Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Expat Documentary Film

Adrianwen

Hello everyone at expatsba.com!

I'm Ariel Enrique Wapnir, a filmmaker based in Los Angeles, and I'm excited to share that I'll be making the move to Buenos Aires in February. While I am originally from Buenos Aires, I've spent most of my life in the United States since the age of 4. So, while my return may blur the lines of being a traditional expat, I'm eager to reconnect with my roots.

Currently, I'm in pre-production for a documentary titled "LEAVING AMERICA," scheduled to start filming in Buenos Aires this March. During my visit to Buenos Aires in October, I conducted preliminary interviews with American expats, and now I'm reaching out to connect with more expats, both those already in Argentina and those planning a move in the near future.

As a first-time participant on this platform, I want to respect the community norms and not delve too deeply into the project's details. However, I'd love to provide a brief overview and encourage anyone interested to reach out to share their stories – who knows, you might end up being a part of our film!

Overview of "LEAVING AMERICA":

Is America no longer the Land of Opportunity? While the United States experiences economic, social, and political challenges not seen since the Great Depression, Argentina is undergoing a new wave of immigration, contributing to its status as one of the few economic bright spots globally.

According to the US Consulate in Argentina, over 50,000 Americans are currently registered with them, and estimates suggest there could be up to 200,000 Americans living in the country today. Unlike more traditional expat destinations attracting retirees, Argentina is drawing a younger, educated demographic in their 20s and 30s.

"LEAVING AMERICA" aims to delve into the lives of several expats – exploring their motivations before and after the move. It seeks to understand what drives tens of thousands to leave behind their homes, careers, family, and friends in the US and choose Argentina, a place where many arrived not speaking the language or knowing anyone.

I'm eager to hear your comments and suggestions as I embark on this exciting journey.

Thanks!

I think the documentary is a great idea. send me a private message when you can as i've got some great input i can give you. thanks.

I agree, change the title -- after 5+ years living here, I can assure you that Argentines consider themselves part of America as well.

I'll be curious how you'll interview people before AND after their move to see how they're doing, since most expats only stay for 6 months or so, 2 years seems to be the time most bail, and those of us that stick around any longer are certainly not doing it because we've found the place to be in the midst of an economic boom -- I'd go so far as to say that most of us in your age range who have hung around as long as me are either worse off or stuck on a plateau compared to where they were when they arrived -- the expat success rates in the 20s-30s crowd (and of American nationality) are very low.

"Argentina...economic bright spot"

HUH??? Argentina's inflation is about 25% - 30% a year. You call that economic bright spot? If that is a "bright spot" I don't want to see your version of problems. The USA has it's own bag of problems but it's still easier in the USA to find a good qualified job vs. Argentina for most American ex-pats.

The truth remains that most expats that come to Argentina to start businesses have failed after a short amount of time. Or if they didn't they really aren't making much money. I only know a very small handful that have been successful here in Argentina. Most pack up their bags and go home after a short amount of time.

More people are moving back out of it vs. coming in.... It will be interesting to see your documentary.....

Back