Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Medical Can tourists buy health insurance in AR?

Mart

If you are only going to be here for 3 months, why get health insurance? There is free public health care here. In the event that you need to go to the hospital for anything serious, you could use a public hospital. For anything routine, doctors visits are not expensive to pay out of pocket if you don't want to deal with the wait/hassle of a public hospital.

With most private insurance companies, you will have a waiting period for certain types of coverage. They are also not inexpensive.

Are you doing your internship at an estancia?:confused: They should have someone they recommend out there. You'll need to sign up in person and since Areco is about 90 minutes by car from downtown, I assume you will do it out there. Ask your internship what provider they recommend.

I have OSDE and have had swiss med in the past. Both are top providers.

Remember that you will need to go in person to cancel your health insurance when you leave again. (Still seems like a lot of effort for 3 months but maybe the public hospital out there isn't any good).

I love Areco, enjoy it. One of my fave little towns - albeit very touristy, esp around the summer months. Buy a print by Miguel Gaspirini, he has his studio there and if he's there, he might even write a personalized message.

Health insurance is a good thing to have and it's affordable here, so it's not a bad idea to get it. Public hospitals aren't very good, especially outside the city. After having two close friends end up in public hospitals these past couple of months, and hearing their horror stories of what they went through, there's no way I'd rely on a public hospital unless I had no other choice.

Thank you both! Yeah, I will be at a polo club. I think I will talk to them again and say that will have to take me to sign up when I am there.

Citygirl, thanks for the tip about the print, will check it out!

"it's affordable here"
"it is pretty cheap"

Jeebus! How much is medical insurance in the US?!?
I've got it for my son, but there's no way I can afford it for me - it would work out at about 15% of my disposable income.

I have been having a "wild goose chase" trying OSDE to sign me up.

Their customer service sucks. I sent them a email. No response. I called them up to send me someone to sign me up. No response! I went to one of their office near Alem Subte station. I had a long chat. And asked them to send someone to my house for signing me up and explaining me the fine details in English..No response!

"it's affordable here"
"it is pretty cheap"

Jeebus! How much is medical insurance in the US?!?
I've got it for my son, but there's no way I can afford it for me - it would work out at about 15% of my disposable income.
Good medical insurance in the USA isn't cheap but it's not insanely expensive like some think. We pay a bit more than we were paying in Argentina. We are on a great plan in the USA and since I own a company I self-insure my family. Here are the rates we're paying.

Over 36 years old: $430 US dollars per month

26 to 35 years old: $354 US dollars per month

Kids : $246 US dollars @ per month

We have a similar plan to the OSDE 410 which I consider one of the best in Argentina. This will give you perspective on cost differences between Argentina and the USA.

Good medical insurance in the USA isn't cheap but it's not insanely expensive like some think. We pay a bit more than we were paying in Argentina. We are on a great plan in the USA and since I own a company I self-insure my family. Here are the rates we're paying.

Over 36 years old: $430 US dollars per month

26 to 35 years old: $354 US dollars per month

Kids : $246 US dollars @ per month

We have a similar plan to the OSDE 410 which I consider one of the best in Argentina. This will give you perspective on cost differences between Argentina and the USA.
yes, OSDE 410 looks good. They even say that if the matter is serious, they refer you to doctors in USA for up to 250K.

Do you know much about this part?

How to avail a US health insurance if you are not a resident or a citizen or traveling there but want to have it

yes, OSDE 410 looks good. They even say that if the matter is serious, they refer you to doctors in USA for up to 250K.

Do you know much about this part?

How to avail a US health insurance if you are not a resident or a citizen or traveling there but want to have it
Nope. I have no idea about that part but I'd be leery about them really referring to doctors in the USA. Sounds more like a gimmicky type of thing.

But quite honestly, the doctors we had in Buenos Aires were all excellent. Top end hospitals like Trinidad Medical Center were as modern as most USA hospitals.

I'm not sure in what circumstances they would need to refer out to a physician in the USA but I'm sure they would be quite hesitant to do that.

Hello! I am going to BA for an internship of three months. I will enter as a tourist. I have done lots of searches but not been able to find out if I can buy health insurance in Argentina while on a tourist visa.

I can of course buy insurance in the US, sort of an extended travel insurance, but it is so expensive. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Back