Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Politics ‘All feminists are under attack’: ultra-right threat in Milei’s Argentina forces writer into exile

Avocado

Milei very bad. He is hell bent on destroying this country. He wants to close the INADI also

Milei very evil. He want to close anything that help protect the people dignity. He shut down many important agencies that help protect people's rights.

I recommend reading about the runaway slave law in New York in 1850. You'll see why some people think it's unfair because it allows a woman's statement to be enough for conviction, without any evidence, if she reports it and confirms it in court.

I got accused of punching a woman who didn't even have a scratch on her, but they hauled me into court anyway. The prosecutor had the nerve to try and strong-arm me into taking a lesser sentence with a guilty plea. Every witness – cops, doctors, experts – testified that she wasn't harmed, yet they still dragged me through the trial. Thankfully, I didn't get convicted because the fake victim chickened out when I told her that her false claim could land her 10 years behind bars. This whole legal mess is a downright abomination!

Oh, what a groundbreaking idea! Maybe we should consider this novel concept called trial by jury. It's not like it's been around for centuries or anything. I mean, who needs a fair and impartial group of peers when you can just rely on the wisdom of a single prosecutor trying to cut a deal? Brilliant, really.

Oh, what a groundbreaking idea! Maybe we should consider this novel concept called trial by jury. It's not like it's been around for centuries or anything. I mean, who needs a fair and impartial group of peers when you can just rely on the wisdom of a single prosecutor trying to cut a deal? Brilliant, really.
I don't really think it's very rational, maybe even a bit old-fashioned. Having regular people decide someone's fate seems strange. I've only seen it in Hollywood movies, but I don't see many advantages in that kind of system.

Imagine having your destiny determined by folks who can't even come up with a good excuse to get out of jury duty. Hilarious, right? Like, "Hey, let's entrust our lives to the geniuses who couldn't dodge serving on a jury!" Classic move, isn't it?

Question: Why can't advocacy and the work of INADI be done by various NGOs, like in most countries, including the developed world?

What protects people's dignity is the law and the judiciary. NGOs ensure people know and can access the law, keep an eye on the judiciary, and lobby for laws that protect dignity. This way, public money isn't used to politicize the rights, votes, and dignity of minorities through a twisted "don't-bite-the-hand-that-feeds-you" politics that many Argentines have become accustomed to.

Moving on to the article, some people are just disgusting. "I will eat your liver"? That's sick. Hopefully, Minister of Security Patricia Bullrich will do more to protect those facing such crimes.

Politics worldwide is getting unnecessarily heated. People go for "low blows" during political debates to get attention, trigger emotional reactions, and distract from core issues. This leads to individuals grouping together based on unrelated issues, creating subversive campaign tactics. The downside is it quickly spirals into hatred, violence, and victimization.

Unfortunately, some people try to "hijack" a whole group they "identify" with and claim to represent, creating a cycle of violence and extremism. Identity politics should be left out of economic political debate, and economic political debate needs to be kept separate from identity politics. Regardless of identity, focus on policies and issues without resorting to collective hate-mongering. Just focusing on the issues is the best way to expose hate-mongers for what they are.

I recommend reading about the runaway slave law in New York in 1850. You'll see why some people think it's unfair because it allows a woman's statement to be enough for conviction, without any evidence, if she reports it and confirms it in court.

I got accused of punching a woman who didn't even have a scratch on her, but they hauled me into court anyway. The prosecutor had the nerve to try and strong-arm me into taking a lesser sentence with a guilty plea. Every witness – cops, doctors, experts – testified that she wasn't harmed, yet they still dragged me through the trial. Thankfully, I didn't get convicted because the fake victim chickened out when I told her that her false claim could land her 10 years behind bars. This whole legal mess is a downright abomination!
Certainly, I comprehend the concern that several gender-related laws may exhibit discriminatory elements against men and be susceptible to misuse. However, my apprehension lies in the prospect of Mr. Milei potentially advocating for the elimination of safeguards that extend to individuals outside the majority or those not aligned with his political party. The delicate balance of preserving rights and rectifying potential abuses warrants a nuanced approach.

Private NGO agency can't efficient respond with efficiency when someone harass or make your life hell because your age, race or skin color. Only government agency can help and force issue. INADI not just anti racism fake agency. It do a lot of good for all the people. But they make some mistake with the anti fat campaign for all the people laugh at it.

Private NGO agency can't efficient respond with efficiency when someone harass or make your life hell because your age, race or skin color. Only government agency can help and force issue. INADI not just anti racism fake agency. It do a lot of good for all the people. But they make some mistake with the anti fat campaign for all the people laugh at it.
Well, here's the total proof that there are way too many folks over there just perfecting the art of sitting on their derrieres, twiddling their thumbs, and basically mastering the skill of doing absolutely zilch throughout the day! It's like a masterclass in the fine art of inertia.

But, you see, INADI can't actually handle cases like stalking or harassment. It's the police and the justice system that step in for that. INADI mainly assists victims in navigating the justice and security services, kind of like a Citizens Advice Bureau. It also collects statistics, much like any regular NGO. Just to be clear, it's not a police force or a prosecutor's office. Those already have specialized branches for women's and gender-based safety and security issues, by the way.

But, you see, INADI can't actually handle cases like stalking or harassment. It's the police and the justice system that step in for that. INADI mainly assists victims in navigating the justice and security services, kind of like a Citizens Advice Bureau. It also collects statistics, much like any regular NGO. Just to be clear, it's not a police force or a prosecutor's office. Those already have specialized branches for women's and gender-based safety and security issues, by the way.
To make matters worse, the head of the agency didn't exactly boost its credibility. Turns out, she treated her domestic employee like a modern-day slave, paying a laughable "salary" under the table. When she decided to legitimize the work arrangement, she conveniently offered the poor employee a job at INADI. Talk about corruption at its finest.

they hauled me into court anyway.
i was a cop in 2 states recently and there is a mandatory arrest law for Domestic Violence suspicions; usually the woman remains in the house, and the man is taken to jail for the night, if there is ANY piece of evidence that she is injured or the man was the 'primary aggressor' - we waste so much time and money incentivizing crazy females to cut/bruise/scratch themselves. best thing to do now is to not live with a crazy, but if you're stuck with one, film her every manic episode, and do so while getting yourself out of the house.

i saw a twitter meme last week about "BELIEVE ALL WOMEN" captioned on a screenshot of the To Kill A Mockingbird film, and it was pretty insightful. that type of nuance would go over the heads of simpletons like Avocado who live a very sheltered life of 'Rival Politician Evil; My Team on the Side of Angels' though

Having regular people decide someone's fate seems strange
are you new to justice systems in the post-Enlightenment era? if this was sarcasm, you forgot the /s and it was written very poorly. the alternative to Jury Trials, where the State must prove BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT (this is a 99.5% certainty, not even a 90% certainty will do) is for a single person (who can be bribed or threatened easily) to decide one's fate, as @Bobbie Burgers mentioned.

folks who can't even come up with a good excuse to get out of jury duty. Hilarious, right? Like, "Hey, let's entrust our lives to the geniuses who couldn't dodge serving on a jury!" Classic move, isn't it?
another moronic comment by HowardStern. i heard this same trope when i was a cop. the police unions hate jury trials, because they most often reject the State's claims of criminality. cops at trial hate jurors because they are citizens who need to be convinced that everything the cop and prosecution did/are doing was legal and ethical. i had the pleasure of sitting for a full DUI trial in Arizona in my pre-cop days, and i never understood this idiotic statement. i wasn't too unintelligent to 'get out' of my duty, instead i was excited to learn how the justice system works. guess who had a lot more knowledge going into a 6-month police academy...me, or the simpletons like you who repeated the trite phrase? additionally, serving as a Juror is a civic duty that should be relished rather than met with digust. i was the reason a female didn't go to 1 year of jail for a DUI; because i stood my ground and argued against a couple dumbasses like you who thought just because the cops arrested her, meant she was obviously guilty. there was much more evidence that she was NOT impaired, and the State had actually violated her rights and "lost" blood tests and breath tests. your statement is both stupid and insulting for those who enjoy living in a civilized world where the honor of being a Juror has existed since the Greek Golden Era in Athens. but of course you have no clue of any of this, and you'll continue spouting stupid lines about 'too dumb to get a jury waiver'

collective hate-mongering
but then you take away the only identifiable part of Peronism and its Totaltarian-Fascism roots - the State is good, and anyone opposed to it is evil. the Manichean worldview is the only thing that low-verbal-intelligence zealots have, to protect them from realizing that life is actually pretty nuanced, and things aren't all just the false dichotomy of good/evil. there's starting to be more research that low verbal intelligence suggests more Left-leaning political stances: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0160289614000373

anything this Woke department used to do can be solved cheaper and more efficiently by NGOs, churches, private organizations/clubs/charities, etc.

if the government was doing so well before Milei, why were there so many crimes against women and homeless/hungry people in Buenos Aires the day before Milei took office?? it's almost like the government wasn't helping anyone, and these special projects were just money-laundering schemes to funnel money to donors and special-interest groups. but luckily for our 3 local Peronists who perpetually post on this Expat forum, Milei's cabinet is in charge now, so life can go back to the simple good-vs-evil struggle of "Peluca bad, everything his fault!"

MDS is real (Milei Derangement Syndrome)

Back