Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Lesbian couple traveling to Buenos Aires in 2024

Karol

Hello everyone,

I appreciate the valuable information shared in this community.

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to Buenos Aires with my girlfriend for a week next year, and I have a few questions as we prepare for our visit.

While I'm aware that Argentina is a leader in LGBTQ+ progress in Latin America, I'd like to gain a better understanding of how this translates to the day-to-day experiences of lesbian couples there. My girlfriend and I currently reside in a very progressive city in North America, where we freely express affection in public without hesitation. We value and appreciate this privilege and understand the need to be mindful of cultural differences when traveling.

In light of this, how are similar expressions of affection observed in Buenos Aires? Is it advisable to be more discreet about our relationship in public? Is this a topic that locals typically prefer not to discuss?

(As a side note, I was born in Brazil and unfortunately, I'm well aware of the numerous cases of LGBTQ+ violence that occur annually in that country. While I understand every place is unique, I'm curious if similar precautions should be taken in Argentina, especially in Buenos Aires.)

Thank you for any insights you can provide.

Additionally, if you have any recommendations for a fun place to enjoy the nightlife, we would appreciate it.

Hello everyone,

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to Buenos Aires with my girlfriend for a week next year, and I have a few questions as we prepare for our visit.

While I'm aware that Argentina is a leader in LGBTQ+ progress in Latin America, I'd like to gain a better understanding of how this translates to the day-to-day experiences of lesbian couples there. My girlfriend and I currently reside in a very progressive city in North America, where we freely express affection in public without hesitation. We value and appreciate this privilege and understand the need to be mindful of cultural differences when traveling.

In light of this, how are similar expressions of affection observed in Buenos Aires? Is it advisable to be more discreet about our relationship in public? Is this a topic that locals typically prefer not to discuss?

(As a side note, I was born in Brazil and unfortunately, I'm well aware of the numerous cases of LGBTQ+ violence that occur annually in that country. While I understand every place is unique, I'm curious if similar precautions should be taken in Argentina, especially in Buenos Aires.)

Additionally, if you have any recommendations for a fun place to enjoy the nightlife, we would appreciate it.
Hi Karol,
During my time in Buenos Aires, I had the pleasure of befriending a few lesbian couples. I observed that some of them openly held hands or displayed affection in public, and it appears to be more common nowadays.

In terms of advice, based on my experience, I genuinely believe you won't encounter any major issues. Buenos Aires, and Argentina in general, are known for their open-minded and accepting attitudes. The people, especially in Buenos Aires, are very relaxed about these things. While you're likely to feel comfortable expressing affection, it's always a good idea to stay attuned to the local vibe and adjust accordingly.

From my perspective, I recommend going with an open mind, enjoying your time, and embracing the vibrant and easygoing atmosphere of Buenos Aires. Most likely, you'll have an incredible and trouble-free experience! 😊

Hello everyone,

I firmly believe that Buenos Aires stands out as the most progressive city in Latin America in these aspects.

In Argentina, same-sex marriage is not only legal but also groundbreaking, as it was the first city in the continent and one of the pioneers globally to sanction the law of equal marriage.

The atmosphere here is generally accepting, and you can walk hand in hand or share a kiss without encountering any problems. Usually, you won't face issues.

However, it's worth noting that in some more traditional settings, you might attract curious glances. For instance, in traditional coffee shops or places frequented by older individuals with more conservative beliefs, or in certain neighborhoods on the outskirts.

But, to reiterate, you can be your authentic selves without any problem in areas like Palermo, the center of Buenos Aires, Puerto Madero, Recoleta, and any other tourist spot you decide to explore.

I firmly believe that Buenos Aires stands out as the most progressive city in Latin America in these aspects.

In Argentina, same-sex marriage is not only legal but also groundbreaking, as it was the first city in the continent and one of the pioneers globally to sanction the law of equal marriage.

The atmosphere here is generally accepting, and you can walk hand in hand or share a kiss without encountering any problems. Usually, you won't face issues.

However, it's worth noting that in some more traditional settings, you might attract curious glances. For instance, in traditional coffee shops or places frequented by older individuals with more conservative beliefs, or in certain neighborhoods on the outskirts.

But, to reiterate, you can be your authentic selves without any problem in areas like Palermo, the center of Buenos Aires, Puerto Madero, Recoleta, and any other tourist spot you decide to explore.
I wholeheartedly 100% agree with this. While I don't personally know any lesbian friends. I have MANY gay friends and clients of mine. I've had many wonderful gay clients for the past 21 years in Buenos Aires. Most of them are from the USA, Canada, and the UK but a few from Asia too. What attracted them to Buenos Aires besides the beautiful city is the tolerance and accepting of the locals.

I have personally gone out to dinner over 100 times over the past 21+ years with my friends and clients and they often display public displays of affection and I always am proud that Buenos Aires fosters that kind of openness and acceptance.

walking around my first 3 days in Villa Crespo/Palermo, i saw 1 or 2 obvious same-sex couples and no one seemed to notice. there are also some tattooed/pierced/Goth/etc. types of people in these areas, and it doesn't seem like anyone is super religious or worried about what other people are doing in society.

It’s an incredible travel destination for LGBTQ+ people, due to its very progressive laws and positive attitude toward the community. I found it to be a safe place for lesbian women and couples and had a wonderful experience enjoying our time there. If you’re looking for a lively city with amazing gay culture and a never-ending list of things to do and see then definitely visit Buenos Aires!

The laws regarding LGBTQ+ people in Argentina are some of the best in the world, and Buenos Aires is a very lesbian-friendly destination to visit! The LGBTQ+ scene in Buenos Aires is amazing.

There is plenty of local gay culture, and the city is a big recipient of regular LGBTQ+ tourism. The city hosts an annual Pride Parade called the Marcha del Orgullo LGBT de Buenos Aires, taking place on the first Saturday in November, and throughout the rest of the year there are plenty of LGBTQ+ events and parties.

The regular gay nightlife scene isn’t strictly based in one neighborhood. You’ll find gay and gay-friendly establishments in the Palermo District, as well as Recoleta, San Telmo, and Barrio Norte, and also spread through the rest of the city. Along with the well-known gay neighbourhood bars like Bach Bar, and Flux Bar, and clubs like Amerika, there are also plenty of regular LGBTQ+ weekly parties to attend. Fiesta Jolie happens weekly and is popular with a female crowd, and Club 69 (the most famous queer party in Buenos Aires) features live performances and awesome late night party vibes. Another regular party is Fiesta Plop, another late night event featuring performers. Feliza is a queer bar and cultural centre in Buenos Aires that is definitely worth a visit.

It attracts a mixed crowd and offers a welcoming community space with live music, drinks, and food. A great casual daytime spot is Pride Cafe in San Telmo, located near Plaza Dorrego and San Telmo Market. Another place worth visiting is the Sante Fe subway station which was renamed after Carlos Jauregui, an LGBTQ+ rights activist. The station features LGBTQ+ art murals and a rainbow staircase! If you’re looking for other fun things to do in the gay community, try a lesson at Tango Queer!

They welcome same-sex couples, or you can go as a single person and dance with anyone and everyone. As you can see, Buenos Aires is an amazing destination for lesbian women and couples. We felt very safe traveling there and had absolutely no issues showing affection in public, holding hands in the street, or taking couples photos together.

We booked Airbnb accommodations with a local host as a married couple, and our host ended up being a gay man who was happy to give us plenty of recommendations on the local gay culture. Same-sex relationships feel very normalized in Buenos Aires, and the locals treated us kindly and respectfully.

We never felt the need to hide our relationship and it felt so wonderful to visit a destination that is so inclusive of our community. If you’re looking for somewhere that you can feel safe, while also experiencing some local gay culture, then Buenos Aires is the lesbian-friendly spot to visit. If you’re looking for a lively South American city with a great gay scene, be sure to add Buenos Aires to your travel list!

You will be in paradise if you're a lesbian in Buenos Aires. I'm not the partying type but my 2 best friends from my university days are both lesbians and they came a few months ago. I didn't go out with them every night but they didn't come home until 5 AM every night. They didn't want to leave! I told them they couldn't bring their girlfriends home. But I pointed them to try one of Buenos Aires many telos (sex hotels). They did just that! https://www.iexplore.com/destinations/buenos-aires/telo-hotels

Back