Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

StarLucias

Has anyone successfully carried a substantial amount of cash out of Argentina and made it through customs without any issues? While the process of declaring cash when leaving the US or EU is relatively straightforward, it seems that in Argentina, declaring cash might be an open invitation for AFIP or airport staff to potentially steal or confiscate it. I'm curious if anyone has personal experiences or insights to share on this matter.

Has anyone successfully carried a substantial amount of cash out of Argentina and made it through customs without any issues? While the process of declaring cash when leaving the US or EU is relatively straightforward, it seems that in Argentina, declaring cash might be an open invitation for AFIP or airport staff to potentially steal or confiscate it. I'm curious if anyone has personal experiences or insights to share on this matter.
There are plenty of expats on this board who are looking to bring cash INTO Argentina. It would be easier (and safer) for you to give them the cash here and have them wire their funds to your bank account abroad.

Declaring that you are leaving the country with more than $10K in cash is an invitation for trouble. How many people are going to see that form? Would you tell a complete stranger in Argentina that you have that kind of cash on you? Maybe I have been living here for too long, but I just don't trust strangers here with that kind of information.

Plus you have NO IDEA what they are going to do. Maybe they are going to want to see it and count it. Are you then going to pull out all your cash in the middle of the EZE airport while the AFIP employees count it? Are they going to count it privately or in the open in front of everyone. You know the AFIP/Aduanas desk is right in the middle of the check-in lines, in plain view of hundreds of other people.

This just seems like a very risky plan and despite the fact that I don't know you, from one expat to another, let me just try to discourage you from this. People here, especially in positions of authority, are not to be trusted.

There are plenty of expats on this board who are looking to bring cash INTO Argentina. It would be easier (and safer) for you to give them the cash here and have them wire their funds to your bank account abroad.

Declaring that you are leaving the country with more than $10K in cash is an invitation for trouble. How many people are going to see that form? Would you tell a complete stranger in Argentina that you have that kind of cash on you? Maybe I have been living here for too long, but I just don't trust strangers here with that kind of information.

Plus you have NO IDEA what they are going to do. Maybe they are going to want to see it and count it. Are you then going to pull out all your cash in the middle of the EZE airport while the AFIP employees count it? Are they going to count it privately or in the open in front of everyone. You know the AFIP/Aduanas desk is right in the middle of the check-in lines, in plain view of hundreds of other people.

This just seems like a very risky plan and despite the fact that I don't know you, from one expat to another, let me just try to discourage you from this. People here, especially in positions of authority, are not to be trusted.
I totally agree with this post. I'd definitely NOT declare anything in Argentina. If you feel compelled to declare it, do it on the form entering the country you are going to. On the plane they usually give you a customs form where you have to declare if you have over $10,000 US on it.

But honestly, even then I probably wouldn't do it. I've carried in and out of Argentina plenty of times more than $10,000. Surprisingly, $10,000 doesn't take up hardly any room at all. It will easily fit into any decent size passport holder case.

Perhaps living in Argentina many years just got me accustomed to dealing with cash but I'd either just put it in a passport case or put it in your socks or get a case for your legs if you have tons.

I've NEVER had any problem carrying cash in or out of EZE. And I certainly wouldn't declare it before leaving the airport.

what about going for a trip to urugary, as they dont do anything in the way of checks compared to the airport.. You could then do a transfer from there to your home country bank...

The other option i would think about is buying US$ travelers cheque, and then taking that... Is safer and you dont need to declare...

what about going for a trip to urugary, as they dont do anything in the way of checks compared to the airport.. You could then do a transfer from there to your home country bank...

The other option i would think about is buying US$ travelers cheque, and then taking that... Is safer and you dont need to declare...
I think in Uruguay they are more careful now but back a few years ago at least in Uruguay they didn't care. True story, a few years ago my wife and I were in Uruguay where we both have US dollar accounts. We were buying an apartment in Buenos Aires in an opportunity that suddenly became available.

We went across to HSBC in Montevideo and withdrew about $150,000 US. My wife made the mistake of keeping all of these baby food jars in the purse where she had all of the money so the x-ray scanner went off. They emptied all the contents of her purse and they saw 15 bricks of $10,000. The lady at the airport didn't care at all and just asked to take out the baby food.

Of course this was a few years ago and things are much more scrutinized now. The checks on Buquebus are very low key and unless you were bringing a ton of money in....I'm not sure they would hassle you too much leaving.

If you do it, I'd definitely recommend the Buquebus route vs. the airport if you're bringing funds from Uruguay into Argentina.

If you're talking about bringing funds into Uruguay to wire back to the USA, just make sure you have a bank account in Uruguay. Surprisingly it's not as easy to open up a bank account in Uruguay if you're American. These days, no banks really want to deal with Americans due to increasing reporting requirements. But if you're HSBC Premier, your account officer can help you opening an account. That's the route I took. My bank manager in London just contacted the manager there in Uruguay and they opened it. But that was many years ago. I've talked to some Americans lately that had problems opening an account there. A large bank like HSBC is your best bet.

Back