Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Is Buenos Aires safe?

I had my wallet stolen on the Subway today. Be careful. Never put your wallet in the back of your pants. Luckily I didn't keep much in it. Just an old expired driver's license and an ATM card which I immediately cancelled. Thieves are slick on subway and you won't even notice it.

I had my wallet stolen on the Subway today. Be careful. Never put your wallet in the back of your pants. Luckily I didn't keep much in it. Just an old expired driver's license and an ATM card which I immediately cancelled. Thieves are slick on subway and you won't even notice it.
I was warned that the subway is a bit sketchy. I never used the subway there. Ubers and taxis are so cheap there. I just walked or took Ubers my 10 days there. Sorry this happened to you.

Be careful. I saw a motorcycle thief grabbing an iPhone from someone's hand at Armenia and Honduras in Soho today. It looked like a tourist that wasn't paying attention. They just rode off with it. It reminded me of this reporter that had his phone stolen a few years ago right on live TV. I am seeing more and more of these types of things so stay aware with your phones on the street.

Be careful. I saw a motorcycle thief grabbing an iPhone from someone's hand at Armenia and Honduras in Soho today. It looked like a tourist that wasn't paying attention. They just rode off with it. It reminded me of this reporter that had his phone stolen a few years ago right on live TV. I am seeing more and more of these types of things so stay aware with your phones on the street.

You will see more and more of this as people get hungry and desperate.

You will see more and more of this as people get hungry and desperate.
This was part of the reason my girlfriend wanted to move out of Buenos Aires. She thinks the situation will get worse. Maybe things will get better next year but there will be a painful transition until things get better. Costs are getting out of control on many things and healthcare costs keep shooting up. I think once this next round of utility hikes goes up, people will become desperate at the poorer levels.

Buenos Aires is relatively safe but there have always been minor theft of things like phones. It is picking up now that the economy is so bad. Didn't Apple come out with some theft deterrent system in their software? I got some notice to update my ios and said something about that.

Buenos Aires is relatively safe but there have always been minor theft of things like phones. It is picking up now that the economy is so bad. Didn't Apple come out with some theft deterrent system in their software? I got some notice to update my ios and said something about that.
Yes the newest ios has an update although I'm not sure it really does anything for people stealing it in the first place. People can always steal them for parts too.

Back