Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Education A sensitive issue in Argentine society that could tarnish Milei's image: Cutbacks in public education

Melibaires

Many of us who support Milei in his entire management don't agree with this crazy idea of cutting back on public education, as surveys demonstrate. Although we continue to make sacrifices and endure all the increases because we understand the reasoning, we will not accept that public education be so mishandled. The UBA (University of Buenos Aires) is among the top 50 in the world. Why target education and not other sectors?

Do you know that there have been cuts in the special education sector? I know because a friend of mine is a teacher, and some students cannot attend school because the transportation service for disabled children, which is their only means of mobility, has been canceled. I believe education is an area that we must take care of :(

Disapproval of the government's policy of freezing the university budget stood at 58.5% , a figure made up of those who "strongly disagreed" (50%) and "disagreed" (8.5%). . The data is completed by 20.9% of respondents who "strongly agreed", 17.5% who "agreed", and 3.1% who did not know.

However, when respondents were asked how much they agree with the phrase "public education is everyone's right and we must defend it" , 87.4% were in favor, a striking figure that includes those who still They approve Milei's management.

Today will be a historic march. Despite many seeking political advantage, it's an explicit demand from the students, and I hope they are heard. Education is everything, without it, we are nothing.

1713897084118.png
Not only students will go, but everyone who supports public education, that is why it will be one of the most massive of Milei's administration.

I think Milei will have a hard time with this issue, it is true that many of those who support him in his measures do not agree with this budget cut in education. I believe that his image will be negatively affected if he does not negotiate with the authorities of the universities.

At least he gave an encouraging message stating that he will guarantee the funds for education...

One of the problems in the Argentine university system is the amount of cash spent on salaries to people who dont work one single day in the system.

The guys who manage the system are refusing the government's attempts to audit the whole personnel structure.

You really have to ask why they are refusing a simple audit process.

Or maybe not............

One of the problems in the Argentine university system is the amount of cash spent on salaries to people who dont work one single day in the system.

The guys who manage the system are refusing the government's attempts to audit the whole personnel structure.

You really have to ask why they are refusing a simple audit process.

Or maybe not............
Exactly. Milei's approach seems to be there is so much corruption that they almost have to stop all the payments and almost start all over. Too much fraud and abuse. Difficult to clean it all up.

Many things will change with Milei...Audits are strictly necessary to put an end to all this corruption.

Audits are an absolute necessity.

The government should also be looking at the past few years to see who has been picking up a salary cheque for doing absolutely nothing.

The government should also be looking at the past few years to see who has been picking up a salary cheque for doing absolutely nothing.
The problem will be once they do these audits, everyone will discover what a farce the entire system is. Absolutely audits are necessary but they probably should start building many more prisons now to house all that will get arrested.

The problem will be once they do these audits, everyone will discover what a farce the entire system is. Absolutely audits are necessary but they probably should start building many more prisons now to house all that will get arrested.
It seems like it is impossible to go after all the corruption but Milei wants to get rid of a lot of it to cut down on costs of funding all of these fake jobs. I wonder how far it will extend?

Milei never talked about closing universities. The other side always tries to lie.

I don't think it is something difficult to check, they should just take the initiative and also penalize those who handled with impunity.

Back