Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Job or employment market in Buenos Aires, Argentina for an expat or someone moving to BA?

Uncle Wong

I am thinking about moving to Buenos Aires. I am fluent in Spanish but I wouldn't even think about trying to survive in Buenos Aires without having my remote job in the USA. I live on the East Coast and the time difference is very minor. I would most likely buy a place as I don't want to hassle with renting or moving around and also real estate prices seem like they have fallen quite a bit. If I leave, I will easily be able to rent it out based on the Airbnb's I have stayed in. I have had to move around as the good ones are mostly all full.

Most of them aren't that nice or look nice on the photos but aren't too nicely furnished. I haven't found a comfortable mattress yet. So I would set up my place nicely if I had to go to the USA I figured I can rent it out.

I met a few expats the last few weeks and many love BA like I do and want to move here. When I ask them if they have a remote job they say they don't. I am just curious if there are expats here that don't make money abroad in US dollars or foreign currency? How do you do it? Others have pensions or social security but what does everyone do?

So, get this! I hop into a cab a few weeks back, and guess what? The driver doubles as an emergency room physician! Yeah, you heard it right. Apparently, he rakes in more cash behind the wheel than at the hospital – claiming he pulls in around 4,000 pesos an hour in the ER. But, hold on, when he's taxiing folks around, he's hitting the jackpot with a cool 6,000 pesos (not sure if that was before expenses of gas, etc) . And guess what? He's still juggling both gigs most days. Talk about a tough job market, huh? It's like, unless you've got some crazy super skills, you're stuck in the job jungle!

I met several expats that have jobs in the USA or have a job where they aren't working for a local company. Or one of my friends is an accountant and she is a local but she works for a European company. She gets paid in US dollars. She has a very good job and has 2 degrees and makes about $1,800 USD per month which is very good for a local. She has to pay her own monitrubuto taxes. The European does NOT have any local entity. They just signed a contract employee deal. You will find that many people do NOT want to have an Argentine entity. Doesn't make sense before but might with Milei. I'm not sure.

You can go on LinkedIn and see some people looking for remote jobs but don't expect to make anything decent for local jobs. I have lawyer friends working for peanuts now. Your only option is to find a remote job that pays in USD or Euros.

Depends on your profession. One of my many novias family's work with self-employed individuals like carpenters, painters, plumbers, and gardeners who offer quality services at reasonable prices.

I asked her how they find these people. She said they have to invest time in advertising by placing business cards in local building suppliers' shops and condo reception areas in the northern Buenos Aires area, including Pilar, Maschwitz, Escobar, Campana, etc. and go all over CABA to get work. They don't make too much though.

Great post. I totally agree. I made the mistake of going down there and thinking I could make more money. I'm 50% Mexican and speak fluent English. I am a Registered Nurse and was making over $100,000 USD in the USA. I thought maybe I could go down to BA and make 50% of that but it wasn't even close! There are doctors here that aren't even making that.

I tried private gigs but no one is willing to pay anything. No one there makes much so no one needs to pay much. My mom talked some sense into me and said if I stayed there, I'd be old and wouldn't have anything to show for it. She told me to go back down once I built up a nest egg and pay for a place down there. I am glad I listened. Seems like it's getting very expensive now. I just moved back a few weeks ago and I already had a job lined up. Everyone is looking for nurses in the USA as there is a shortage in most towns.

Back