Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Banking Credit Card real-world rate "MEP" transaction repo (Dec2023)

But @Sunny do you root more for a stronger blue dollar? I would think no matter what, anyone living on a fixed income would secretly be wishing for a very strong blue dollar. Yes?

No, I don't root for a stronger blue dollar. I root for the economy to be fixed to the point where this country starts working like a normal country. A stronger dollar does not guaranty that I will be able to get the stuff I need, at a decent price and of good quality. When the blue dollar was almost 1,200 pesos, I could buy more things with fewer dollars but, except for food, everything else was either not available or the quality left much to be desired.

I don't want to have to go to Paraguay or Brazil to buy goods, I want to be able to buy them here, at a price that makes sense. You see? Yes, a tourist wants the dollar blue as high as possible, but then they leave the country disappointed because of limited variety, bad quality of things, etc.

No, I don't root for a stronger blue dollar. I root for the economy to be fixed to the point where this country starts working like a normal country. A stronger dollar does not guaranty that I will be able to get the stuff I need, at a decent price and of good quality. When the blue dollar was almost 1,200 pesos, I could buy more things with fewer dollars but, except for food, everything else was either not available or the quality left much to be desired.

I don't want to have to go to Paraguay or Brazil to buy goods, I want to be able to buy them here, at a price that makes sense. You see? Yes, a tourist wants the dollar blue as high as possible, but then they leave the country disappointed because of limited variety, bad quality of things, etc.
***guarantee. 🙄

You make very good points. It good for Argentina to have people like you. Most foreigner people only want strong blue dollar.

Thank you. It is nice to hear an expat that has this attitude. From what I am seeing people do want to see economy improve but not too much to the point they are priced out of Argentina. Argentina was one of the most expensive cities in the world at one point. I know many expats that don't want to see it go to that and if it does they must leave the country.

I have the same feeling. It doesn't do any good if it's very cheap here and I don't feel comfortable walking down the street. I own my own place so I am somewhat insulated but I have some friends renting and they are on very limited fixed income and most important thing to them is low cost of living. They can't afford for things to get more expensive. They only have $X per month and can't exceed that amount and already struggling. Many expats won't admit it but low cost of living is the most important thing to them.

I have the same feeling. It doesn't do any good if it's very cheap here and I don't feel comfortable walking down the street. I own my own place so I am somewhat insulated but I have some friends renting and they are on very limited fixed income and most important thing to them is low cost of living. They can't afford for things to get more expensive. They only have $X per month and can't exceed that amount and already struggling. Many expats won't admit it but low cost of living is the most important thing to them.
Expats like @Sunny are probably not in the majority. Many as you say Betsy first and foremost need a low cost of living. Many will be forced to leave if Argentina keeps getting more expensive. I have friends that keep having to leave different countries as they get too expensive. They are on fixed incomes with their Social Security payments and running out of countries they can live in affordably. One friend lives in Albania and has a fairly miserable life but it's one of the only countries he can afford on his limited income.

One friend lives in Albania and has a fairly miserable life but it's one of the only countries he can afford on his limited income.

Why do you think your friend has a fairly miserable life in Albania. I've heard that the winters can be depressing there, very rainy and cold. Also, even though the country offers universal health, the medical service is rather poor.

They only have $X per month and can't exceed that amount and already struggling.

I often wonder why people on a tight budget would rather move country instead of moving provinces. CABA does offer much more than a small provincial city, but you can't have the cake and eat it too. Plus having to deal with visas, fees, a new language, new culture, all over again.

I often wonder why people on a tight budget would rather move country instead of moving provinces. CABA does offer much more than a small provincial city, but you can't have the cake and eat it too. Plus having to deal with visas, fees, a new language, new culture, all over again.
I wonder the same thing. Some cities outside of CABA are a fraction of the price as CABA. Many beautiful places in this big country and almost all are much cheaper than BA.

Why do you think your friend has a fairly miserable life in Albania. I've heard that the winters can be depressing there, very rainy and cold. Also, even though the country offers universal health, the medical service is rather poor.
Well he doesn't speak the language and she has no real job there. He is living off a meager SS payment which isn't much at all. The photos he sends me he is always just feeding stray dogs. It looks like it rains a lot and cold. I'm not sure about medical care or services but it doesn't look desirable at all besides being a very cheap place to live.

Back