Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

New holidays in Argentina

All these newly created holidays are great for employees but they are a nightmare if you own a company here. This is a terribly unproductive environment here.

Let's not overlook the fact that employees are entitled to 10 study days a year if they're currently attending school. So, considering holidays, vacations, and study days, my employees end up having a total of 7 weeks off.

In contrast, I only get 3 weeks off, which includes holidays.

Maybe it's time to consider adopting the Argentine calendar.

Mariola

How true! Actually I think my employees going for their MBA at night get 15 study days a year. You mentioned the vacations and study days but you didn't touch upon "sick days". I'm not sure if your employees never call in sick but I doubt it. Add in the amount some employees "call in sick" with a "doctors note" and that can add on 2 to 3 more weeks a year as well.

Or you have a situation where one gets hurt in an accident and you can end up paying their entire salary for up to 1 year and not being able to fire them.

Just a terribly inefficient society compared to other countries.

That's a valid observation; I didn't take sick days into account.

It's quite amusing because, in reality, they might not fully realize how employee-friendly the system is here. They enjoy benefits such as paid health insurance, guaranteed raises, a standard 9-6 work schedule, the annual "aguinaldo" bonus, and the flexibility to work from home on Fridays, especially for those with lengthy commutes. Additionally, they receive 7 weeks off, inclusive of sick time. Yet, despite these perks, they seem discontent.

I extended to them my benefits package, wherein I cover my own healthcare costs, have only 3 weeks off, experienced just one raise in the past 3 years, lack paid sick time, operate on a global clock with a 24/7 on-call commitment, and don't have a guaranteed bonus – all those less-than-fun aspects.

Surprisingly, no one expressed interest in my package, and I'm left wondering why. :rolleyes:

On a side note, I hold my employees in high regard; they put in dedicated effort, and their performance is outstanding. However, it does bring a smile to my face when I hear them express grievances about the system here. Undoubtedly, it's a great country for employees, but as an employer, it poses its challenges.

That's a valid observation; I didn't take sick days into account.

It's quite amusing because, in reality, they might not fully realize how employee-friendly the system is here. They enjoy benefits such as paid health insurance, guaranteed raises, a standard 9-6 work schedule, the annual "aguinaldo" bonus, and the flexibility to work from home on Fridays, especially for those with lengthy commutes. Additionally, they receive 7 weeks off, inclusive of sick time. Yet, despite these perks, they seem discontent.

I extended to them my benefits package, wherein I cover my own healthcare costs, have only 3 weeks off, experienced just one raise in the past 3 years, lack paid sick time, operate on a global clock with a 24/7 on-call commitment, and don't have a guaranteed bonus – all those less-than-fun aspects.

Surprisingly, no one expressed interest in my package, and I'm left wondering why. :rolleyes:

On a side note, I hold my employees in high regard; they put in dedicated effort, and their performance is outstanding. However, it does bring a smile to my face when I hear them express grievances about the system here. Undoubtedly, it's a great country for employees, but as an employer, it poses its challenges.
Oh come come! If you were an employee and not an employer you'd love it!

In my opinion this sytem is better than having zero worker protection. Again, in my opinion, zero worker protection only works in the US (so far) becuase the US lives off cheap (defenseless) labor in other countries.

Oh come come! If you were an employee and not an employer you'd love it!

In my opinion this sytem is better than having zero worker protection. Again, in my opinion, zero worker protection only works in the US (so far) becuase the US lives off cheap (defenseless) labor in other countries.
NO doubts with that statement. If I was an employee only I wouldn't be complaining. But then again I haven't been an "employee" for about 15 years as I've always been a employer so things like this mixed in with 27% mandatory raises, the study dates, the sick dates can get to you after a while.

While I believe in some worker protection...nothing like the system they have in place here now. It's chaotic. Even if you have employees in white they typically get a lawyer when you fire them. You have to pay them severance based on the # of years they were with you which can add up but sometimes they get a lawyer anyway. Workers have too many rights here.

Back