Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

HuxLex

Lot's of interesting conversation came out about apartment prices on this forum last week, and it got me thinking: What are the best barrios for expats?

Let's leave out Palermo because everyone on this forum seems to agree that it's overpriced and overrun with tourists...

But what are best barrios right now in terms of Rent Price/ Culture/ Food –*you decide.

Thanks!

Palermo is huge and unless you only stay in certain areas you will not see or hear tourists. We own a condo in Palermo and love it. Lots of parks, good food shopping, close to everything, good transportation.

It depends on what the individual wants (and can afford.) :) If I had my pick of where to live in the city, I'd choose either Palermo Botanico, Saavedra, or Villa Devoto/Urquiza - in the nicer parts, of course. ;)

I'm so used to this run down part of provincia that when we go into Palermo it feels like we're in a different country.

Haha go easy on Palermo. I live down towards Libertador and I dont think I have heard a word of english since we moved down this end 8 months ago.

However, outside of the Recoleta, Barrio Norte, Palermo, Belgrano region, of those that I know and like: I have a cpl of mates that live in Caballito and it has some nice parts. Is pretty central as well. Also have a mate in Villa Crespo which is good. Nuñez is underrated as well.

Friends... any details on why you picked what you picked? This is a forum for prospective expats like me too ... so I'd love to know first hand what Rent is like (even in palermo), where the best deals are.. what makes your barrio special? Why the love?

Palermo and Recoleta are by far the nicest, most upscale and central neighborhoods of Buenos Aires.

I wouldn't have any desire to live in any other areas besides either of those two areas. Not to say there aren't safe and nice areas like Barrio Norte or Puerto Madero but for nice areas and being Central and availability for pretty much everything you need, IMHO nothing beats Recoleta or Palermo.

Palermo and Recoleta are by far the nicest, most upscale and central neighborhoods of Buenos Aires.

I wouldn't have any desire to live in any other areas besides either of those two areas. Not to say there aren't safe and nice areas like Barrio Norte or Puerto Madero but for nice areas and being Central and availability for pretty much everything you need, IMHO nothing beats Recoleta or Palermo.
There are some REALLY nice areas of Belgrano also, but has less nightlife and other things that might be more interesting to expats and visitors than Palermo and Recoleta.

There are some REALLY nice areas of Belgrano also, but has less nightlife and other things that might be more interesting to expats and visitors than Palermo and Recoleta.
Absolutely Belgrano is a beautiful neighborhood but it's just too far out for my taste and not nearly as convenient to me as Recoleta.

As mentioned, living in Recoleta is SO darn convenient. Tons of ATMs/banks, pharmacies, grocery stores, flower shops, restaurants and cafes, shopping, and just about anything else I need available around the clock.

If I want to head over to Puerto Madero it's not too far from Recoleta but from Belgrano that would really be a hike.

I have friends that live in Belgrano and they enjoy it but they mostly work from home.

I could care less about nightlife but it's all the other things that are so convenient to me.

When I lived in Recoleta it was on Arenales close to Junin. I rarely ventured deeper into Recoleta but often walked to El Centro via Arenales, Santa Fe, or Cordoba or to Palermo via Arenales, Juncal, or French. The buyers of my apartment were three sisters that were 25-30 years younger than me (so much for everyone being so much older there).

The last place I lived in in Capital Federal was in Nunez...just past Congreso which is the border with Belgrano. I was also two blocks from the end of the linea D of the subway. That meant I almost always got a seat on the way into the areas closer to the center.

I also lived in Palermo on Guise close to Blvd Charcas and the Bulnes station of linea D. I rode other line of the subte on occasion, usually linea C to San Telmo, and though I looked in many other areas, I never seriously considered living in an apartment that wasn't within four or five blocks of a station of linea D.

I live in Congreso, and I am just fine with it. I don't think all expats could live here though. There is little english spoken, and most of the businesses in the area are not upscale. Things are changing though, and quickly. The prices of real estate here in the 2 years we have lived here have increased about 50%. Any new businesses that open are very nicely designed, and public transportation can't be beat. Almost every bus passes through here as well as the A and B subway lines. Prices for everything here, food, services, etc are a good 25% less than other barrios and we are in walking distance of San Telmo and Microcentro. We also have some of the best quality and fancy architecture in the entire city. If you are looking for an alternative neighborhood, this is still a good time to get in while the prices are somewhat reasonable.

Recoleta "fer sure" I'm one of those "people" that live in Recoleta, I'm "self employed" can walk to Centro or Plaza Francia , never use the car during the week. Major point for me Security, never walk at night other than on Ave. Santa Fe...!!
Have looked at rents in Villa Crespo or Abasto, the savings amount to $200 max.per month.

I live in Congreso, and I am just fine with it. I don't think all expats could live here though. There is little english spoken, and most of the businesses in the area are not upscale. Things are changing though, and quickly. The prices of real estate here in the 2 years we have lived here have increased about 50%. Any new businesses that open are very nicely designed, and public transportation can't be beat. Almost every bus passes through here as well as the A and B subway lines. Prices for everything here, food, services, etc are a good 25% less than other barrios and we are in walking distance of San Telmo and Microcentro. We also have some of the best quality and fancy architecture in the entire city. If you are looking for an alternative neighborhood, this is still a good time to get in while the prices are somewhat reasonable.
The Barrio of Recoleta finishes at Ave. Cordoba, so this apartment would have been in Recoleta had it been on the Recoleta side of Cordoba.

Barrio Norte doesnt exist as a Barrio. Its like when people in London say "The West End"

The Barrio of Recoleta finishes at Ave. Cordoba, so this apartment would have been in Recoleta had it been on the Recoleta side of Cordoba.

Barrio Norte doesnt exist as a Barrio. Its like when people in London say "The West End"
Many people don't even know the official boundary lines of the neighborhoods. Also, different entities and different people use different boundaries. I go by the city. If you ever have any doubts, you can just plug in the address and it will come up on the city's official page and it has a lot of information on the building, etc.

Lot's of interesting conversation came out about apartment prices on this forum last week, and it got me thinking: What are the best barrios for expats?

Let's leave out Palermo because everyone on this forum seems to agree that it's overpriced and overrun with tourists...

But what are best barrios right now in terms of Rent Price/ Culture/ Food –*you decide.

Thanks!
Should start by saying we permanently live in a small town out in the BsAs Province so you can ignore what I say. However my wife and I have a small apartment in BA situated on Ave Uruguay two blocks from Ave Santa Fe. I haven't a clue what the area is called to be honest. I like the area as it's always busy with people going about their business which makes it feel safe even in the evening. It has plenty of cafes and restaurants within short walking distance.

Should start by saying we permanently live in a small town out in the BsAs Province so you can ignore what I say. However my wife and I have a small apartment in BA situated on Ave Uruguay two blocks from Ave Santa Fe. I haven't a clue what the area is called to be honest. I like the area as it's always busy with people going about their business which makes it feel safe even in the evening. It has plenty of cafes and restaurants within short walking distance.
This is a really old post but a good time to revive it. My office @BuySellBA took the time to describe almost all of the neighborhoods of Buenos Aires. You can click on the "Learn More" of the bottom fo each neighborhood to see the official boundary lines and find out more about the neighborhood.

If you have time to kill, it's fun visiting all the neighborhoods. Each has it's own personality and flavor.