Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Buying new apartment, not receiving deed until all units sold??

I did. I'm still waiting on the deed which could take 6 months or more (since not all the units have been sold yet), so not completely in the clear quite yet, but so far so good.

Lots of great advice here and the most important is lining up all the paperwork and signatures (from the seller, escribano, developer etc) BEFORE wiring or sending money and having questions answered to the point you're comfortable. Also working with a trusted broker who has plenty of experience helped. So far everything looks legit but until I receive the actual deed I won't know for certain.
Woo hoo! That is terrific. Did you move in already? Was everything as expected? Did you have any issues at all once taking possession of it? Did the monthly expenses match up with what they said it would be? I am going through the process of looking at some properties but they did not guarantee what the monthly expenses would be. Did you get your first bill yet?

Again congrats man.

I did. I'm still waiting on the deed which could take 6 months or more (since not all the units have been sold yet), so not completely in the clear quite yet, but so far so good.

Lots of great advice here and the most important is lining up all the paperwork and signatures (from the seller, escribano, developer etc) BEFORE wiring or sending money and having questions answered to the point you're comfortable. Also working with a trusted broker who has plenty of experience helped. So far everything looks legit but until I receive the actual deed I won't know for certain.
Congrats @FuturoBA! I'm glad to hear everything went smoothly. You bought at a great time. You should experience some great capital appreciation on that property. What neighborhood did you end up buying in?

Congrats on closing on your property! The title deed takes time to get. You should be able to use the copy of the deed for anything you need to do like set up utilities.
Thanks. I have my property manager taking care of everything until I move here.
Woo hoo! That is terrific. Did you move in already? Was everything as expected? Did you have any issues at all once taking possession of it? Did the monthly expenses match up with what they said it would be? I am going through the process of looking at some properties but they did not guarantee what the monthly expenses would be. Did you get your first bill yet?

Again congrats man.
Thanks. Plan was to move in around July but might have to push that back some. In the mean time having my property manager help with furnishing the place to rent out until then. I don't have the expensas but he's been taking it out from credits I had from which I paid more in estimated taxes than what was finalized. I don't recall how much expenses were, but it couldn't be much esp w it empty right now. January and February it was hard to get quotes on furniture and blinds etc so a bit of a delay with that.
Congrats @FuturoBA! I'm glad to hear everything went smoothly. You bought at a great time. You should experience some great capital appreciation on that property. What neighborhood did you end up buying in?
Thank you. I believe I saw a report stating Oct was the bottom and prices have been increasing now. Sometimes I'd still go on zonaprop to see what's there and looks bare now. I bought in Alto Palermo I believe it's called, a little south of Parque Las Heras.

Thanks. I have my property manager taking care of everything until I move here.

Thanks. Plan was to move in around July but might have to push that back some. In the mean time having my property manager help with furnishing the place to rent out until then. I don't have the expensas but he's been taking it out from credits I had from which I paid more in estimated taxes than what was finalized. I don't recall how much expenses were, but it couldn't be much esp w it empty right now. January and February it was hard to get quotes on furniture and blinds etc so a bit of a delay with that.

Thank you. I believe I saw a report stating Oct was the bottom and prices have been increasing now. Sometimes I'd still go on zonaprop to see what's there and looks bare now. I bought in Alto Palermo I believe it's called, a little south of Parque Las Heras.
Near the Alto Palermo shopping mall and that general area is a great area. Honestly, anywhere in Palermo is really great. I like over near that area. I have been buying several properties not too far from that area. I think for living it is better vs. heart of Soho which is really touristy now. Yes, the bottom was around September or October 2023. As you mentioned, not as much on ZonaProp these days even compared to a few months ago. Sales volume really went up after President Milei won the election and also fewer people want to sell now that he is in office as well.

Many new construction properties finishing soon don't have many units available either. You did great and best of luck with your property and enjoy Buenos Aires.

Near the Alto Palermo shopping mall and that general area is a great area. Honestly, anywhere in Palermo is really great. I like over near that area. I have been buying several properties not too far from that area. I think for living it is better vs. heart of Soho which is really touristy now. Yes, the bottom was around September or October 2023. As you mentioned, not as much on ZonaProp these days even compared to a few months ago. Sales volume really went up after President Milei won the election and also fewer people want to sell now that he is in office as well.

Many new construction properties finishing soon don't have many units available either. You did great and best of luck with your property and enjoy Buenos Aires.
As much as I enjoyed Soho 100% agree it's too touristy. Although I did see a 2B/1.5BA newly renovated that photographs very well there for a bit more and thought about purchasing. Probably would have been a better investment too for ROI as a rental/airbnb, but the current unit fits more my style for living long term -- quieter with a better view.

As much as I enjoyed Soho 100% agree it's too touristy. Although I did see a 2B/1.5BA newly renovated that photographs very well there for a bit more and thought about purchasing. Probably would have been a better investment too for ROI as a rental/airbnb, but the current unit fits more my style for living long term -- quieter with a better view.
It sounds like you found a nice unit that you will be comfortable living in and that is about the best that you can ask for. Your timing was good buying now. Prices fell a lot for many years. Most locals are talking about prices going up now and more activity. Congrats on buying now.

Again congrats @FuturoBA. Palermo Soho is good for tourists if they are only in town for a week or so. But for everyday living, we believe you will be very happy where you purchased. We predict that will be an up and coming area to live in for locals. Not sure on the exact location of your place, but this general area is being marketed now. "Palermo Freud". We believe the entire area from Scalabrini Ortiz - Las Heras - Gallo - Solar will have tremendous growth and appeal over the next several years heading into the future.

You can read this article about the area. Property values and especially garage spaces in Palermo Freud are going up at a good pace. You will enjoy living in the area. You can't go wrong anywhere in Palermo for living but we believe this general area will experience a lot of growth over the next few years and will be great for living. We have many friends and clients living in that area and they really love it. A very convenient and central area.

Again congrats @FuturoBA. Palermo Soho is good for tourists if they are only in town for a week or so. But for everyday living, we believe you will be very happy where you purchased. We predict that will be an up and coming area to live in for locals. Not sure on the exact location of your place, but this general area is being marketed now. "Palermo Freud". We believe the entire area from Scalabrini Ortiz - Las Heras - Gallo - Solar will have tremendous growth and appeal over the next several years heading into the future.

You can read this article about the area. Property values and especially garage spaces in Palermo Freud are going up at a good pace. You will enjoy living in the area. You can't go wrong anywhere in Palermo for living but we believe this general area will experience a lot of growth over the next few years and will be great for living. We have many friends and clients living in that area and they really love it. A very convenient and central area.

Wow so many different areas of Palermo. I've heard of Palermo Freud before, but didn't know which area it was referring to, and you're right it is located here. Thanks for the link, it really is central to everything and amazing how much cocheras/garages are going for too. I was considering either here in Palermo Freud or Palermo Chico/Botanico.

Formally or informally I've heard of other areas of Palermo referred to Palermo Alto, Palermo Botanico, and less so Palermo Queens and Chacalermo.

Wow so many different areas of Palermo. I've heard of Palermo Freud before, but didn't know which area it was referring to, and you're right it is located here. Thanks for the link, it really is central to everything and amazing how much cocheras/garages are going for too. I was considering either here in Palermo Freud or Palermo Chico/Botanico.

Formally or informally I've heard of other areas of Palermo referred to Palermo Alto, Palermo Botanico, and less so Palermo Queens and Chacalermo.
You are welcome. You bought at a great time. You should experience significant capital appreciation over the next several years. Enjoy your new apartment.

My friend bought a house in a gated community 2 years ago and he still hasn't gotten his title deed. I tell him no way that can be normal. I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a property and not getting a title deed. What happens if you want to sell the property and you don't even have the title deed yet? People seem crazy here buying stuff with no title deeds for years. Plus he said now neighbors are behind on the monthly HOA fees. What happens under that scenario in a gated community where people all stop paying their monthly dues and no one holds an escritura in their names on their own houses. Seems very strange to hear that.

My friend bought a house in a gated community 2 years ago and he still hasn't gotten his title deed. I tell him no way that can be normal. I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a property and not getting a title deed. What happens if you want to sell the property and you don't even have the title deed yet? People seem crazy here buying stuff with no title deeds for years. Plus he said now neighbors are behind on the monthly HOA fees. What happens under that scenario in a gated community where people all stop paying their monthly dues and no one holds an escritura in their names on their own houses. Seems very strange to hear that.
No way a title deed should take 2 YEARS. I've never heard of it taking that long. I'd start to worry about that. There are a lot of scams. When we were buying there were all kinds of people trying to sell properties under a trust or fidecomiso scam where you can never hold the title under your own name. They mostly target foreigners on those kind of scams. But locals get caught up with them as well. I wouldn't buy anything where I can't get the title in my own name. I know sometimes with paperwork things take time especially if it is new but no reason it would take 2 years. That would make me nervous.

Yes, I've heard about some of these whacky situations. The times I have seen issues is when people fall in love with a certain property and they will do things that aren't normal. They will get talked into buying something that aren't under normal circumstances. I am not sure what will happen to some of these gated communities if massive amounts of people stop buying HOA dues. It is one thing in an apartment but in many of these gated communities, there is massive overhead and massive infrastructure to maintain.

For example, I live in a gated community and with just the amount we spend on security guards, manned gates, landscaping, etc. it boggles the mind. I can't imagine these HOA administrations have massive reserve funds in Argentina. For many people it's not their principle home. It's a second or third home. I have purchased many hundreds of properties and I have never had a situation where it took more than 6 months to get the escritura.

Some foreigners just seem dumb! In researching a possible purchase in Argentina I have figured out that we aren't in Kansas anymore! Things here are very different. I see some dumb Americans doing dumb things here in Argentina. For example on the old forum I see posts like this below. Strange to post how you found a trusty escribano and then not know anything about money transfer. If you found a trustworthy lawyer then that lawyer should be guiding you!

Are people really this ignorant? The mere fact that he is asking these kinds of questions means the lawyer isn't good!

Dumb!.jpg

Back