Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Electronics My stolen iPhone is being sold on mercadolibre!

Lenono

My missing iPhone is being sold on mercadolibre!! I know it's mine because it has very distinct scratches on the back and you can clearly see them on the photo that was posted on mercadolibre. Is there anything I can do??? They are selling it for $1600!!!

My missing iPhone is being sold on mercadolibre!! I know it's mine because it has very distinct scratches on the back and you can clearly see them on the photo that was posted on mercadolibre. Is there anything I can do??? They are selling it for $1600!!!
1600 pesos only? thats cheap!

It got stolen on the street at knife point?

Do you have any papers/receipts with your name and the serial number of the phone?

If not, it's doubtful that you could actually do anything about this (legally) even if the police wanted to help.

Please post a link to the listing on mercadolibre. I'll ask the seller if they have any paperwok for the phone.

I heard in Chile Ex-pats forums that the Argie Police will do anything if you pay them!
Why don't you make deal with the Cops and show up to meet the solicitor to purchase your stolen iphone? I'm pretty sure you have the iphone ID number that belongs to you?
If anything else fails, then you can purchase my iphone 3GS with 32 GB memory!
Sold for US$400 FOB

Don't spook the seller by asking for paperwork as steve suggests. But do call the cops, see if they will accompany you to meet the seller.

Just have to learn to give up here, Its like trying to stop Argentinian drivers from beeping the horn for no reason even though they are the ones in the middle of the intersection cutting everybody off. It is what it is.

Okay...I agree with you on the principle thing. However, don't forget where you are. In most societies where the police does their job, this won't usually happen. People who steal other people's property are not so bold in those societies as to put the loot up on the internet and sell it off (it happens, of course, but not so boldly and openly).

That's why I said "you're in Argentina". You're in the right, the thief is wrong. There is no doubt about it. Should the thief be punished? Of course. But think about it before you waste your time and energy on this situation. If the police here doesn't even do their job while a robbery or theft is taking place in front of their eyes, what makes you think they will tag along with you just because of "principle"?

Problem in Argentina is not primarily crime (I know crime is a problem) but the bigger problem, the root cause of this problem, is that people perpetrating crimes usually don't have to fear any consequences for their actions. That is what you're dealing with here, I'm afraid.

The whole society is built around shrugging shoulders when a crime takes place. I don't think your iPhone will get any attention whatsoever.

So the police isn't going to do anything for you. What other options do you have? Well like someone said, hire security, buy the phone, go for collection and teach him a lesson.

But remember that this guy could be a dangerous individual.

If the phone ain't worth much to you, then forget about it. But from now on, keep evidence with you that you own the phone. Install "Find my phone" app or whatever its called to kill your phone the moment its stolen.

Don't expect principles to prevail in this country. Go with the flow and if I were you, I'd let this one go. I'd be pretty pissed off...that comes with the territory, however, I don't think it is worth it in this country to waste your time on it.

EDIT: If you do decide to go, PLEASE don't go alone and don't go defenceless.

Don't spook the seller by asking for paperwork as steve suggests. But do call the cops, see if they will accompany you to meet the seller.
I actually suggested that I be the one to ask for the paperwork...but its up to the OP either way. Since I am a registered user with a good reputation, the seller will probably answer any questions I ask. If the seller doesn't like my question he/she can instantly delete it and even block me.

Have you looked at the seller's reputation?

Do they have a lot of "used" electronics for sale?

There is absolutely NOTHING you can do. What is stopping this guy selling it from simply saying he bought it from someone else. There isn't anything you can do at all.

My sister in law's boyfriend had his new Iphone stolen and had the Find my Iphone activated. He went to the police and they police absolutely refused to go to the house where it indicated it was. And this guy didn't either because apparently it was in a rough area.

I'd forget about trying to get the phone back now..nothing you can do.

After going through a robbery and its aftermath, I would be willing to bet that the person who is selling your phone is not the person who actually grabbed it from you. There seems to be a pretty organized and efficient system for selling stolen goods.

I had a checkbook stolen and 6 months later, someone was trying to use it in the Provincia de Buenos Aires. I don't want to go into all the details, but they were attempting to write checks in very strange, mafioso-type places. One was a place that sold police uniforms and equipment and seem to provide short-term loans.

After going through a robbery and its aftermath, I would be willing to bet that the person who is selling your phone is not the person who actually grabbed it from you. There seems to be a pretty organized and efficient system for selling stolen goods.

I had a checkbook stolen and 6 months later, someone was trying to use it in the Provincia de Buenos Aires. I don't want to go into all the details, but they were attempting to write checks in very strange, mafioso-type places. One was a place that sold police uniforms and equipment and seem to provide short-term loans.

EXACTLY. No telling how many times the phone might have exchanged hands and people.

Back