Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Information regarding visas, CUIT, please help!

JorgeNIce

Hello,

I am currently residing in Buenos Aires on a tourist visa. I've recently received a promising job offer, and the requirement at the end of the month is to invoice the company for the hours I've worked, necessitating my CUIT number. As far as I know, obtaining a CUIT requires a DNI, and to get a DNI, you need a work visa.
I've conducted extensive research as I urgently need the income to sustain my stay in Argentina. I've come across anecdotes of tourists obtaining their CUIT while on a tourist visa, but I'm struggling to identify the loophole. Has anyone encountered a way to accomplish this? I need my CUIT by the end of August or early September at the latest. In the worst-case scenario, I'm considering attempting to expedite the process by potentially engaging an Argentine AFIP clerk :cool:
Thank you for any advice you may be able to provide. I am currently working off the books, but this job is particularly appealing to me, and I am willing to explore all possibilities to secure it.

To obtain a CUIT, you typically need some form of residency. Options include obtaining a student visa or a rentista visa, followed by the CUIT application. However, this process is known for being slow, bureaucratic, and, in some cases, expensive.

Attempting to secure a CUIT on a tourist visa might be an option, but it comes with challenges. The initial hurdle is that the visa type needs to be indicated on the form, and "tourist" is not usually an available option. While some individuals have managed to navigate this successfully, there are no guarantees. Generally, the procedure involves registering at the AFIP office near your place of residence, supported by the certificado de domicilio form from the police. Given that many expats reside in a few specific neighborhoods, AFIP offices may be vigilant about tourists attempting to obtain a CUIT on a tourist visa. It could be worth a try nonetheless. If unsuccessful, the alternative may involve the company paying you off the books.

Certainly, you could explore the option of obtaining a visa rentista, but this avenue is viable only if you already receive a minimum of $2000 USD per month as passive income from an external source. It's worth noting that such income would be subject to taxation in Argentina. The recent increase in the income requirement for the visa rentista, from $700 to $2000 USD per month per person, may be related to the government's interest in generating tax revenue from higher income levels.

If the visa rentista route is not feasible, the company might consider paying you off the books, but this poses significant risks for both parties involved. While you have the flexibility to leave the country without repercussions, the company faces potential severe consequences from AFIP. Employing you without proper documentation and remitting payments without issuing a factura could lead to serious legal repercussions and tax liabilities for the company.
To obtain a CUIT, you typically need some form of residency. Options include obtaining a student visa or a rentista visa, followed by the CUIT application. However, this process is known for being slow, bureaucratic, and, in some cases, expensive.

Attempting to secure a CUIT on a tourist visa might be an option, but it comes with challenges. The initial hurdle is that the visa type needs to be indicated on the form, and "tourist" is not usually an available option. While some individuals have managed to navigate this successfully, there are no guarantees. Generally, the procedure involves registering at the AFIP office near your place of residence, supported by the certificado de domicilio form from the police. Given that many expats reside in a few specific neighborhoods, AFIP offices may be vigilant about tourists attempting to obtain a CUIT on a tourist visa. It could be worth a try nonetheless. If unsuccessful, the alternative may involve the company paying you off the books.

I know the head of AFIP and they told me they have closed most loopholes to people getting a CUIT/CUIL without having residency here. Some of you should probably bite the bullet and pay a lawyer to get you a DNI if you qualify. People don't like to consider themselves "illegal aliens" but that is essentially what lots of permatourists here are. Argentina will be cracking down on this over the next year.

I'm sure that earlyretirement knows that the OP will only "qualify" for a DNI if he can qualify for a work visa. If the employer is registered with AFIP to hire foreigners then the employer should be the one to help get the visa. I'm just adding this for those who don't know that a DNI is only issued to foreigners who have (at least) a temporary resident visa.;)

I noticed that this thread is already four months old and the OP needed the CUIT by September and hasn't posted since the end of July. I wonder what happened. I don't think he was really "offered a job" as submitting an "invoice" for the "amount of hours (he) worked" does not constitute employment.
I know the head of AFIP and they told me they have closed most loopholes to people getting a CUIT/CUIL without having residency here. Some of you should probably bite the bullet and pay a lawyer to get you a DNI if you qualify. People don't like to consider themselves "illegal aliens" but that is essentially what lots of permatourists here are. Argentina will be cracking down on this over the next year.

Back