Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Visas Work visa with a record??? HELP

BorgesNil

Hello everyone. I'm a newcomer to the forum and seeking assistance with a recent dilemma.

I've been employed by a US corporation for several years since completing college. During this time, I've made several trips to Argentina to assist our sister company based in Buenos Aires. Argentina has been a delightful experience, and I've developed a strong affection for Buenos Aires. Recently, the CEO in Argentina proposed that I relocate here for two years for work, and I enthusiastically accepted. Currently, we're in the midst of contract negotiations, and we've just begun exploring the process of obtaining a work visa. During my initial research, I discovered the requirement to submit a "lack of criminal record" from the FBI, leading to my current dilemma.

I have several misdemeanors on my record from over five years ago when I was 18/19. To be straightforward, I was young, made some poor choices, but thankfully, I turned my life around. However, I now face the risk of missing out on this incredible opportunity to live in Argentina.

Firstly, I need information on immigration policies regarding this matter. Is there a possibility that my visa application will be denied due to my past record, or do I stand a chance?

Secondly, my company is unaware of my record, and I prefer to keep it that way since they never inquired. They will be using a third party to facilitate the visa process, but I know I need to personally obtain the FBI record. Is there any way to keep this information confidential by sending the documents directly to the Argentinean government?

I'm currently in Buenos Aires for a few weeks, and now that I've become aware of this situation, I'm feeling quite stressed. Any assistance or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Definitely this will show up on your FBI report. I had a client a few years ago in a similar situation as you are. He had a few things on his report when he was in his early 20's including assault from a fight that he got in. I think he had a minor drug possession as well. (I don't know the full story as I only have his side of the story)

He was working with a bigger multi-national company and he wanted to transfer to Argentina so he put in for it. Then he found out about the FBI report requirement. Long story short....he didn't get approved for his Visa. Argentina rejected it due to these things on the FBI report. And the worst thing is his company found out about his past.

So I'd say you have to weigh the pros/cons of this.

I have heard from friends on both sides that had things come up from their youth and others say simple things didn't come up. To be honest I am not sure which is true. I had to do the criminal background check and as you can read from some of the posts that they are very strict. Look at @Jakoval's recent post about them wanting him to send another one more specific even though he already sent one! They wanted better wording that NO arrests I think I recall.

FBI record should be very extensive. Computers should pick up any arrests. Argentina is very strict in this regard. Same for buying property and wiring in money. I heard they are strict.

Back