Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Good news. Looks like mortgages are starting again in Buenos Aires to buy real estate

I also saw this. This will be a big positive for higher level professionals. My neighbor who are both attorneys are planning on taking advantage of this to buy another property. They already own one property but are buying an investment property. The last time they did this, prices did go up.

I also read about the new credit for housing market which sounds fantastic. I read this blog which is great. He also says real estate prices will go up. Construction costs are very high now.

UVA based loans and mortgages are potentially very dangerous for the consumer.

Repayments are not only dependent on interest rates but also on the rate of inflation.

I would never recommend these loans to anyone
I don't know anything about the UVA based. I guess you make a good point but do you consider the point of them extending credit a step in the right direction @GlasgowJohn?

Extending credit is the way to go but with high-interest rates and high inflation rates, I am not sure how many will take the loan offer up.

The guys who qualify for the loan because of salary, in many cases already have cash - so I am not too sure how any new buyers will be brought into the market.

Extending credit is the way to go but with high-interest rates and high inflation rates, I am not sure how many will take the loan offer up.

The guys who qualify for the loan because of salary, in many cases already have cash - so I am not too sure how any new buyers will be brought into the market.
It mostly true. People that take these loans already have lot of cash. Banks are no giving loans to middle class people. Only people that have high paying job and already have $$$$. This probably only publicity for banks to get new customers.

Repayments are not only dependent on interest rates but also on the rate of inflation.

Yes, while I think it is a positive that banks are starting to offer mortgages, people need to really understand these products. It's not like the USA where people know what they will have to pay back over 20-30 years. Still, people here only shot at buying are probably going to be these products.

More and more banks are offering them now.

Yes, while I think it is a positive that banks are starting to offer mortgages, people need to really understand these products. It's not like the USA where people know what they will have to pay back over 20-30 years. Still, people here only shot at buying are probably going to be these products.

More and more banks are offering them now.

From what I am reading the banks lost money on some of these products in the past?

Demand sounds like it's through the roof on people inquiring about the mortgages. Banco Ciudad alone got over 11,000 applications in only a few weeks and more and more banks are going to offer them.

“People are very anxious, inquiries overflowed our communication channels and we are overwhelmed,” Daniel Tillard, president of Banco Nacion, the country’s largest state-owned lender, said in an interview. The bank announced it will disburse some $4 billion of mortgages over the next four years to 40,000 potential home owners.

THIS ^^^^^

I don't think people really understand that if inflation doesn't stay down they can own a lot more than they think. Inflation is heading in the right direction but banks in Argentina haven't been known to be transparent and fully explain things to their clients. These types of UVA loans can be quite toxic.

Demand sounds like it's through the roof on people inquiring about the mortgages. Banco Ciudad alone got over 11,000 applications in only a few weeks and more and more banks are going to offer them.

“People are very anxious, inquiries overflowed our communication channels and we are overwhelmed,” Daniel Tillard, president of Banco Nacion, the country’s largest state-owned lender, said in an interview. The bank announced it will disburse some $4 billion of mortgages over the next four years to 40,000 potential home owners.

THIS ^^^^^

I don't think people really understand that if inflation doesn't stay down they can own a lot more than they think. Inflation is heading in the right direction but banks in Argentina haven't been known to be transparent and fully explain things to their clients. These types of UVA loans can be quite toxic.
Well there is NO alternative for most people buying. It's either this higher risk mortgage or nothing. Many I talk to say they are applying while they can. It will literally be the only way that many can afford to buy a place and people want to lock the ability in while they can.

Back