Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Is San Telmo/Monserrat a safe area?

Ted89

Hello, I'm considering a boutique hotel located on Chacabuco Street between Independencia and Chile streets in the Montserrat/San Telmo area. Could you provide information about the safety and overall quality of this neighborhood for accommodation? Alternatively, I've been exploring options in Palermo. Would you recommend sticking to Palermo, or is the Montserrat/San Telmo area a viable, decent and safe choice? Thank you

Since 'decent' can be subjective, it depends on your personal taste. The Montserrat/San Telmo area has a distinct vibe compared to Palermo, it's funkier and grittier. Speaking from my experience living in the neighborhood, I feel safe and comfortable here. So, if you're okay with a bit of an edgier atmosphere, it might be a good fit for you.

I have been robbed at gunpoint basically right on that corner lol. But that was at 2am walking home. There are lots of people in the street until like 9 - 10pm and I feel perfectly safe walking around until then, Later than that make sure you are travelling by taxi. I used to hang out at a bar on Belgrano street then walk home drunk after midnight maybe 500 times over many years and got robbed once so the chances are low imo

I have been robbed at gunpoint basically right on that corner lol. But that was at 2am walking home. There are lots of people in the street until like 9 - 10pm and I feel perfectly safe walking around until then, Later than that make sure you are travelling by taxi. I used to hang out at a bar on Belgrano street then walk home drunk after midnight maybe 500 times over many years and got robbed once so the chances are low imo
Wow!!! That is terrible. What did they steal? Did they get much? I don't like that area after it gets dark but I never knew anyone that was robbed at gunpoint. Horrible.

Yikes. That is all I need to hear. I will avoid that area. Thanks for letting me know. I read online that guns were very rare in Argentina so I am very surprised to read this. I am glad you are ok.

I also was walking home drunk in that area. I know I was stupid. Some kid that was much younger than me tried to rob me and asked me for my wallet but he had no gun or knife and actually thought I would give him my wallet. I told him to get lost and he ran off. I don't like this area once it is late. Chances of encountering crime here is probably slim to none but this area is sketchy after dark.

Wow!!! That is terrible. What did they steal? Did they get much? I don't like that area after it gets dark but I never knew anyone that was robbed at gunpoint. Horrible.

My wallet with maybe $20 US worth of pesos and a cheap old cell phone

The funny thing was after I was in shock and just stood there in the street, while the thief also just stood there. Then after a minute of awkward standing he pointed the gun at me again and told me angrily to keep on walking. Now I think maybe he lived in the building we were in front of and was waiting for me to leave so he could go up and count the loot

Now I feel bad, I don't want to dissuade you from staying, to reiterate I've been coming to Buenos Aires 15 years and this is the only time I've been robbed.
Yeah I don't think these posts should dissuade you from staying in the area. Honestly, unless it is very late you can just get an Uber that will drop you off at your hotel. I think in any major city around the world you will have some people that experience crime. BA is surprisingly safe for a city of it's size and especially economic situation.

The funny thing was after I was in shock and just stood there in the street, while the thief also just stood there. Then after a minute of awkward standing he pointed the gun at me again and told me angrily to keep on walking. Now I think maybe he lived in the building we were in front of and was waiting for me to leave so he could go up and count the loot
Sorry bruh this made me laugh more than it should have. In my mind I imagine getting robbed next to your building, going home to recover, and when you take the elevator some random dude asks you to hold it for him, only to find out lo and behold it's the same dude that just robbed you and in the ensuing convo that follows..

But glad you're safe and to hear such an occurrence is rare.

I read online that guns were very rare in Argentina
that's what the commies want you to think! there are almost 20 million illegal weapons (known about or estimated) in Argentina. more than legal ones!

if only criminals would stop breaking the law. we keep making guns harder to access, yet the most-dangerous criminals seem to get them fine! it's so confusing! /s

i wouldn't recommend Monserrat for a first-time BsAs. lots of trash, dog poop, and transients. i was there 2 weeks and it was plenty! i would disagree with the others here; no reason to stay in Monserrat when Palermo Chico has apartments for less than $800 USD/month. you'll have a way better time @Ted89

Yikes! I really don't like this area. Never have and probably never will. I just don't get the appeal of that area. Even when I first came to BA and started buying up real estate in Buenos Aires, it was always much cheaper in that San Telmo area but I just don't like the feel of that area, especially after dark.

They do have some beautiful architecture there so I'll give it that but other than Sunday and going then, I never liked this area. I'm glad to hear they didn't get anything and you weren't harmed. I think this sort of thing can happen in other major cities.

Back