Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer What is your experience with your internet provider?

jackL

Hello everyone! I'm currently facing issues with my internet provider here in Almagro. I'm on a 300mb plan for $17k, but ever since summer started, I've been experiencing frequent microcuts or even complete outages. What's more frustrating is that they refuse to send a technician, citing it as a "technical issue in the area."

I've been exploring other options, and I've heard good things about Iplan, though it seems they're hiking their prices now. Claro offers competitive prices and supposedly reliable service. Movistar is a bit pricier but promises symmetric speeds, though I'm unsure about their reliability. On the other hand, I've heard negative feedback about Telecentro, particularly regarding their cancellation policies and installation fees.

I'd like to know how much you all are paying for your internet service, preferably if you're in the same area as me. Have you experienced many outages or noticed a recent price increase? I'm also considering negotiating a discount with my current provider, Personal.

We've been with Personal/FibertelCabelvision or whatever the heck they're called nowadays for many years. Although we're in the Province we're not in Buenos Aires, we're out in the sticks.
I've noticed especially in recent months the service is not as reliable as it once was. My missus deals with them and negotiates a discount whenever there's an increase in cost so that's definitely worth doing. If they refused she would start looking at alternative providers.

Yes I am with Personal and typically in the summer months there are "outages" once in a while. I'm not sure if electricity in some areas is going out which affects the signal but the same thing happens to me during the summer. They also say there is nothing really they can do as it's not the hardware they said. They said known outages in the area.

Back