Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Did you learn to speak Spanish in Argentina? If so, what is the reaction of those you speak with when you use your Castellano?

earlyretirement

I took some Spanish in high school but didn't really pay attention and only took it because I had to. Then I mostly learned in Buenos Aires once I moved there. I went to Lenguas Vives and had a private tutor as well. When I travel around Latin America people always comment on my Castellano and asked me if I lived in Argentina. (Then typically make some Argentine joke). I've found that many in Latin America make fun of Argentines. Sometimes in a good way and sometimes in a bad way.

In the $1 USD = $1 Argentine peso days, Argentines were traveling all over the world. If you look at their passports during those days, they were traveling all over. I think some in Latin America were resentful that life was so good for Argentines and how they had it so bad. Now, the shoe is on the other foot for many Argentines. Of course, there are still a LOT of wealthy Argentines that still travel all over.

I use the strong double ll in calle and use vos. I don't use the typical Argentine words like che or boludo like almost all Argentines do but I was curious if those of you living here in Argentina speak Castellano and what the reaction is when you use it while traveling?

I was born in Buenos Aires and lived here all my life. I travel in Spain very often to visit family. I travel all over South America and people get a smile when I use Castellano accent. I never notice people joke in bad way. But yes it true many in Latin America jealous of Argentina in the 1:1 days.

I took some Spanish in high school but didn't really pay attention and only took it because I had to. Then I mostly learned in Buenos Aires once I moved there. I went to Lenguas Vives and had a private tutor as well. When I travel around Latin America people always comment on my Castellano and asked me if I lived in Argentina. (Then typically make some Argentine joke). I've found that many in Latin America make fun of Argentines. Sometimes in a good way and sometimes in a bad way.

In the $1 USD = $1 Argentine peso days, Argentines were traveling all over the world. If you look at their passports during those days, they were traveling all over. I think some in Latin America were resentful that life was so good for Argentines and how they had it so bad. Now, the shoe is on the other foot for many Argentines. Of course, there are still a LOT of wealthy Argentines that still travel all over.

I use the strong double ll in calle and use vos. I don't use the typical Argentine words like che or boludo like almost all Argentines do but I was curious if those of you living here in Argentina speak Castellano and what the reaction is when you use it while traveling?
Yeah I also learned Spanish in Argentina. It's not perfect but I can get by. People also smile when I use vos and I do use che and boludo as I'm always hanging out with my Porteño friends. You can go anywhere in the world and when they hear che they know you are from Argentina.

I agree that when I go to Mexico they are always joking around about Argentines.

Ha! I love being Argentine. We have our own language that is unique. My friends in Latin America when I visit them always make fun of me and laugh. It is funny. They always call me Che and use vos all the time. That is how I get my name! My friends all call me Che Vos when I travel. Not my local friends. I don't remember the $1+1 Peso days. I too young but I read about it in the books. My family talk about it all the time.

I very proud to be from Argentina.

I'm taking classes with Argentine tutors and watching mainly Argentine Spanish tutorials. I do the "sh" sound for the "ll and y" and the extended stress, so instead of bolUdo, I say boluUudo. Nowhere near the correct accent placement nor fluidity and fluency to convince anyone that I'm not a gringo.

Some of the resources I'm finding are dreaming spanish for listening, mimic method and 10 minute spanish for pronunciation and accent, in addition to online tutors.

I'm taking classes with Argentine tutors and watching mainly Argentine Spanish tutorials. I do the "sh" sound for the "ll and y" and the extended stress, so instead of bolUdo, I say boluUudo. Nowhere near the correct accent placement nor fluidity and fluency to convince anyone that I'm not a gringo.

Some of the resources I'm finding are dreaming spanish for listening, mimic method and 10 minute spanish for pronunciation and accent, in addition to online tutors.
Good resources. I've found the best is just practicing. I spent time here and didn't really get good until I found a girlfriend and she just made me practice my Spanish. I'm still not fluent but can communicate. Kudos to keeping up with it.

I think the Argentine Spanish is so cool. Very recognizable around the world. I just learned in college and it's funny how when you don't use the strong ll (double ll) some taxis won't even understand it at all!
I agree! I laugh because the first time I came to Buenos Aires, I could speak decent Spanish. Conversational as by that time I was traveling around South America quite a bit. But I remember the first time I asked a taxi driver to take me to Callao and without the strong SH sound the taxi driver couldn't even imagine what it could be. Even with knowing the rest of Latin America uses ll differently they only have their own sound in mind.

In Mexico when they heard me using vos and other words and determined that I was living in Argentina, they would always make jokes. One guy was hilarious and was cracking Argentine jokes over and over again. He said, "why do Argentines look up at the sky during a lightning storm? Because they think God is taking a photo of them!". Ha.

Back