Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Why do people in BA wait for hours and waste so much time to have their eyes scanned?

Oh I thought this old post was a joke but it sounds like it is real. It sounds like this is why they are waiting and they are getting paid some crypto.

People in Argentina are desperate, literally selling all their biometric data for a few pesos...it's sad really!
The sad fact is the government forces it's citizens to give their biometric data. Most governments (including Argentina) already have their citizens biometric data.

I have heard that they pay u$180 for the iris scan, but I have also read that it is in exchange for cryptocurrencies.

This was in Belgrano:

Does anyone know if you can participate and sell your scan if you're not Argentine? Can I participate in this?

Wow they are really doing this. I posted about this a few months ago. People told me it was not happening but good to see it finally happening. Sign me up!

I guess in the grand scheme of things many of these people are desperate and as the article mentioned, people say what do they have to lose? They have nothing anyone can steal as they have nothing. Very sad.

Apparently, it's still active here, with the CEO of Worldcoin even being in Argentina and having met with Milei's advisors.

What is the intention of Worldcoin?

" it seeks to establish itself in countries whose populations have high levels of unsatisfied basic needs and it is easier to seduce large numbers of people willing to hand over their biometric data in exchange for a handful of cryptocurrencies".

Milei don't care what happens to Argentine citizens. He wants people to be able to sell their own organs if they want. The guy is heartless.

What are the possible downsides for those of you complaining this is a negative? I'm not sure I understand what negative consequences could happen to these people?

Indeed, it's a practice that's prohibited in nearly all countries, yet it's still in effect here. Quite intriguing.

Back