Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Any good recommendation for place to buy a used bike or new bicycle that isn't too expensive in Buenos Aires?

Jackson

I have rented a few bikes but I'm thinking it's easier to just buy a cheaper used bicycle or not sure how much a new bike costs. Can you expats recommend good places to buy one that won't break the bank? Also, is it safe to lock the bike up and any experiences with bike theft? I figured if it's not worth much people wouldn't be motivated to steal it vs. more expensive unit.

I can buy some brand-new bikes at this store. I have a few friends that have purchased online and delivered quickly. Not sure your budget but these are around $200 USD to $250 USD.

You can always just go on Mercado Libre. Probably Fravega also lists bikes there. Just keep in mind some used are more expensive than the new ones! So you may just want to buy a new one. Lots of bike crashes here so you don't know the quality of the used ones.

You may want to check out this thread:

Just keep in mind that there are many many bicycle thefts here. I used to have a bike and it got stolen. I had a really good quality lock too. I just went up to my dentist for a cleaning and when I was done it was gone. Unless you can bring your bike in, I'm not sure I'd recommend a bike these days unless you can keep an eye on it or high traffic area.

My wife also had her bike stolen. Middle of the day. I don't think these people care. They are really quick. You can try the Facebook Marketplace for Buenos Aires as well.

Back