Explore, connect, thrive in
the expat community

Expat Life: Local Discoveries, Global Connections

Food & Drink A must-visit when you come to Buenos Aires - The San Telmo Market

Cariba

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Buenos Aires! If you're looking for an authentic and charming experience, you can't miss the San Telmo Market. This iconic market, nestled in the heart of the picturesque San Telmo neighborhood, is a gem that offers a true immersion into Argentine culture.

As you step into the market, you'll encounter a fascinating mix of colors, flavors, and aromas. From stalls of fresh and exotic fruits to antique shops and crafts stores, the San Telmo Market is a paradise for both shoppers and the curious alike.

The bustling and welcoming atmosphere of the market will envelop you as you explore narrow aisles filled with local treasures. Here, you can interact with friendly vendors, taste local delights, and discover unique pieces of Argentine art and design.

Moreover, the market houses small cafes and food stalls offering authentic culinary delights. From empanadas and barbecue to traditional sweets, each bite is an opportunity to savor the rich gastronomy of Buenos Aires.

Don't miss the chance to visit the San Telmo Market during your stay. It's an experience that goes beyond shopping; it's a journey into the vibrant heart of Argentine
culture. Enjoy an unforgettable afternoon immersing yourself in the unique essence of San Telmo!

What else?

Do you like antiques, family portraits in black and white, or toys from the last century? Do you want to try Middle Eastern shawarma, empanadas salteñas, a good raclette, the best choripán or have a cup of coffee with beans brought from some exotic country? Do you feel like picking up some hard-to-get spices, a malbec from Mendoza or a paté from Patagonia? Well, you can do all that (and much more!) by going to just one place: the San Telmo Market is waiting for you with its doors open.

The San Telmo Market isn't just a marketplace; it's a celebration of Argentina's identity, a place where the soul of the country is palpable in every corner. Immerse yourself in this cultural haven, savoring the unique flavors, sights, and sounds that make Argentina truly special.

1701200233630.jpeg1701200280785.jpeg1701200457762.jpeg1701200510449.jpeg1701200558426.jpeg1701200616243.jpeg1701200656687.jpeg1701200696407.jpeg

Email: elmercadodesantelmo@gmail.com
FB: Mercado San Telmo Oficial
IG: @elmercadosantelmo

Last edited:
I love San Telmo but I dont' like the direction it is heading in. I read earlyretirement's comments about Soho turning into 'Disneyland' and I think to an extent the same thing is happening in San Telmo. It used to only be like that on Sundays but I see it more and more with only tourists and expats. I'm not saying expats are a bad thing as I am one (born and raised in NYC). But I would have to imagine for a local it's disheartening to see prices going up on everything and all the local apartments turned into Airbnb.

Fortunately the locals still seem to love tourism but I was recently in Medellin and for the first time I saw many signs telling locals to go home. Here is a sign in Medellin hung up on a store front. Things in Medellin are taking a turn for the worse with locals blaming tourists and Expats for driving up the cost on everything. But what they don't realize is inflation is happening everywhere.

Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 12.25.44 PM.jpg

Last edited:
I love San Telmo but I dont' like the direction it is heading in. I read earlyretirement's comments about Soho turning into 'Disneyland' and I think to an extent the same thing is happening in San Telmo. It used to only be like that on Sundays but I see it more and more with only tourists and expats. I'm not saying expats are a bad thing as I am one (born and raised in NYC). But I would have to imagine for a local it's disheartening to see prices going up on everything and all the local apartments turned into Airbnb.

Fortunately the locals still seem to love tourism but I was recently in Medellin and for the first time I saw many signs telling locals to go home. Here is a sign in Medellin hung up on a store front. Things in Medellin are taking a turn for the worse with locals blaming tourists and Expats for driving up the cost on everything. But what they don't realize is inflation is happening everywhere.
This is definitely true about Medellin. While it's not to the boiling point, it's more noticeable. I also posted a post on Twitter and it was amazing how many Colombians voiced their opinion that they do NOT want any more tourism. Colombians are more low brow vs. the more sophisticated Argentines. But I was shocked that so many from Medellin are blaming the tourists for everything now.

Back