Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Best maternity hospitals in BA

It has become a total dump. I think many Canadians are in denial about how bad things are and will continue to get. Many people I’ve talked to seem to think this is a phase that will pass sooner than later but there is no competent leadership to deal with each new crisis. The cost of living here is absurd. Both crime and blatant drug use are sky rocketing. The future isn’t bright and it doesn’t feel like a stable environment to raise children right now. I fear the worst has yet to come for Canada.
I agree. Besides Vancouver I think many cities are pretty bad in Canada. I also have talked to some Indian friends that moved to Canada for a better life and totally disappointed with it. Not to mention the horrible weather. I don't think this is a phase. Quality of life sounds like it's getting worse and worse. Cost of living for what you get seems to be a losing proposition.

@CryptoMama7501, interesting as my friends also mentioned that crime is skyrocketing and drug use is rampant. They said outside of their office they routinely find syringes just on the floor of their office building. It sounds like a horrible place to raise a child. I applaud you for thinking about Argentina.

Do you have an online job? The only thing about Argentina is it's not too easy to make money with local jobs. Good luck and congrats on your baby.

I agree. Besides Vancouver I think many cities are pretty bad in Canada. I also have talked to some Indian friends that moved to Canada for a better life and totally disappointed with it. Not to mention the horrible weather. I don't think this is a phase. Quality of life sounds like it's getting worse and worse. Cost of living for what you get seems to be a losing proposition.

@CryptoMama7501, interesting as my friends also mentioned that crime is skyrocketing and drug use is rampant. They said outside of their office they routinely find syringes just on the floor of their office building. It sounds like a horrible place to raise a child. I applaud you for thinking about Argentina.

Do you have an online job? The only thing about Argentina is it's not too easy to make money with local jobs. Good luck and congrats on your baby.
The syringe thing is a real issue. They introduced safe injection sites throughout the cities. They opened one close to a university campus that I was working at while living in Toronto. My last year working there was horrific. We would find syringes all over the place, often had to call security because people were sneaking into our public bathrooms to get high and also witnessed several overdoses.

Thank you very much! I do have an online job so I intend to bring that over with me. We are looking forward to getting there. Argentina seems like a breath of fresh air.

The syringe thing is a real issue. They introduced safe injection sites throughout the cities. They opened one close to a university campus that I was working at while living in Toronto. My last year working there was horrific. We would find syringes all over the place, often had to call security because people were sneaking into our public bathrooms to get high and also witnessed several overdoses.

Thank you very much! I do have an online job so I intend to bring that over with me. We are looking forward to getting there. Argentina seems like a breath of fresh air.
My little sis lives in Toronto and she is desperate to leave. She has a job where they depend on her and she has given them notice. But they keep offering her more money to stay. She mentioned the same thing that you mentioned about finding syringes all over the place! I thought she was joking but reading your post makes me realize that this is a real issue!

She also said she witnessed an OD at the shopping mall. Wow, somehow I thought she was exaggerating or lying but reading your post makes me realize this is some kind of epidemic there. Crazy!

Wow! Thank you for validating this. Sometimes the most interesting information on this forum isn't always about Buenos Aires or Argentina but to validate that what I hear from other friends about how bad or expensive life has gotten in the USA or Canada or other parts of the world are true. It's an important validation for me.

I haven't heard anything good about Canada for years. It sounds like something happened during COVID to accelerate how bad it's becoming. I have heard many friends from Canada say they have moved to Mexico or other more affordable places. I haven't heard one Canadian say anything positive about their leaders in government. Most always complain.

Now reading real life examples of people fleeing Canada makes me realize that everything I'm hearing is true. It makes me feel so fortunate to be living in Argentina. My friends say I'm crazy and they hear so many horrible things about our economy but I feel so fortunate on how affordable it really is here in BA and very safe and great quality of life. You will feel so happy to raise a child in BA.

That is great news about your job. If you can be a digital nomad you will have the best of both worlds. Really anyone making US dollars here is in heaven. The ones that are feeling the pinch are people that are making pesos or expats that are retirees on a super low pension. Most that I know will never move out of Argentina because there is no comparable city to go to.

Wow! Thank you for validating this. Sometimes the most interesting information on this forum isn't always about Buenos Aires or Argentina but to validate that what I hear from other friends about how bad or expensive life has gotten in the USA or Canada or other parts of the world are true. It's an important validation for me.

I haven't heard anything good about Canada for years. It sounds like something happened during COVID to accelerate how bad it's becoming. I have heard many friends from Canada say they have moved to Mexico or other more affordable places. I haven't heard one Canadian say anything positive about their leaders in government. Most always complain.

Now reading real life examples of people fleeing Canada makes me realize that everything I'm hearing is true. It makes me feel so fortunate to be living in Argentina. My friends say I'm crazy and they hear so many horrible things about our economy but I feel so fortunate on how affordable it really is here in BA and very safe and great quality of life. You will feel so happy to raise a child in BA.

That is great news about your job. If you can be a digital nomad you will have the best of both worlds. Really anyone making US dollars here is in heaven. The ones that are feeling the pinch are people that are making pesos or expats that are retirees on a super low pension. Most that I know will never move out of Argentina because there is no comparable city to go to.
Agreed! I go long periods where I don't go back to the US unless it's Christmas and I don't go every Christmas so this year it was 2 years ago. I am very shocked to see how much everything is. When people like @Larry so things are the same price as the USA I think maybe some places might be if Don Julio is charging $100 US for a steak. But people would be shocked to see how expensive things are here! I went to Whole Foods yesterday in the Bay Area and $100 US barely gets you anything. The price of fruits here are astronomical. The price of gas here is outrageous.

Just going for a nice meal out is shocking here. No @Larry prices in BA are NOT the same as USA.

@CryptoMama7501 you will love Argentina. You will see the parks all full of parents with their kids.

Back