Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Legal Any risk to constantly overstaying on tourist visa? How many times can you do border runs in Argentina?

How many tourists are getting deported?? Or is this a headline bc of how seldom it occurs
I doubt tourists are the ones getting deported. Argentina has been very generous with this sort of thing but I think the general thought is that it is better not to assume that Argentina will always be so generous and allow people to overstay.

I hope all of you good people can offer me some advice. I have also posted on other forums trying to get reassuring advice. I have been to Argentina before so this isn't my first trip. This latest trip I arrived to Argentina at the beginning of January 2024 and I was planning to stay here in Argentina until July 2024. So about 6 months total. I visited Montevideo and Colonia in February and then arrived back to Buenos Aires. I went on Buquebus. My tourist visa renewed and it is still good until a few more days.

I went to the migration office today to renew my visa. Friends told me not to worry about it and just overstay and I wouldn't have issues paying a fine. But I really like this country and maybe might try to move here so I didn't want to break any rules. Other friends have gone back and forth to Uruguay or Brazil without any problems just saying they are traveling around South America.

I was shocked that the customs office said they had to deny my renewal. He could see that I already requested and was granted a tourist visa renewal last year in July 2023 when I came in for almost 5 months. He said renewals were only limited to once per year. I asked him what my opinion was and he said the only option would be to overstay and pay the fine before my departure. I asked him if that was legal and he said no it's not legal. He said that it is breaking the law. He said that so far people do that but he didn't know if there would be any further ramifications and said that this administration is trying to change many things and they are very strict now on letting people stay illegally. He said in the past they would allow it but now employees are getting scared of getting fired.

I was tempted to offer him a bribe but I didn't want any more issues. What do you all think caused my issues? Was it because I visited Uruguay in February? Or just because I have already done this within the past year? I don't understand as all my friends have been just entering and exiting without problems. Is it because of the new President?

My biggest worry is that when I try to come back into Argentina will they deny me? They can clearly see everything because they immediately rejected my extension once they scanned my passport. Going the legal route of getting a DNI is too painful and slow. Help.

I hope all of you good people can offer me some advice. I have also posted on other forums trying to get reassuring advice. I have been to Argentina before so this isn't my first trip. This latest trip I arrived to Argentina at the beginning of January 2024 and I was planning to stay here in Argentina until July 2024. So about 6 months total. I visited Montevideo and Colonia in February and then arrived back to Buenos Aires. I went on Buquebus. My tourist visa renewed and it is still good until a few more days.

I went to the migration office today to renew my visa. Friends told me not to worry about it and just overstay and I wouldn't have issues paying a fine. But I really like this country and maybe might try to move here so I didn't want to break any rules. Other friends have gone back and forth to Uruguay or Brazil without any problems just saying they are traveling around South America.

I was shocked that the customs office said they had to deny my renewal. He could see that I already requested and was granted a tourist visa renewal last year in July 2023 when I came in for almost 5 months. He said renewals were only limited to once per year. I asked him what my opinion was and he said the only option would be to overstay and pay the fine before my departure. I asked him if that was legal and he said no it's not legal. He said that it is breaking the law. He said that so far people do that but he didn't know if there would be any further ramifications and said that this administration is trying to change many things and they are very strict now on letting people stay illegally. He said in the past they would allow it but now employees are getting scared of getting fired.

I was tempted to offer him a bribe but I didn't want any more issues. What do you all think caused my issues? Was it because I visited Uruguay in February? Or just because I have already done this within the past year? I don't understand as all my friends have been just entering and exiting without problems. Is it because of the new President?

My biggest worry is that when I try to come back into Argentina will they deny me? They can clearly see everything because they immediately rejected my extension once they scanned my passport. Going the legal route of getting a DNI is too painful and slow. Help.
I heard that the government is really trying to crack down on anything that is irregular. It's a slippery slope when they allow one group vs. another. I think they are trying to really get more like first world countries with immigration and rules and laws in general. You won't have issues paying and leaving but no one knows when you come back if you will have issues or not.

I heard that the government is really trying to crack down on anything that is irregular. It's a slippery slope when they allow one group vs. another. I think they are trying to really get more like first world countries with immigration and rules and laws in general. You won't have issues paying and leaving but no one knows when you come back if you will have issues or not.
Same.

Sucks. I saw your other thread you created. Feels like things are changing as it relates to overstaying. I can't see why they care as we are good for their economy. Spending money on rents, dining out at restaurants and buying stuff. Lots of countries in the EU look like a war zone because they were too lax on immigration. Argentina will want to get ahead of this.

Last edited:
Painful? Wow. Well, then go ahead, overstay, bribe, do all the wrong things and see what happens next time you try to enter Argentina.

Where are you from? Does your country make it easy for foreigners who "might try to move" there?
I honestly don't want to do things illegally as I stated in my post. I am trying to do things the right way. I'm from the United States. It used to be painfully difficult to enter the States legally but now they are bringing them in by the bus full. It is very easy now it seems as many cities are flooded with immigrants from all over South America. So to answer your question, YES the USA is making it very easy to enter illegally now.

Painful? Wow. Well, then go ahead, overstay, bribe, do all the wrong things and see what happens next time you try to enter Argentina.

Where are you from? Does your country make it easy for foreigners who "might try to move" there?
In USA I heard if you are caught illegal they deport you. Very difficult to enter again if you get caught overstaying.

Back