Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Stolen phone on Subte

DanielTu

I thought I'd share this experience to prevent someone else from falling victim to a scam. Despite all my reading and preparedness, I still got caught by the "do you know what time it is scam?" I was caught off guard because I'm juggling between languages, and I didn't realize he was speaking English until later. I checked my Blackberry for the time and answered him. I even put the Blackberry in another pocket to keep it safe. However, someone managed to take it from my pocket without me hearing the Velcro. The lesson here is that by answering, I inadvertently revealed that I had a Blackberry and that I was not from Argentina. Moreover, I disclosed where it was when I put it away. Just a reminder to be cautious out there; they are on the lookout even when you least expect it.

Sorry you lost your Blackberry - not only for the cost of replacing it, but also for the loss of the personal stuff stored in it.

But people, please keep in mind that it takes the average Porteño a month's salary to buy a Blackberry or an iPhone locally.

Using those in the subway is like dangling filet mignon in front of a starving tiger.

Funny true story... I was with an American client in my office a few weeks ago and he was telling me how he took the Subway now that taxi prices were increasing. Me personally I've never taken a subway in 7 years of living in Buenos Aires. I find taxis too darn convenient and quick so I've never taken a subway before in Buenos Aires and probably never will.

I warned him that he should be careful as several people I know have reported getting mugged in the Subway. My client is a pretty big guy and said that no way they would rob him. Long story short....a few days later he told me his Iphone got stolen in the Subway....

These thieves here are VERY good....Check out some of these videos to see just how good they are.

http://207.7.131.231/search/punguistas/1

Funny true story... I was with an American client in my office a few weeks ago and he was telling me how he took the Subway now that taxi prices were increasing. Me personally I've never taken a subway in 7 years of living in Buenos Aires. I find taxis too darn convenient and quick so I've never taken a subway before in Buenos Aires and probably never will.

I warned him that he should be careful as several people I know have reported getting mugged in the Subway. My client is a pretty big guy and said that no way they would rob him. Long story short....a few days later he told me his Iphone got stolen in the Subway....

These thieves here are VERY good....Check out some of these videos to see just how good they are.

http://207.7.131.231/search/punguistas/1
Really? Wow, as a commuter I can say that without even considering money, the subway is 100x more convenient than ANY above ground method of transportation at rush hour.

Really? Wow, as a commuter I can say that without even considering money, the subway is 100x more convenient than ANY above ground method of transportation at rush hour.
Yeah, I know it sounds strange. Especially because when I'm in cities like Paris, New York and London I use the subway quite a bit but I don't really find it convenient as I live in Recoleta and my office is also in Recoleta and there isn't a metro station nearby. There is always a taxi in the street on almost every corner so for me it just comes down to time savings. I don't really care about the difference in costs as the time savings is worth more. Also, while I'm in taxis I can still work on my Ipad, blackberry, Iphone...I wouldn't do that in the subway so it's just much more productive for me.

I lived in Buenos Aires a while and a bunch of my local friends got robbed on the Subway but most were not paying attention. I'm not sure if the thieves are still doing this today. They used to work in teams. One time I went and saw it playing out. One girl drank something from a cup. Then the girl fake vomited all over near a group of friends. All of them were getting out of the way and grossed out. Then another male robbed a wallet that was in the pocket of one of the males. And a female took an iPhone out of the pocket of another girl.

But they were all distracted with the fake vomit scam.

I lived in Buenos Aires a while and a bunch of my local friends got robbed on the Subway but most were not paying attention. I'm not sure if the thieves are still doing this today. They used to work in teams. One time I went and saw it playing out. One girl drank something from a cup. Then the girl fake vomited all over near a group of friends. All of them were getting out of the way and grossed out. Then another male robbed a wallet that was in the pocket of one of the males. And a female took an iPhone out of the pocket of another girl.

But they were all distracted with the fake vomit scam.
Yes, this is common. My novia said she has gotten her phone stolen on the subway before. Even being really careful sometimes people let their guard down. It was interesting as I asked her if she reported it to the police and she laughed. She said no one does so the crime statistics aren't accurate here.

Back