Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Milei said that he does not care if the opposition does not support the May Pact and stated: “Cristina is not coming back again.” - Infobae

All the Answers

Milei said that he does not care if the opposition does not support the May Pact and stated: “Cristina is not coming back again.” - Infobae​

1712680475329.png

Source:

April 09, 2024

The President assured that he can advance his reform plan even without the support of the opposition, and he expressed confidence ahead of the 2025 elections, when the relationship of forces in Congress could change. Why he considers that the former Vice President is far from returning to power

The libertarian assured that his popularity is increasing

President Javier Milei was skeptical about the approval of the package of laws that he set as a condition to advance in the so-called May Pact , the founding call to which he invited all political forces for the 25th of that month in the province. From Cordoba . For the head of state, his economic plan is beginning to show results, which translates into popular support. For this reason, he stated that if the general elections were repeated today he would win comfortably in the first round , and assured that the opposition leader who measures the most is Cristina Kirchner , although very far from her performance, "That's it, she won't come back again," he stated.

During the extensive report he had with journalist Alejandro Fantino , Milei once again was openly critical of the opposition sectors that question the direction of his government and said that he will be able to move forward even if he does not find consensus in the rest of the parties with parliamentary representation.

“They are not effective restrictions,” Milei said in response to Fantino's proposal. There the following exchange took place:

- Fantino : No wonder the other day I found Francos (Guillermo the Minister of the Interior) not going to life or death to get the Base Law passed, if it doesn't come out they won't go to relegation.

- Miley: No

- F.: Don't tell me no, look how the May Pact is falling away

- M.: I don't care! What is what I said in the speech (at the opening of ordinary sessions in Congress), if they want to confront there will be confrontation. I have no hope that they will be anything different, but I give them the opportunity to draw Bases and I offer them the May Pact, which are 10 rules for a healthy economy . If not, it doesn't matter, I see their faces in the 2025 elections.

Milei insisted that those who oppose “are doing quite badly.” “ I am making the biggest adjustment in history and my popularity is increasing ,” said the president.

For three hours and twenty minutes, the head of state explained why he trusts that inflation is collapsing, that it will be a problem that the government will be able to control and that once that happens the economy will be able to take off. For that reason he expressed confidence that he does not need the support of the rest of the political parties or their leaders.

“We are governing despite politics, not that they do not accompany us. Even though they don't want to give up the choreos, I don't need them, I can make it to 2025 with the economy growing a lot, inflation going down, we are going to make a catastrophe in the election because people are going to detect who are the jets that are against the people, we are going to give them a novel blow,” the president shouted.

1712680683834.png
The president relativized the possibility of a rejection of the May Pact, a call he made during the opening of ordinary sessions of Congress. (Rodrigo Nespolo/ pool ARGRA)

Energetic in his responses, Milei was emphatic: “ If I can't put in the structural reforms now, it doesn't matter to me because starting December 11, 2025, I'm going to put in the ones that they didn't let me put in now and I'm going to put in the 3,000 that I still have. waiting,” he said. The president was referring to the possibility of obtaining a clear victory in the mid-term legislative elections that would change, if everything goes as planned, the correlation of forces in Congress. Today La Libertad Avanza is a minority, but the president aspires to be a majority after the next electoral round.

“What do I care if I'm stabilizing the economy and it's going to recover regardless of politics. “I can do it,” Milei insisted.

Faced with such a level of conviction, the driver put forward the obstacles that those who confront Milei have resorted to. “They are going to fill you with protections in Justice,” Fantino noted. “Tell me if they are stopping me, they are not stopping me, that restriction is not effective. Is the salary of 300 or 400 dollars the salary of Argentina? -he asked himself rhetorically about a figure that he considers to be low because of the political leadership-, come on, that is not an effective restriction,” the president confirmed about his thoughts.

In the corollary of that passage, Milei confirmed what was seen the day before in the Buenos Aires neighborhood of Palermo, when her sister Karina showed up at a store promoting a membership campaign. “ We are making a party to win the elections very strongly .”

There he stated that he aspires to remain in the presidency for the two terms that the Constitution allows him to do so. “ If people determine it, yes, if I meet the objectives. I would stay eight years ,” said the president.

1712680769244.png
The president during the report on the Neura channel

“Cristina is not going to come back again,” said Milei.​

Throughout the report, the president expressed a notable level of confidence about the success of his policies and, consequently, about the possibility that this will translate into support at the polls. For that reason he assured that if the general elections were held these days he would win in the first round. “We got 48% of the votes,” he stated.

In this context, he said that the opposition leader with the highest vote intention is former president Cristina Kirchner, although far from the wealth that the current head of state claims to have. “The person with the best voting intention behind us is Cristina with 20%,” he said. There, Fantino pointed out that CFK does not usually criticize him directly. The response was blunt:

“What do I care about Cristina, she is not coming back again. She is not going to return, she will use another bishop, the closest one she has today measures 17%, it is Kicillof. Better if he is my opposite, let him come,” said the libertarian.

Milei insisted on arguing that such confidence is based on the fact that, even with the harshness of the economic measures and the negative impact that they are having on citizens, their popularity increases. According to him, this confidence is due to the fact that there are expectations that it will be a sacrifice that allows the macroeconomy to be organized and predict a prosperous future. "Look at everything we are achieving today, there is beginning to be a rebound, we improved the fiscal result, the country risk goes down, the exchange rate is at 985, there is no gap, the futures curve is sticking to that of the Central Bank . Bye, go look for her inside,” he said ironically.

1712680799889.png
Cristina Kirchner and Javier Milei in Congress, during the inauguration ceremony of the libertarian president

For the President, the blue dollar is not illegal​

Another definition that Javier Milei provided was related to the price of the foreign currency that is traded in the parallel and free exchange market, in the so-called caves. Unlike the governments that preceded him, Milei assured that it is not a market outside the law.

For me blue is not illegal . It allows you to escape the peso scam. I don't persecute anyone because they buy dollars on the street. If you want to start making transactions in dollars with people here, do whatever you want,” he said.

The president explained that his plan includes a reform so that the Central Bank no longer issues pesos without support, once its liabilities are cleared and the National Treasury does not need it due to having a surplus.

In parallel, with the economy taking off, demand for pesos should increase, which would cause prices to fall. “That process can be slow. Then it may be cheaper for you to grab your dollars ,” the president said.

There Fantino questioned him about the legality of possessing dollars not declared to the treasury. “It may be cheap for you to grab your dollars, go and pay with your dollars and wait for deflation. There will be a fixed amount of pesos and more and more transactions with dollars. People have dollars. You take them from wherever you want. “You need to make a transaction and you don't have pesos, you use dollars,” Milei repeated.

In response to Fantino's insistence on possible objections from the AFIP or other control bodies regarding these operations, the president assured: “Some things will have to be changed, a whitewash, what do you think?”

Some things that politicians define as crimes to me are not . Exploding the head of the taxpayer is fine, those are crimes that affect his personal finances,” he added.

There he provided his position regarding the way in which a citizen or any company can obtain the North American currency. “If you want, use 50 undeclared green sticks, I don't give a damn. You are imprisoned according to current laws. People fled dollars to escape the peso that they were defrauded with the inflation tax. For me blue is not illegal. It allows you to escape the peso scam. I don't persecute anyone because they buy dollars on the street. If you want to start making transactions in dollars with people here, do whatever you want,” he concluded.

On the flip side if he is successful, Argentina will probably never go back the other way again. And other countries in South America will see the light and also shift.
Indeed. 👍

Frankly I've been amazed how well the population has been willing to accept and put up with Milei's tough new measures. This just confirms the vast majority of the population recognised how big a mess the country was in due to the K's incompetence in running the country. There's no going back now....hallelujah!!

Indeed. 👍

Frankly I've been amazed how well the population has been willing to accept and put up with Milei's tough new measures. This just confirms the vast majority of the population recognised how big a mess the country was in due to the K's incompetence in running the country. There's no going back now....hallelujah!!
I have to admit as an anti Milei person, I am surprised how patient everyone is. I don't think anyone is arguing there were big problems to fix. There were. Some just don't agree with the way he is doing it. The jury is still out if it will work long term but inflation does seem to be slowing down. Time will tell.

I have to admit as an anti Milei person, I am surprised how patient everyone is. I don't think anyone is arguing there were big problems to fix. There were. Some just don't agree with the way he is doing it. The jury is still out if it will work long term but inflation does seem to be slowing down. Time will tell.
I think it was the only way to do it. No point in faffing about dragging it on for years. A case of sooner it gets done the better.

I think it was the only way to do it. No point in faffing about dragging it on for years. A case of sooner it gets done the better.
Exactly. Milei is smart to do all of the painful measures all up front and quickly. It does hurt but this is the only smart method. Otherwise it drags on for years. I think he is going to pull this off. And it will forever change Argentina. Some of the things he is doing I never thought I would see in my life. The downside is it will get more expensive here. But upside is all my friends should ultimately make more and have better quality of life in the future.

By this Fall, it should be much much easier to wire in funds. Milei is doing all he can to make it much easier. Still, it's important to do things the right way when buying real estate. Always best to do things legally and proper. In a country like Argentina it's never about who is President today. It is who they President is when you go to sell it and you never know if they will check to see how you legally brought in funds.

It's one thing to send funds in to buy furniture or something but quite another to buy real estate. It's best that things are structured correctly and legally to avoid issues when you go to sell the property.

Back