Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Of maids and supermarkets.

Sunny

In another thread several members commented about having their maids do all the shopping mainly to save time and because supermarkets here can be a pain.

Are we talking about live-in maids who also cook for you? How much are you paying your maids?

As I've said in another thread, I like to buy my own food. I'm picky, that's why I only buy produce at "autoservicios" because they allow you to pick your own produce or at supermarkets (most verduleros will keep you waiting outside while they choose what to sell you, I really don't like that).

Unlike in the States, where one can shop almost at all hours and find super fresh food, here you have to go before 10:00 AM to get the freshest and nicest looking produce because, even though water sprayers have been around for at least 20 years in the States, I have not seen a verdulería or supermarket in CABA that uses water sprayers. Something so simple and easy to install... Around 3:00 PM a bunch of basil already looks ready to be tossed in the trash.

Something about maids: My building's portero was telling me about robberies that happened in our neighborhood a while ago. He spoke about thieves doing some very acrobatic moves to get to higher floor flats, stealing money, gold, gems. When I asked how they knew who to target he said it was the maids, in every single case.

In another thread several members commented about having their maids do all the shopping mainly to save time and because supermarkets here can be a pain.

Are we talking about live-in maids who also cook for you? How much are you paying your maids?

As I've said in another thread, I like to buy my own food. I'm picky, that's why I only buy produce at "autoservicios" because they allow you to pick your own produce or at supermarkets (most verduleros will keep you waiting outside while they choose what to sell you, I really don't like that).

Unlike in the States, where one can shop almost at all hours and find super fresh food, here you have to go before 10:00 AM to get the freshest and nicest looking produce because, even though water sprayers have been around for at least 20 years in the States, I have not seen a verdulería or supermarket in CABA that uses water sprayers. Something so simple and easy to install... Around 3:00 PM a bunch of basil already looks ready to be tossed in the trash.

Something about maids: My building's portero was telling me about robberies that happened in our neighborhood a while ago. He spoke about thieves doing some very acrobatic moves to get to higher floor flats, stealing money, gold, gems. When I asked how they knew who to target he said it was the maids, in every single case.
I don’t have a live in. I pay my maid 3500 pesos per hour to clean my apartment. She also will cook meals if I want. I have her come 3 times a week. She also will do my laundry.

I sure do miss the supermarkets back home. I buy my own groceries.

I have a maid that comes twice a week. I pay her 3,000 pesos per hour plus bus fare to/from her place and she lives in Quilmes. Sometimes she will go to the supermarket for me as well as the verduleros. She knows what I like. True about having to go in the morning to get the freshest choices. The quality control and choices are much better in the States and also Europe.

A maid that has been hired for a long time typically will know where all your safes are, what you have if you wear jewelry and if you have valuables. When I moved to Buenos Aires I got rid of all expensive jewelry as there is no need for it here. My sister bought all my nice watches and rings. You have to be careful.

Here in the USA, my wife does all the shopping and we wouldn't dream about asking the maid. For a while we had a maid that came 5 days a week but that just got too expensive. Now we have one that comes 3 X a week. She does the cooking and the cleaning. Where I live it's very expensive to clean a big house so what we pay in a week we more than pay the month in Buenos Aires. The average hourly rate is about $30 USD per hour which sounds crazy but fast food workers here make $20/hour flipping hamburgers.

When I lived full time in Buenos Aires, I didn't have a live in as I really never got the appeal of living with a stranger in my place. But she did come every day and worked full-time. She came at 8 AM and would leave at 4 PM or 5 PM. She would do all the cleaning, cooked dinner each month unless I had a meeting, got all the groceries. Salaries were much higher back then. I think I would paying her back then about $800 US per month. These days I just get a maid to clean when I'm in town and I pay 4,500 pesos per hour. I was paying 3,000 pesos but she just asked for a raise not too long ago due to the high inflation.

I certainly miss all these great grocery stores and supermarkets here in the USA, especially stores like Whole Foods which has amazingly fresh organic fruit and veggies that you can go at any hour of the day or not.

I think mostly expats don't have live in maid where my local friends have love in maids even if they have small apartments. I pay 3,000 pesos per hour. She comes a few times a week for about 4 or 5 hours a day. She cooks and cleans and laundry. Sometimes she will go and pay bills that I can't pay online. I avoid anything of value at home with the exception of some cash and she knows where my safe is.

I pay mine 3,000 pesos an hour but she just asked me for a raise so I will raise it. I need to think about how much as I want it to be good enough to last a while. I hate raising it so frequently. But I understand the struggles locals are going through. But all my posts have skyrocketed the past few months.

I pay mine 3,000 pesos an hour but she just asked me for a raise so I will raise it. I need to think about how much as I want it to be good enough to last a while. I hate raising it so frequently. But I understand the struggles locals are going through. But all my posts have skyrocketed the past few months.
For what its worth inflation will be around 10% this month / we increase in line with inflation.

Back in October, the Airbnb we were renting in Caballito was paying 1,500/hr to the maid who came every two weeks for 4 hours, cleaning only. I asked her how much she would charge me, she said 1,000.

When we were in Recoleta, one block from the Alvear Palace Hotel, the maid charged 2,000/hr, in December, for cleaning only. She worked for the family who owns that Airbnb.

In the Barrio Chino area, the rate in Jan and Feb was 3,000/hr for cleaning only, that maid worked for other tenants in that building and that's what she charged them as well.

An expat I met, who lives in Chacarita in a small apartment (one bedroom, I think), paid this month 2,000/hr. The maid does the cleaning once a week for 3 hours, no ironing/cooking/shopping.

I am doing my own cleaning now, in our own flat. We are very organized neat freaks who don't wear shoes indoors and have no pets so maintenance is easy, but we'll need a maid for the heavy duty cleaning, once a month. I'll let you know how much they charge when I find one.

Back in October, the Airbnb we were renting in Caballito was paying 1,500/hr to the maid who came every two weeks for 4 hours, cleaning only. I asked her how much she would charge me, she said 1,000.

When we were in Recoleta, one block from the Alvear Palace Hotel, the maid charged 2,000/hr, in December, for cleaning only. She worked for the family who owns that Airbnb.

In the Barrio Chino area, the rate in Jan and Feb was 3,000/hr for cleaning only, that maid worked for other tenants in that building and that's what she charged them as well.

An expat I met, who lives in Chacarita in a small apartment (one bedroom, I think), paid this month 2,000/hr. The maid does the cleaning once a week for 3 hours, no ironing/cooking/shopping.

I am doing my own cleaning now, in our own flat. We are very organized neat freaks who don't wear shoes indoors and have no pets so maintenance is easy, but we'll need a maid for the heavy duty cleaning, once a month. I'll let you know how much they charge when I find one.
The rates have gone up quite a bit since October. Mine has asked for a raise twice since then. Most decent people have given significant raises since October or at least they should have. Inflation here is a factor and salaries will have to keep going up. I would think that 3,000 pesos per hour would be the norm right now and that will probably go up as well. I think if you don't raise to living wages then you will have incidents where maids are stealing to survive.

@Sunny you're prices are in line with what is happening in just a short amount of time. True wage inflation has to happen here with the cost of goods going up so much. I was at 3,000 pesos for cleaning only but just bumped her up to 4500 pesos per hour. That is probably generous compared to some but I do think you have to have a wage that people can support themselves on. It is great to read of real life examples of what others are paying their maids. This kind of information is always helpful.

The rates have gone up quite a bit since October. Mine has asked for a raise twice since then. Most decent people have given significant raises since October or at least they should have. Inflation here is a factor and salaries will have to keep going up. I would think that 3,000 pesos per hour would be the norm right now and that will probably go up as well. I think if you don't raise to living wages then you will have incidents where maids are stealing to survive.
This is correct and I agree. Still, there has to be a balance to the "living wage". I live here in Southern California when I am not in Buenos Aires and they have a new minimum wage at fast food places here. It's $20 USD per hour and it is too much of an extreme. That has caused all wages to go up on everything. After all, who wants to work anything else when they can make $20 dollars an hour flipping burgers. This is going to cause all the restaurants to automate and get rid of employees. I am already seeing it in many restaurants where there are almost no employees now and it's all touch screens.

I live here in Southern California when I am not in Buenos Aires and they have a new minimum wage at fast food places here. It's $20 USD per hour and it is too much of an extreme.
That's cheap! I lived in OC and two years ago I was paying $100 for six hours of (shoddy) work and she once told me that she wasn't going to clean the shower area of my bathrooms because after my house she had another client and did not want to get there fatigued. WTH?! We must've been the neatest clients she had, for crying out loud, we even use a squeegee after showering.

That's cheap! I lived in OC and two years ago I was paying $100 for six hours of (shoddy) work and she once told me that she wasn't going to clean the shower area of my bathrooms because after my house she had another client and did not want to get there fatigued. WTH?! We must've been the neatest clients she had, for crying out loud, we even use a squeegee after showering.
No we pay $250 dollars for each maid cleaning each day. We do have a big house but it's crazy expensive.

You mean they are working 12 hours to clean your house everyday they go? It must be a very large house. Ours was 3,600 sf and six hours was plenty to clean inside and the patios, I took care of the gardens.
No the maids in San Diego charge around $250 for a big house. She comes at 8 AM and leaves around 5 PM. The $20 USD per hour figure I was talking about is simply at fast food places like McDonalds. Maids are actually making more than fast food.

Ah! 250 for 9 hours, yes, it seems excessive, particularly when they have all sorts of tools to make their job easier. The maids here earn very little and have to work harder. The manager of one of the Airbnbs had one vacuum cleaner for the five units he managed and the maid had to walk it from one building to another, several blocks apart.

Ah! 250 for 9 hours, yes, it seems excessive, particularly when they have all sorts of tools to make their job easier. The maids here earn very little and have to work harder. The manager of one of the Airbnbs had one vacuum cleaner for the five units he managed and the maid had to walk it from one building to another, several blocks apart.
I totally agree with you. But it's honestly been really tough after COVID to find dependable maids here. You would think being so close to Mexico there would be tons of maids but it's not that easy to find someone dependable that will show up on time each week. We had a great maid for 7 years and were paying around $`150 dollars for each cleaning but during COVID she just became a flake. Would always call in sick.

My wife is a neat freak and very particular with maids. She will only work with someone that is a referral from someone she knows and trusts. You can get a slight discount if you go pick them up from the bus station but we don't want to hassle with that. I'm not sure when the last time you were here @Sunny in Southern California but prices here keep going up.

The cost of living in Southern California has gotten crazy. It IS a wonderful place to raise kids and the weather doesn't get much better but no way I would pay now what real estate is going for. I was fortunate enough to buy here at the bottom in 2011. Once we kids are through high school I plan to move back down to Buenos Aires.

I know. I left two years ago when there was no inventory and houses would sell in 15 minutes, cash. We benefitted from that, but what a terrible time for buyers. I suspect the situation hasn't improved.
Prices have gone much higher than 2 years ago. Yes houses in my area sell out very quickly. No inventory. We have people from the Bay Area sending unsolicited letters each week to purchase.

My neighbor did a pocket listing and sold her house the next day after showing it. Never had to even list it. Sold cash for asking price.

Back