Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

HarryLux

Does anyone have acquaintances with an economics background in Argentina or who are familiar with the country's economic landscape? Additionally, has anyone engaged in blue market trading, where they exchanged USD for pesos through informal channels like meeting someone on Florida Street? I'm currently working on a radio piece about the blue market exchange, and I'm interested in gathering stories or insights from those who have experience in this area. Your input is highly appreciated. Thank you!

Does anybody red/know estimates about the total market for the blue dollar?

If I look at what's happening in calle Florida, it can't be a big market

Does anybody red/know estimates about the total market for the blue dollar?

If I look at what's happening in calle Florida, it can't be a big market
I'd be leery with giving out a stranger your contact information about changing money.

Forget about thinking that any sizable volume happens on calle Florida. There are many financial offices where the volume of the exchanging is done. Most middle to upper middle class locals have a "guy they know" that exchanges funds for them.

The big firms that operate that deal with currency are very well run and been around for a long time. They have a very large base of clients including politicians. THAT is where the vast majority of the volume is. Not in the street.

Is this a paying job...?? I guess must be in the thousands xpats go through the cuevas XP . When I walk by an ATM I get a feeling of relief...! Should add a reality Show on the Buquebus crossing to obtain the Dollars.

Back