Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer This would really unleash chaos: train tickets priced at $2000

I wish Milei would prioritize these kinds of issues... It's sad to see Argentina like this, with strikes and protests every day because people can't make ends meet... Obviously, there are political issues at play, but the most important thing is always the people.

with strikes and protests every day because people can't make ends meet...
It is true that many people can't make ends meet but the protests/strikes are basically political. The opposition is determined to destabilize the government, no matter the cost to the people.

It is true that many people can't make ends meet but the protests/strikes are basically political. The opposition is determined to destabilize the government, no matter the cost to the people.
Protests are the only way for people to show their disapproval with governments.

I disagree that protests and strikes are always political. It is easy for you to say that as a fairly well off expat with USD savings. Try walking in the shoes of the local people and you would probably be singing a different tune. What else can they do?

I disagree that protests and strikes are always political. It is easy for you to say that as a fairly well off expat with USD savings. Try walking in the shoes of the local people and you would probably be singing a different tune. What else can they do?
I do agree that strikes are many times politically based but this time feels different as so many people are struggling and situation seems like it will get worse with utility prices going up. I have a bad feeling there will be more protests throughout this year. I hope I am wrong but people are desperate.

I completely agree with you. Sometimes I see opinions that are so cold and lacking in empathy for the people who are truly suffering from these economic changes... but at the same time, I understand that some protests are purely political, aimed at trying to destabilize the government.
I just hope everything gets better.

Saw this on PBS just now.

And to think BA had one of the first in the world and it used to be the best. At least they are delaying another increase which is smart. But many of the poorest commute long distances and they are getting hit the hardest.

Back