Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Is it normal for a property owner to insist on buyers to pay with CASH $100 US Dollar bills for an apartment purchase in Buenos Aires?

I saw this news today. Milei is saying he doesn't care if people send money in blue. Does anyone know if this applies with anything including real estate?

Short answer is no one knows. However, I don't think Argentina ever really cared about people exchanging on the black-blue market. People have been doing that for as long as I can remember. I never heard of anyone getting into problems doing that. I don't know about real estate.

I saw this news today. Milei is saying he doesn't care if people send money in blue. Does anyone know if this applies with anything including real estate?

Hey said that the dollar blue is NOT illegal because is the only way for people to avoid 'cepo cambiario'. He also said that he doesn't care if people have undeclared savings worth 50K, 500K or 5 million US$. He wants people to use them to re-activate the economy.

Short answer is no one knows. However, I don't think Argentina ever really cared about people exchanging on the black-blue market. People have been doing that for as long as I can remember. I never heard of anyone getting into problems doing that. I don't know about real estate.
Previous goverment's tax agents used to go to micro-centro and close some 'cuevas'. Yesterday the president said that the Blue dollar is not illegal. There's a big change happening in Argentina, it may be hard to see now, but it is happening.

Hey said that the dollar blue is NOT illegal because is the only way for people to avoid 'cepo cambiario'. He also said that he doesn't care if people have undeclared savings worth 50K, 500K or 5 million US$. He wants people to use them to re-activate the economy.
Previous goverment's tax agents used to go to micro-centro and close some 'cuevas'. Yesterday the president said that the Blue dollar is not illegal. There's a big change happening in Argentina, it may be hard to see now, but it is happening.
I think the whole dog and pony show was just for appearances. But I agree President Milei will make it much easier on transactions. I would expect by the end of this year it will be very easy to send in funds for all sorts of purchases. There will always be a need for cuevas because people here won't fully trust the bank but hopefully this all changes and fees go down. Many locals use cuevas because they don't want the government knowing how much they have outside of Argentina. This will probably always be the case no matter which President is in office.

Back