Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Which Neighbourhood/area is best for a GAY couple on the first time visitors?

Gary

Hello! We are currently in the early stages of planning a week-long trip to Buenos Aires in August (I know it's quite a while away). This will be our first time in BA, and we're eager to find accommodation in an area that serves as a central hub for various attractions. Our ideal location would be in proximity to tourist hotspots, as well as vibrant dining establishments, bars, and shopping districts. As a young gay couple, we also plan to explore the local gay scene and visit some of the gay clubs, which, from our research, seem to be concentrated in the San Telmo area.

While San Telmo appears to be a hub for gay nightlife, we're curious to know if it's a recommended area for accommodation as well. Are there other neighborhoods that might offer a more convenient or diverse experience? We value any insights or recommendations regarding gay-friendly places, bars, or clubs that we should consider while planning our stay in Buenos Aires. Any additional tips on the overall travel experience in the city would also be greatly appreciated!

Hello! We are currently in the early stages of planning a week-long trip to Buenos Aires in August (I know it's quite a while away). This will be our first time in BA, and we're eager to find accommodation in an area that serves as a central hub for various attractions. Our ideal location would be in proximity to tourist hotspots, as well as vibrant dining establishments, bars, and shopping districts. As a young gay couple, we also plan to explore the local gay scene and visit some of the gay clubs, which, from our research, seem to be concentrated in the San Telmo area.

While San Telmo appears to be a hub for gay nightlife, we're curious to know if it's a recommended area for accommodation as well. Are there other neighborhoods that might offer a more convenient or diverse experience? We value any insights or recommendations regarding gay-friendly places, bars, or clubs that we should consider while planning our stay in Buenos Aires. Any additional tips on the overall travel experience in the city would also be greatly appreciated!
I would say that you can read the link that has a GREAT article and information. I know that San Telmo has a lot of gay night life but I probably wouldn't recommend staying in that area for your first time. It's kind of sketchy at night in some areas. The BEST neighborhood for a long term stay is Recoleta. Palermo is also nice. I much prefer Recoleta or Palermo vs. San Telmo.

I can't speak to any places for gay males but you can probably Google and hopefully people post some of their real life experiences - https://nomadicboys.com/gay-guide-buenos-aires/

One word of caution, just be careful. I used to own the largest property management company in South America. It was called ApartmentsBA. We were purchased by Luxury Retreats and then Airbnb bought them in 2017.

We had a few occasions where our gay clients were robbed. They brought a stranger to their apartment and then were drugged and then robbed of all their stuff. So you have to be really careful and practice common sense. I think the guy that this happened to was a bit of a moron as he managed to get drugged and robbed twice during his stay.

You know what they say. Fool me once she on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!

I would say that you can read the link that has a GREAT article and information. I know that San Telmo has a lot of gay night life but I probably wouldn't recommend staying in that area for your first time. It's kind of sketchy at night in some areas. The BEST neighborhood for a long term stay is Recoleta. Palermo is also nice. I much prefer Recoleta or Palermo vs. San Telmo.

I can't speak to any places for gay males but you can probably Google and hopefully people post some of their real life experiences - https://nomadicboys.com/gay-guide-buenos-aires/

One word of caution, just be careful. I used to own the largest property management company in South America. It was called ApartmentsBA. We were purchased by Luxury Retreats and then Airbnb bought them in 2017.

We had a few occasions where our gay clients were robbed. They brought a stranger to their apartment and then were drugged and then robbed of all their stuff. So you have to be really careful and practice common sense. I think the guy that this happened to was a bit of a moron as he managed to get drugged and robbed twice during his stay.

You know what they say. Fool me once she on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!
Yikes! That is interesting about the gay guys getting drugged. How did you know? Did the client tell you about it? That would be very embarrassing to have to admit that not once but twice! That pretty much tells you how dumb some tourists are. What did you say to the client???

Yikes! That is interesting about the gay guys getting drugged. How did you know? Did the client tell you about it? That would be very embarrassing to have to admit that not once but twice! That pretty much tells you how dumb some tourists are. What did you say to the client???
We know because both times he called us! My company used to have a 24/7 concierge to help our guests. We were open 365 days a year. I don't do that any more but back then we did that. Fortunately almost no one ever needed to call but it seems like the gay males had their fair share of issues.

This client above was shameless. You would think after it happening once he would have been careful but some people are just dumb. This client was dumb. I never talked to him but my office staff told me about this. I think many guys just think with their little "head" and not their big head. Having managed hundreds of properties in Buenos Aires, we have pretty much seen it all.

Fortunately we've never had any males have any issues with females. I think females are less likely to drug a male or do something like this but the male gay clients were picking up guys at gay bars and bringing them home. My office told this guy if he was going to pick up strange males to just go to a Telo (short term sex hotel). But he did it twice.

Why did he call us? LOL. You will laugh but he was staying in an apartment where you needed a key to leave the building. So this guy got robbed and he couldn't even leave his own apartment that he rented! My office had to send someone over to open the door. Then we had to change the locks! Because the gay guy that robbed and drugged him had the keys. We used Panzer locks that no one can make a copy of it but we had to change the locks. It wasn't cheap. So after we changed the locks, 2 nights later the same thing happened! Not only did they take his money but they took his iPhone, laptop and a bunch of other stuff. If I recall correctly the guy even had an electric guitar he just bought and they took that too!

And once again, my office had to go and let him out as he couldn't leave the building as you need a key to leave the building. He had to pay for another lock change. We told him if it happened again to call the police and not us. Crazy crazy. I'm writing an autobiography and all of these crazy stories are in my book.

We know because both times he called us! My company used to have a 24/7 concierge to help our guests. We were open 365 days a year. I don't do that any more but back then we did that. Fortunately almost no one ever needed to call but it seems like the gay males had their fair share of issues.

This client above was shameless. You would think after it happening once he would have been careful but some people are just dumb. This client was dumb. I never talked to him but my office staff told me about this. I think many guys just think with their little "head" and not their big head. Having managed hundreds of properties in Buenos Aires, we have pretty much seen it all.

Fortunately we've never had any males have any issues with females. I think females are less likely to drug a male or do something like this but the male gay clients were picking up guys at gay bars and bringing them home. My office told this guy if he was going to pick up strange males to just go to a Telo (short term sex hotel). But he did it twice.

Why did he call us? LOL. You will laugh but he was staying in an apartment where you needed a key to leave the building. So this guy got robbed and he couldn't even leave his own apartment that he rented! My office had to send someone over to open the door. Then we had to change the locks! Because the gay guy that robbed and drugged him had the keys. We used Panzer locks that no one can make a copy of it but we had to change the locks. It wasn't cheap. So after we changed the locks, 2 nights later the same thing happened! Not only did they take his money but they took his iPhone, laptop and a bunch of other stuff. If I recall correctly the guy even had an electric guitar he just bought and they took that too!

And once again, my office had to go and let him out as he couldn't leave the building as you need a key to leave the building. He had to pay for another lock change. We told him if it happened again to call the police and not us. Crazy crazy. I'm writing an autobiography and all of these crazy stories are in my book.
Oh NO!!!

I was just getting excited for the gay scene here and you have to ruin the party for me and scare me. I guess I will be more careful. At this stage of my life, I'm not looking for a relationship. I just want a boy toy!

Oh NO!!!

I was just getting excited for the gay scene here and you have to ruin the party for me and scare me. I guess I will be more careful. At this stage of my life, I'm not looking for a relationship. I just want a boy toy!
I'm not saying not to have fun. I have a LOT of gay clients/investors and they always seem to manage to have fun. I don't ask about their escapades but they are always in Buenos Aires and tell me the nightlife is good. You should just practice good judgment like any other city in the world.

Oh NO!!!

You don't have to be nervous. You just have to take precautions. The gay scene here is fabulous!

Back