Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Newcomer Going to Live in Bariloche...any advice?

SaraLee

Hi there,

I've been in Buenos Aires for about a month now, having come from the US with my Argentinian husband and baby to visit family. In 10 days, we're heading to Bariloche, where my husband has a house. I've been there once before but only for a short stay of 4 or 5 days.

I'm reaching out to see if anyone has any advice about living in Bariloche. Are there specific things I should take with me that might be cheaper to get here in Buenos Aires? Additionally, I'm interested in connecting with other English-speaking people in the area, especially those with babies. If you have any insights or opinions about life in Bariloche, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks in advance for any information or tips you can share.

Some of my relatives have chosen to settle in Bariloche, primarily because their children absolutely adore the place. Despite living in various parts of Argentina, they keep returning to Bariloche, and this marks their third stint there. They've even built a permanent home and are there for the long haul.

I visited three weeks ago, and for me, Bariloche stands out as the most beautiful place on earth. I've traveled extensively, but nothing compares to the breathtaking scenery there. It seems like a perfect fit for families, though it is slightly on the expensive side compared to other parts of Argentina.

After spending 10 days there, you'll likely get a sense of whether Bariloche resonates with you and your family. Wishing you the best of luck!

I'm also a newcomer to Bariloche, having moved here from the U.S. just two weeks ago. Although I'm retired, I'm young at heart. I made the move on my own and am currently in the process of making new friends. It's a bit challenging, and I do feel a bit homesick at times.

Make sure to pack warm clothing. Even though spring has arrived, the nights can still be very cold, and we just experienced a chilly and windy week. You didn't mention where you'll be living, but if you enjoy a bustling city center, you'll likely find the town center quite lively. Personally, I prefer the natural beauty of the rural areas, and I live near the Llao Llao hotel.

Regarding food, if you have a penchant for spicy cuisine, it might be a good idea to bring your own spices. I've discovered that Argentines generally don't appreciate heat in their food. I enjoy cooking and savoring Thai, Mexican, East Indian, and other highly spiced cuisines, which are not readily available in the local market.

If you have any specific questions or need assistance, feel free to ask. Wishing you and your family all the best!

Hi there,

I've been in Buenos Aires for about a month now, having come from the US with my Argentinian husband and baby to visit family. In 10 days, we're heading to Bariloche, where my husband has a house. I've been there once before but only for a short stay of 4 or 5 days.

I'm reaching out to see if anyone has any advice about living in Bariloche. Are there specific things I should take with me that might be cheaper to get here in Buenos Aires? Additionally, I'm interested in connecting with other English-speaking people in the area, especially those with babies. If you have any insights or opinions about life in Bariloche, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks in advance for any information or tips you can share.
Bariloche is really beautiful. My family and I go down at least once or twice a year for vacation. It's really peaceful and pristine. Personally for me it's too quiet and a bit boring after 10 days. I don't think I could live there permanently because I like bigger cities and more things to do.

But if you are raising a family it could be a good lifestyle. The air is much cleaner than a place like Buenos Aires and it's much safer there than Buenos Aires.

What I find is the cost of living seems higher for some things like groceries. The groceries there seem more expensive than Buenos Aires with not as good of a selection as most of the grocery stores are quite small there compared to Buenos Aires. So you are limited on food items.

The drivers there are bad but not as bad as Buenos Aires, although I have to say that I've been going there for 7 years and it seems like the same pot holes in the streets are still there in the same places year after year.

Not as many restaurant choices as big cities but there is plenty of good restaurants there. If you like the outdoors it will be paradise for you as the skiing is quite good, you have the Lake and it's really scenic. If you like small towns it's really good.

I just find it boring after about a week but I guess sometimes boring is good..... Good luck.

I'm considering a move to Bariloche from Buenos Aires. However, I've heard that not all neighborhoods in Bariloche are desirable. For instance, I've been told that Barrio Frutillar is considered very impoverished, almost like a villa. On the other hand, there's a relatively new neighborhood called Barrio Las Victorias, where the plots are priced around $30,000 to $35,000. Interestingly, these plots were considerably cheaper, around $15,000 to $20,000, just two years ago.

Hello! I'm guessing you've already made the move and settled in, given that I'm responding five months later. We also moved here with my Argentinian husband and kids, coming from Florida. We've been in Bariloche for almost a year and are currently building a house on the Peninsula. If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to email me.

thanks so much nicole. do you have any other advice? any particular neighborhoods you recommend? will it be easy to get internet connected if it is not advertised with it already in place?

do you think i will need a car? if so can i buy and insure something with my us driver's license on a tourist visa?

and any advice on finding ski/mountaineering/climbing partners once i do arrive?

thanks again!

About the skiing thing. I don't ski so I'm not really sure. But there are place to rent ski equipment so they may be able to help you find people.

I don't know about the car thing either. MY husband took care of ours and he's Argentinian, but I'm still driving around a year an 1/2 later with my Florida DL. You probably won't need a car. They seem to have a good bus system.

The internet should be easy to get. I'm sure you aren't going to move as far from town as I am. We are currently using Personal's stupid internet which is like having dial up, but the real internet companies have great internet.

I have been looking into going to Bariloche to live off-season. People tell me that most of the houses/apartments are "summer houses," which means no insulation or heating system. You can try electric or propane heaters, but without insulation it's like living in a tent, and your energy bills will be high. Something to consider.

In December-March it seems a good portion of the population of Argentina gravitates to that area. If you don't like crowds (like me) bear this in mind. I prefer to spend those months in BsAs,

I am currently on the coast in Uruguay, got a good deal on a "summer house" and my climate situation is described in the first paragraph. Beautiful area, though. The price of electricity in this country is off the charts.

I have been looking into going to Bariloche to live off-season. People tell me that most of the houses/apartments are "summer houses," which means no insulation or heating system. You can try electric or propane heaters, but without insulation it's like living in a tent, and your energy bills will be high. Something to consider.

In December-March it seems a good portion of the population of Argentina gravitates to that area. If you don't like crowds (like me) bear this in mind. I prefer to spend those months in BsAs,

I am currently on the coast in Uruguay, got a good deal on a "summer house" and my climate situation is described in the first paragraph. Beautiful area, though. The price of electricity in this country is off the charts.
I don't know about the summer house thing, but house here seem to be made from either brick or wood. The brick houses obviously their is no where to put the insulation, but & other peopple we know are building wood houses & insualtion is definitly going in them. We rented an all brick house for a year that had cracks & you could feel the cold coming in certain spots & our bills weren't high at all. Everyone has heating & if for some bizare reason you find a place that doesn't they sell electric wall heaters, which is what we currently are using. So I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Back