Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics Bolsonaro potential new president of Brazil serious implications

PhelipCer

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...ffaf6d422aa_story.html?utm_term=.06cbf9422015

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...878f96be19b_story.html?utm_term=.9e8ca2ef5fb0

How can Brazil lurch from the left to the extreme right so quickly ? Brazil commentators please explain what is happening here . The election of Bolsonaro has extreme implications for Argentina due to the military strength of Brazil . the possible invasion of Venezuela with Brazils support ( impossible under a left wing government) and other issues . .

To be frank I have found the rise of this canditate to now the possible winner of Brazils election very suprising as Brazil has always been centre left and with his very controversial views regarding race. woman , and gay people I did not believe he would have a chance but now its likely he will be Brazils next president .

I like to hear other views on this very important development.

Who would invade Venezuela and why? Maybe if oil goes above $100 someone might invade. But until then I don't see it as a possibility.

Who would invade Venezuela and why? Maybe if oil goes above $100 someone might invade. But until then I don't see it as a possibility.
Iraq was invaded on a lie by western powers as was Afghanistan. There is a very strong possiblity that Venezuela will have military intervention soon.

Iraq was invaded on a lie by western powers as was Afghanistan. There is a very strong possiblity that Venezuela will have military intervention soon.
A real pity that Venezuelans have not only invaded Argentina but now crowd out native Argentines to suck welfare here. No problem, YOU pay for it.

Let's be realistic here. If Venezuela was invaded and taken over. NO ONE can do worst than what Chavez and his ilk have turned the country into. Proof positive of what happens when you start appropriating companies from foreign companies and cause people not to invest in the country or industries there.

Personally I think Venezuela getting invaded and taken over would be the best hope for the country and citizens.

What's happening in Brazil isn't too much different than what happened in the USA the last election. People are tired of career politicians and don't really care about what qualifications they have.

A real pity that Venezuelans have not only invaded Argentina but now crowd out native Argentines to suck welfare here. No problem, YOU pay for it.
While I have sympathy for Venezuelans it's a bit shocking just how many Venezuelans are in Buenos Aires now. I've seen them everywhere. And the scary thing is no matter how bad things get in Argentina, it will always be a paradise in every possible way vs. Argentina. So this could become problematic soon with locals possibly turning against them if too many come. You have already seen how nationalistic sentiment can turn in a country.

I do agree with Phelip that most others from South America like Colombia, Peru, Venezuela are hard working people that don't take advantage of the labor laws like many Argentines do. I love Argentina and Porteños but I wouldn't say they are hard working compared to most of Latin America that has a good strong work ethic.

Most of them seem to be working to me. Is that not true? I have heard for a while that they can find jobs that some unemployed Argentines can't find and that they are good workers.

Most of them seem to be working to me. Is that not true? I have heard for a while that they can find jobs that some unemployed Argentines can't find and that they are good workers.
Yes. They are SO thankful to have a job. I've heard first hand of many almost working for "slave wages" in Argentina but compared to Venezuela it's a windfall. Many Argentines are lazy and many are taking jobs that most Argentines wouldn't take for the low salaries. So it seems to me business owners love them (restaurant owners, bar owners, beauty salons, etc) but locals could turn sentiment under certain circumstances of severe recession/depression.

It's like the USA. Most Mexicans aren't stealing jobs like many claim. I employ several Mexicans and they're amongst the hardest working people I've ever met. Most of them are taking jobs that Americans are too lazy to do. But still look how sentiment has turned with Trump. Many people will never admit it but they are going to be very nationalistic and against foreigners coming to live and work in their country.

I own an apartment in Rio and I haven't been there for many years. The biggest problem there is you have really crime ridden areas right next to really affluent areas and the poor don't fear the police and many police are on the take there. So although I have an entire floor apartment 1 block from the beach I never go there. I just rent it out on long term leases and don't really have an interest to go there.

I always laugh when people try to say Buenos Aires is "dangerous". It really is laughable. Sure there is some petty crime like people stealing cellphones but major crime is not common here. On the flip side in Rio, many of my neighbors and friends have been robbed. A few of my wealthy friends kidnapping attempt and several have bullet proof glass on their cars.

Back