities in the USA for a big discount vs. just a few years ago. These cities on this list are nice but check out the cost of living or price of real estate in a desirable area in many of these cities and it will be much more expensive than the USA.

As to produce, most major metropolitan areas in the USA have great farmer's markets where you can get organic produce that is really amazing.

USA has it's fair share of problems but I would argue with anyone that the quality of life there is very good if you have steady income coming in.

These quality of life studies can be misleading. I love Europe but I know that there are problems - high cost of real estate for the most part, an educational system that can be excellent but is elitist with relatively few university graduates, a tendency to discriminate against immigrants. I don't think most Swiss own their homes - they rent. If you love art, history and urban life Europe is great but it's harder to make a living in Europe compared to the US. As for obese people, the problem is people's attitudes. You can get all the best organic natural food you want at low prices but you can also get junk food. What you eat is up to you but unlike Argentina you can eat well and nutritiously without spending a fortune. In Argentina you have to search all over the place for what is common in the US, you pay more in Argentina too. This is not Argentina bashing, just a statement of facts.

These quality of life studies can be misleading. I love Europe but I know that there are problems - high cost of real estate for the most part, an educational system that can be excellent but is elitist with relatively few university graduates, a tendency to discriminate against immigrants. I don't think most Swiss own their homes - they rent. If you love art, history and urban life Europe is great but it's harder to make a living in Europe compared to the US. As for obese people, the problem is people's attitudes. You can get all the best organic natural food you want at low prices but you can also get junk food. What you eat is up to you but unlike Argentina you can eat well and nutritiously without spending a fortune. In Argentina you have to search all over the place for what is common in the US, you pay more in Argentina too. This is not Argentina bashing, just a statement of facts.
Exactly. Europe is wonderful but it has it's fair share of problems. Especially now with Greece and Spain and the fall out from what might happen if Greece leaves the EU.

Real estate is VERY expensive in most of these cities.

I agree about struggling to find really good stuff in Argentina at affordable prices. I'm not bashing Argentina either but it's much harder to find good stuff there and you have the hassle factor with just about everything there. Try buying something that breaks a few days after buying it in Argentina. Very very difficult. In the USA, in almost any store you can take it back and get a full refund.

The red take hassle factor can really get to you in Argentina. I don't care how long you live there..... it's tough to get used to when you are accustomed to efficiency.

I have the pleasure to say I've been to just about every one of these cities on the list and I'd gladly live in the USA vs. most of these cities any day of the week.

Plus, with the crash in real estate prices, you can buy a nice property in most desirable cities in the USA for a big discount vs. just a few years ago. These cities on this list are nice but check out the cost of living or price of real estate in a desirable area in many of these cities and it will be much more expensive than the USA.

As to produce, most major metropolitan areas in the USA have great farmer's markets where you can get organic produce that is really amazing.

USA has it's fair share of problems but I would argue with anyone that the quality of life there is very good if you have steady income coming in.
That's perfect and each to their own I guess.

The point of posting the list was to demonstrate that everyone has their own idea of what constitutes a "high quality of life" and more often than not this depends on where/how they were brought up.

Yes I guess so, Charlie, but I have lived in many parts of the world and I see the differences. As I said, I love Europe but to live there the way I want I would need a lot of money. You can live well for a LOT less in the US - and you can afford to travel to Europe.

Back