Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Best maternity hospitals in BA

Sophie

Hello,

I hope this message finds you well. I have been settled in Buenos Aires for a few months now due to a work assignment that will keep me here for over a year. Also, I am delighted to share that I am pregnant.

Since my stay will be prolonged and considering my condition, my husband and I are currently researching the best maternity options in Buenos Aires. I would like to know if you could provide me with information or recommendations on the most outstanding maternity hospitals in the city. Any guidance or advice you can offer will be of great help.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance. I am anxious to settle into this new stage of my life in Buenos Aires and to receive any guidance you can give me.

Best regards!

Hello Sophie,

I want to share with you my experience with maternity in Buenos Aires, as I have lived here for the past four years and have been fortunate enough to become a mother during this time. For me, choosing the right maternity was essential, and I want to emphasize that my experience at Mater Dei was exceptional.

Four years ago, when I was pregnant for the first time, I researched extensively and Mater Dei emerged as my top choice. Since then, I have delivered both of my children at this hospital, and I cannot praise enough the exceptional care I received at every stage of the process. The quality of medical care, the warmth of the staff and the modern facilities all contributed to making my birthing experience a memorable and safe one.

While I also considered Sanatorio Otamendi, which has a well-deserved reputation for its standards of excellence in healthcare, my final choice was Mater Dei, and I have no regrets whatsoever. Both centers are renowned, but my personal experience at Mater Dei has left a lasting and positive impression on me.

Every maternity experience is unique, and I know that choosing a place to give birth is a personal decision. If anyone is looking for recommendations, based on my experience, Mater Dei has been an exceptional choice for me and my family.

I hope my experience can be of help to those who are in the exciting stage of planning for the arrival of a new family member.

With love,

Hello Sophie,

I am glad to be able to support you in this very significant and sensitive matter.

There are three maternity hospitals that stand out from the rest among those who have medical coverage or choose to pay for childbirth privately.
The 3 maternity hospitals with the most deliveries are:

Mater Dei Sanatorio
Otamendi Sanatorio
Sanatorio Los Arcos / Suizo Argentina
(the registers are unified)

These three institutions stand out from the rest for being some of the most traditional in the City of Buenos Aires. They even surpass outstanding community hospitals such as the Italian, the German or the British, which in total number of patients are up to 5 times more than the aforementioned sanatoriums.

If we also ask the total number of future parents which maternity hospital they would choose if they could freely choose among any of them, Mater Dei and Hospital Italiano are the most repeated answers, closely followed by Otamendi and Suizo Argentina.

Of course, these private maternity hospitals are also among the most expensive, so it will be very difficult to access them unless you have medical coverage, practically in all cases a first level prepaid medicine.

Ranking of maternity hospitals according to satisfaction:

Wich are the maternity hospitals with the best experiences for families to give birth?

Here is the ranking of the best options to have a family in Capital Federal.

1) Sanatorio Mater Dei, with a 91% satisfaction rate.
2) Otamendi Sanatorium, 88%.
3) Hospital Italiano, 86%.
4) Suizo Argentina Sanatorium and Maternity Hospital, 81%.
5) British Hospital, 78% Hospital Británico, 78

For the previous ranking, more than 4 thousand families who gave birth in the last 4 years in different institutions in the country were surveyed. The survey was conducted digitally through the website www.clinica-web.com.ar.

Contacs:

1701872205365.jpeg
IG: https://www.instagram.com/sanatoriomaterdei/
Phone Number: 54 9 11 4809-5555

1701872410290.jpeg

IG: https://www.instagram.com/sanatoriootamendi/
Phone Number: 54 9 11 4965-2900

1701872605167.jpeg

Phone Number: 54 9 11 5239-6000

I hope this information is useful to you and that you enjoy this moment to the fullest.

@earlyretirement and his wifey had kids in BsAs, so definitely ask him
Sorry, I've been so busy and didn't see this post. Yes, I lived in Buenos Aires for 9 years and I've been a 21+ year permanent resident of Argentina. I also got married in Buenos Aires. 2 of my 3 children were born in Buenos Aires. My youngest was born in San Diego and was also a very good experience but once again we were friends with the Medical Director of the hospital.

I feel obligated to mention the hospitals and healthcare systems in Buenos Aires are MUCH better than the USA. Don't get me wrong. Our experience in the USA was also very good. So no complaining there but our experience in Buenos Aires was terrific!

We had OSDE 410 medical insurance plan and it was amazing! Our first child, we had at Sanatorio de la Trinidad - https://maps.app.goo.gl/j7rKjbcqoWiRdNgC7

It was a great experience. But we selected this hospital because my Office Manager's father was the Head of the entire hospital so we got the VIP treatment. The night my wife went into labor, they actually kicked out the person who had the VIP suite and they moved them in a normal room so we could go into it. And the doctor's were great! The entire staff was wonderful. The VIP room they gave us was huge and it had a separate bed that I slept in. The healthcare. providers were all amazing.

But we selected this place due to my office manager, Mariela's father. Her father was asked by President Kirchner to be the Minister of Health for Argentina to give you an idea of his prominence. He turned it down as he was making too much money running the hospital.

The second child we had we went to Sanatorio De Los Arcos (https://maps.app.goo.gl/LtGRNNwor5Ji4yex6) which was only a few blocks away from the first hospital. Also, a really fabulous experience. I can't remember why we didn't go back to the first hospital but I think we really liked a particular doctor if my memory serves me correctly and they were on call at that hospital. But once again, I got a VIP suite with a big bed in it for me too to sleep.

I'm not honestly sure if this extra bed is the norm or not. I know in the first hospital it was NOT normal and I feel bad they moved the other patient for us. But my office manager's father was wonderful. I get migraines and I remember the first time I got one and her father insisted on getting an MRI for me. A few hours after I complained about it. LOL. Looking back now I think that was probably over the top. You would NEVER get that in the USA. My perception of how great the healthcare system is probably distorted a bit as any time I needed something her father would send his assistant and I would never have to wait. That was pretty awesome and I realize NOT the norm. But healthcare is amazing there.

But with my OSDE 410, I had $0 co-pays. The medical coverage is insanely good there. I paid for OSDE 410 medical plans for all my employees and they even paid for the females in the office to get breast augmentations. So needless to say in the early days when I was single it was very distracting in the office as we were only hiring recent University graduates as we were hiring friends of employees and they were all recently graduated.

Sorry, I've been so busy and didn't see this post. Yes, I lived in Buenos Aires for 9 years and I've been a 21+ year permanent resident of Argentina. I also got married in Buenos Aires. 2 of my 3 children were born in Buenos Aires. My youngest was born in San Diego and was also a very good experience but once again we were friends with the Medical Director of the hospital.

I feel obligated to mention the hospitals and healthcare systems in Buenos Aires are MUCH better than the USA. Don't get me wrong. Our experience in the USA was also very good. So no complaining there but our experience in Buenos Aires was terrific!

We had OSDE 410 medical insurance plan and it was amazing! Our first child, we had at Sanatorio de la Trinidad - https://maps.app.goo.gl/j7rKjbcqoWiRdNgC7

It was a great experience. But we selected this hospital because my Office Manager's father was the Head of the entire hospital so we got the VIP treatment. The night my wife went into labor, they actually kicked out the person who had the VIP suite and they moved them in a normal room so we could go into it. And the doctor's were great! The entire staff was wonderful. The VIP room they gave us was huge and it had a separate bed that I slept in. The healthcare. providers were all amazing.

But we selected this place due to my office manager, Mariela's father. Her father was asked by President Kirchner to be the Minister of Health for Argentina to give you an idea of his prominence. He turned it down as he was making too much money running the hospital.

The second child we had we went to Sanatorio De Los Arcos (https://maps.app.goo.gl/LtGRNNwor5Ji4yex6) which was only a few blocks away from the first hospital. Also, a really fabulous experience. I can't remember why we didn't go back to the first hospital but I think we really liked a particular doctor if my memory serves me correctly and they were on call at that hospital. But once again, I got a VIP suite with a big bed in it for me too to sleep.

I'm not honestly sure if this extra bed is the norm or not. I know in the first hospital it was NOT normal and I feel bad they moved the other patient for us. But my office manager's father was wonderful. I get migraines and I remember the first time I got one and her father insisted on getting an MRI for me. A few hours after I complained about it. LOL. Looking back now I think that was probably over the top. You would NEVER get that in the USA. My perception of how great the healthcare system is probably distorted a bit as any time I needed something her father would send his assistant and I would never have to wait. That was pretty awesome and I realize NOT the norm. But healthcare is amazing there.

But with my OSDE 410, I had $0 co-pays. The medical coverage is insanely good there. I paid for OSDE 410 medical plans for all my employees and they even paid for the females in the office to get breast augmentations. So needless to say in the early days when I was single it was very distracting in the office as we were only hiring recent University graduates as we were hiring friends of employees and they were all recently graduated.
Thank you @earlyretirement ! Quite the treasure trove of excellent information. My fiancé and I just found out we are going to have a baby. She is just 3 months pregnant but we think we will stay here in Argentina to have the baby so this is very timely. Do you know if I can sign up for medical coverage not having a DNI or permanent residency?

Thank you @earlyretirement ! Quite the treasure trove of excellent information. My fiancé and I just found out we are going to have a baby. She is just 3 months pregnant but we think we will stay here in Argentina to have the baby so this is very timely. Do you know if I can sign up for medical coverage not having a DNI or permanent residency?
I do not believe you can sign up for a medical plan without having a DNI here. This may have changed but it was previously like this.

I am interested in giving birth in BA at the end of July next year. I am beginning prenatal care in Canada. My goal is to arrive early in May. Everything is so bureaucratic in Canada and takes months on end to set up. Is it reasonable to assume that I will be able to find a doctor/hospital to deliver with in the span of 2 months?

I do not believe you can sign up for a medical plan without having a DNI here. This may have changed but it was previously like this.
No, this isn't correct. I just posted yesterday about this. See this post below:

I am interested in giving birth in BA at the end of July next year. I am beginning prenatal care in Canada. My goal is to arrive early in May. Everything is so bureaucratic in Canada and takes months on end to set up. Is it reasonable to assume that I will be able to find a doctor/hospital to deliver with in the span of 2 months?
Congrats on the upcoming birth @CryptoMama7501 ! Will you just pay out of pocket for this? I assume you don't have a private plan? Do you have a hospital in mind here?

I've heard from several locals that many Russians are coming here just to have kids born here so they can get Citizenship. I thought in Canada you had socialized medicine? Is it that bad there in Canada?

Thank you!

I am open to paying out of pocket. I don’t have an existing private plan and willl start looking into private plans this month. I am assuming the premiums will be significantly higher since I’m already pregnant but I will at least look into it.

Our family has been discussing moving abroad to BA for sometime. We are over the moon about the pregnancy and would love to start our new life there as soon as possible.

Canadian healthcare is socialized but has been in terrible shape for years. There is a shortage of doctors and the wait times have become unmanageable. We moved cities a few years ago and have been unable to find a doctor here. The healthcare system is one of many reasons that we are choosing to leave unfortunately.

We had our son in the Hospital Aleman. The whole process during the pregancy and the birth was very well managed . The care we have received since the birth( 12 years ago now...) has been excellent.

We decided to use the Aleman as my wife's gynocologist was on call there and as we knew it was going to be C-section , we wanted a place whr we knew the staff.

I am not sure now but the Aleman historically has sold health plans to people with passports . DNIs were not necessary when we signed up.

I also know of a case where they sold a plan to a pregnant lady. She had to pay a few months extra premiums. Again this was few years ago now and have no idea what their curnet policy is.

Wow I am surprised that insurance plans will insure someone that is already pregnant. I'd never see that in the USA. Let us know how it turns out. I also heard that Canada healthcare system is very bad and wait times to find a doctor is very long. That is sad to hear. I read many immigrants are leaving Canada now.

Thank you!

I am open to paying out of pocket. I don’t have an existing private plan and willl start looking into private plans this month. I am assuming the premiums will be significantly higher since I’m already pregnant but I will at least look into it.

Our family has been discussing moving abroad to BA for sometime. We are over the moon about the pregnancy and would love to start our new life there as soon as possible.

Canadian healthcare is socialized but has been in terrible shape for years. There is a shortage of doctors and the wait times have become unmanageable. We moved cities a few years ago and have been unable to find a doctor here. The healthcare system is one of many reasons that we are choosing to leave unfortunately.
You will really enjoy having a baby born in any of these hospitals. I'm sure they are very good. I had 2 kids born in Buenos Aires and both were wonderful experiences. As good or better than the USA where we also had a baby born.

The doctors in Argentina are very good. The private hospitals as well are very good. I agree with you about Canada. I have been posting on my Twitter for months how bad Canada is. I call it the new armpit of North America.

Even the immigrants are leaving! Bad leadership, bad government, high housing prices, limited job opportunities. Cities like Toronto are dystopian societies where everyone tells one another a lie of how great it is but really besides a few nice neighborhoods it's a dump. Sure, immigrants escaping slavery, persecution, religious persecution are flocking to Canada and Canada needs those people. But very few people I know what to have kids and raise them in Canada. Most of the smart ones are leaving to Mexico, Argentina and other places with higher quality of life.

This guy on Twitter has some great facts on Canada:

You will really enjoy having a baby born in any of these hospitals. I'm sure they are very good. I had 2 kids born in Buenos Aires and both were wonderful experiences. As good or better than the USA where we also had a baby born.

The doctors in Argentina are very good. The private hospitals as well are very good. I agree with you about Canada. I have been posting on my Twitter for months how bad Canada is. I call it the new armpit of North America.

Even the immigrants are leaving! Bad leadership, bad government, high housing prices, limited job opportunities. Cities like Toronto are dystopian societies where everyone tells one another a lie of how great it is but really besides a few nice neighborhoods it's a dump. Sure, immigrants escaping slavery, persecution, religious persecution are flocking to Canada and Canada needs those people. But very few people I know what to have kids and raise them in Canada. Most of the smart ones are leaving to Mexico, Argentina and other places with higher quality of life.

Spot on target! Canada is a dump. I never heard of that term. I had to look it up! Perfect description.

I am not sure now but the Aleman historically has sold health plans to people with passports . DNIs were not necessary when we signed up.

I also know of a case where they sold a plan to a pregnant lady. She had to pay a few months extra premiums. Again this was few years ago now and have no idea what their curnet policy is.
Thank you. I will look into this option too. In any case, I am looking forward to receiving a higher standard of care than what is offered here.

It has become a total dump. I think many Canadians are in denial about how bad things are and will continue to get. Many people I’ve talked to seem to think this is a phase that will pass sooner than later but there is no competent leadership to deal with each new crisis. The cost of living here is absurd. Both crime and blatant drug use are sky rocketing. The future isn’t bright and it doesn’t feel like a stable environment to raise children right now. I fear the worst has yet to come for Canada.

Back