Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

CaliMacs

Palermo is abuzz with pot bangers.

How is it in your area? Not quite like it was in 2001, but there you go.

I'm afraid this protest isn't going to go anywhere. I'm not being cynical or anything. Just considering the fact that these protesters probably all have jobs and don't have the liberty to protest all night long. Unlike the protesters brought in by the queen and her cronies who live on the money given to them to protest.

They could have picked a better day.

Oh well, at least they're trying. I hope they don't start burning crap like the K's people do because then I'd find it really hard to support their movement.

Quite funny to watch the spins on tv. Clarin owned TN making lots of noise on their copper bottomed pots about the anti corruption protest in Belgrano, Barrio North and Recoleta, whereas chanel 7 (goverment chanel) is showing the passing of the new law that´s been in the works for past few years, K stating that they are wanting to close the gap between the classes (hence the halt on imports).
I remember last time the campo "closed for business", passing 250 or so trucks parked on the roadside with food rotting inside.
Usually when something as anti Milton Friedman´s free market as this happens, the US of North America usually comes up with a plan that involves regular folk getting burned, tortured, starved or disappeared.
But rest assured that there will be big bucks to be made at the other end!

Stay tuned for the "shock therapy".

I'm still waiting for a thread that is "Argentina only" and doesnt have the USA pulled into it for whatever goddamned reason.

I'm still waiting for a thread that is "Argentina only" and doesnt have the USA pulled into it for whatever goddamned reason.
No country is an island, not even countries that are islands, let alone 4th largest countries..
That country doesn´t exist in the civilised world

This is a small tremor.
A sign.
The people are biding their time.
I'm no revolutionary, but I do see discomfort, anxiety and disquiet.

Same thing happened in 2001. The cacerolazos are tentative at first. Next time, there might be enough people in the streets to stop traffic at Cabildo and Juramento for an hour or so. And it will continue from there until one night they all end up taking a little walk downtown. Then things get really interesting. I hope it can be avoided. I hope she listens to this tremor. She probably won't. Christina and Co. are "all in".

This is a small tremor.
A sign.
The people are biding their time.
I'm no revolutionary, but I do see discomfort, anxiety and disquiet.
Yup. Agree with you. It's a matter of whose back is broken first under this burden. Whether its the peaceful protesters or the ones who will wreak havoc on the streets. I hope it's the former and not the latter, but we'll see what happens.

My very Kirchnerista workmate's take on the cacerolazo was that it is the rich crying because they are not allowed dollars - that these rich expect us (the poor, downtrodden) to go without essentials like food, etc so that they can keep up their habit of buying dollars and travelling freely around the world. So they head out into the street and make all sorts of quilombo, disrupting the lives of the ordinary citizen (???!)
It was interesting to hear en vivo y directo what the typical K take on the cacerolazo was.
On another note, my husband says that 50 years ago, a famous Argentine political comedian did a sketch on spending the day buying and selling dollars and making a small profit. The 'dollar' culture is very old and very ingrained in Argentine society.

My very Kirchnerista workmate's take on the cacerolazo was that it is the rich crying because they are not allowed dollars - that these rich expect us (the poor, downtrodden) to go without essentials like food, etc so that they can keep up their habit of buying dollars and travelling freely around the world. So they head out into the street and make all sorts of quilombo, disrupting the lives of the ordinary citizen (???!)
It was interesting to hear en vivo y directo what the typical K take on the cacerolazo was.
On another note, my husband says that 50 years ago, a famous Argentine political comedian did a sketch on spending the day buying and selling dollars and making a small profit. The 'dollar' culture is very old and very ingrained in Argentine society.
Wonder what her take is on Madame K and all her cronies stashing their loot in dollars? Here is a take from one of my pot banging friends:
" The main government spokesman for the theme that Argentinians should "think in Pesos," who was long Cristina's chief of staff and now is a senator, was asked yesterday on the radio about his own substantial savings in Dollars and he snapped, "I bought them because I felt like it, what I do with my money is my business, I'm not about to exchange them for Pesos now and lose money, and by the way, they are in a safe place (i.e., not in a bank)." How rich is that? His comments helped fuel the cacerolazo last night. Today's La Nación has a story about the savings held by La Presidenta and her cabinet members in Dollars. She has over US$3 million stashed away. Her VP has 94% of his savings in Dollars, the Minister of Foreign Affairs has 86%, the Justice Minister has 98%, and so on. "

Wonder what her take is on Madame K and all her cronies stashing their loot in dollars? Here is a take from one of my pot banging friends:
" The main government spokesman for the theme that Argentinians should "think in Pesos," who was long Cristina's chief of staff and now is a senator, was asked yesterday on the radio about his own substantial savings in Dollars and he snapped, "I bought them because I felt like it, what I do with my money is my business, I'm not about to exchange them for Pesos now and lose money, and by the way, they are in a safe place (i.e., not in a bank)." How rich is that? His comments helped fuel the cacerolazo last night. Today's La Nación has a story about the savings held by La Presidenta and her cabinet members in Dollars. She has over US$3 million stashed away. Her VP has 94% of his savings in Dollars, the Minister of Foreign Affairs has 86%, the Justice Minister has 98%, and so on. "
Not only this but take a look at the hard numbers of how much CFK's net worth has increased since her husband took office. Look at the vast real estate portfolio they own! Then look at the annual salary of her now deceased husband and her. She buys $700 US shoes and $3,000 outfits.

So don't just look at her cash in banks around the world but just look INSIDE Argentina and look at the millions upon millions of dollars in apartments, houses, hotels, commercial buildings her family has purchased over the past 8 years.

Back