Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Great recommendation for haircut in Buenos Aires - Mala Peluqueria (Palermo Soho)

earlyretirement

I wanted to post a recommendation for a great haircut! At home in San Diego, I might go every 6 weeks or so but it's so cheap in Buenos Aires I go every 2 or 3 weeks. In San Diego, I pay almost $40 US dollars. Here you can go to Mala Peluqueria. When I went a few weeks ago it was 7,000 pesos for a men's haircut ($7 US). But now I see they raised it to 8,000 pesos. I love that they have a price list on their website. They have a few different locations but I go to the one on Gorriti street in Soho.

I make a reservation on their website below and you have to pay a small deposit and they subtract it from your appointment. My kids go here too and so does my wife for cut and color. Ask for Brian or Julian. Those guys are great!

IG:

Reservations:

IMG_1310.JPG

i just saw a barber sign last week that said 2,500 Pesos for a quick men's cut. i'll try it out this week and report back. think they'll give me the medium-fade that 50% of Argentine guys seem to have? :p

i just saw a barber sign last week that said 2,500 Pesos for a quick men's cut. i'll try it out this week and report back. think they'll give me the medium-fade that 50% of Argentine guys seem to have? :p
Yes, also post where it was or the details. I'd love to read a report about a cheap haircut in Buenos Aires. It all adds up. My hair is also very easy to cut. Funny about the 50% of guys having that medium fade. So true!

okay i couldn't find that spot, i forgot where the sign was! it may have been only one day of the week, not sure. i ended up getting turned-down at a couple places yesterday (Saturday) so the third place i walked into got me an appointment a couple hours later (i'm used to the USA where you just go to Great Clips and check-in on your phone and there's not much of a wait, and no need for appointment, but i'm not a fancy hair guy).

price was 5,000 Pesos cash or MercadoPago (no credit card), so about $5 USD, and i tipped 2,000 Pesos. this guy spent a full 30 minutes cutting/fading my hair. i was there for about 35 mins, but he was actively cutting for 30, which is about 20 minutes too long for my needs :p but he did a good job and his hands didn't smell like cigarettes and overall it was 9/10 good. he was BSing with his 2 buddies, listening to Argentina rap music, so it was a chill environment and i'd go back:

Varo

their Instagram shows a WhatsApp # for scheduling via text, +54 Argentina, 1125231437 but their sign outside said "1525231437" and the only one that matched on WhatsApp is actually +54 9 11 2523-1437 so i would message that,
Mon-Sat 12:00-20:00

okay i couldn't find that spot, i forgot where the sign was! it may have been only one day of the week, not sure. i ended up getting turned-down at a couple places yesterday (Saturday) so the third place i walked into got me an appointment a couple hours later (i'm used to the USA where you just go to Great Clips and check-in on your phone and there's not much of a wait, and no need for appointment, but i'm not a fancy hair guy).

price was 5,000 Pesos cash or MercadoPago (no credit card), so about $5 USD, and i tipped 2,000 Pesos. this guy spent a full 30 minutes cutting/fading my hair. i was there for about 35 mins, but he was actively cutting for 30, which is about 20 minutes too long for my needs :p but he did a good job and his hands didn't smell like cigarettes and overall it was 9/10 good. he was BSing with his 2 buddies, listening to Argentina rap music, so it was a chill environment and i'd go back:

Varo

their Instagram shows a WhatsApp # for scheduling via text, +54 Argentina, 1125231437 but their sign outside said "1525231437" and the only one that matched on WhatsApp is actually +54 9 11 2523-1437 so i would message that,
Mon-Sat 12:00-20:00
Thanks. Most of these salons you have to book ahead of time. They get booked far ahead of time sometimes, especially on the weekends.

Back